Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-31-2009, 7:25 PM Reply   
Well, I just got my system fired up, and my sub is shaking the crap out of my whole dash area and my glove box looks like its about to explode.

What have you guys been using to dampen the vibrations? I know about dynamat, but is there anything else? possibly a cheaper version, or other options?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-31-2009, 10:11 PM Reply   
CR, this is an effective product. You can paint it on or use a spray can they sell.
http://www.quietsolution.com/html/quietcoat.html
The rattles are vibration tuned to the frequency of the noise. Adding mass changes the frequency that the surface vibrates at. Some of the noise energy gets converted to heat as it's absorbed, but you wouldn't notice the temperature change.

The other solution is just to add some foam between parts that vibrate to dampen the rattle.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-31-2009, 10:14 PM Reply   
just add more subs.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-01-2009, 6:19 AM Reply   
yeah, i agree ^^^ - if you can hear the rattles - its not loud enough!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-01-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
some boats rattle more than others, my 04 SSV rattled liek crazy. I tired all kinds of stuff. Some installers were using spray foam ( great stuff) but it's a mess if it gets in wiring. My 07 SSV is better but still rattles some. I keep all subs aways from the glovebox if possible. I now will shove stratigically plazed koozies down between the windshield and dash to stop rattle, I quit trying to prevent it. You stop one rattle then another will "pop" up.

(Message edited by acurtis_Ttu on April 01, 2009)
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-01-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
my sub is under the helm... so EVERYTHING under there is shaking like crazy, but the thing that surprised me was the lid of the glove box hopping around like it is...

i'd like to avoid spray stuff just because of the mess.

as long as i get the major ones taken care of, i'll be ok with that. i know i'll never be able to stop all of them...

fyi, its a jl 13w6 with an alpine pdx 1.1000. ported box.