Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 06, 2004

Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       06-03-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
The WB pro tour is considering some new sites for 2005 and 06 - Here are the criteria to consider if you think you might have a place. And BTW - I already submitted Creve Cour in St Louis.
Location must have:

Nearby population that will support a large turnout.
Body of water that has dependable water conditions (preferably sheltered from wind)
Ability to limit boat traffic at site (during event)
Place for ample parkway nearby (if not on site)
Access for vehicles to set up tour site.
A space relatively flat and at least (2500ft by 300ft )
Permitable from Wednesday to Monday
Electrical power nearby
Preferably easily accessible from major highway.
Good viewing area ¡V no major obstructions from tress/bushes
Potential course must be at least (1500 feet) and have ample turning radii/depth for towboats
Water quality?? (in terms of floating debris and chemicals in the water/mud)
Hotels / restaurants / points of interest relatively close
Nice to be near a major airport (within 30- minutes)

If you have some place that you think fits these points, email ProToursite@hotmail.com

Thanks for your help Lloyd Murray

Old    jakeman            06-03-2004, 4:59 PM Reply   
Lloyd
we have an excellent place for a contest
in Tampa
I will PM you

late/jake
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-03-2004, 6:14 PM Reply   
We had an INT tournament in DuQouin, IL. I know it sounds like the backwoods, and it is, but it's where the State Fairgrounds are - ample parking, two private ski lakes, room for trailers and not far from an expressway. The midwest would LOVE to get a piece of the Pro Tour!
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-03-2004, 8:36 PM Reply   
What about Ft. Lauderdale where they used to have a stop? They had a stop there for years.
Old     (dbo)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-03-2004, 11:11 PM Reply   
hey what about firebird lake outside phoenix. it has grand stands and doesnt have any other boat traffic if there are events. just an idea.

Derek
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-03-2004, 11:14 PM Reply   
Delta
Old    leftcoastpunk            06-03-2004, 11:41 PM Reply   
Firebird is no good. Its salt water laced with jet fuel from the hydroplane boat races. Phoenix would be a great place for a tour stop though, Town Lake held the big air challenge a few years back, but I heard that the walls created rollers.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-04-2004, 12:56 AM Reply   
Redwood Shores CA
or
Foster City CA

Many small arena style lagoons.
Tons of people.
Totally controlled water access.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-04-2004, 12:59 AM Reply   
...but salt water, dane.

Yucky and hard on the knees.
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       06-04-2004, 5:27 AM Reply   
Lloyd,

How about good ol Lake St. Louis....if not, Creve Ceour Lake.

Tim
Old    handyman            06-04-2004, 6:01 AM Reply   
I think Town Lake or Lake Austin in Austin Texas would be a great venue. They both meet all criteria. Great location (right off of I-35 in the middle of Austin).
Old    elentz5            06-04-2004, 6:16 AM Reply   
I know that everybody sure enjoyed watching the Pro's ride when the tour came through OKC a few years back.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-04-2004, 7:19 AM Reply   
Lake Meritt
Old    txwkbrdr06            06-04-2004, 7:26 AM Reply   
Definitely Lake Austin! Tons of Texans would definitely make the drive to see the Tour if it was there... not to mention the fact that it would be in/near Austin, one of the coolest cities in the US and deamed one of the top three "cities with the most attractive people"! :-)
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-04-2004, 7:44 AM Reply   
the lower lake at Castaic, you could have the whole lake to yourselves and it is set up for this kind of stuff, they have boat drags and such there every once in a while, and there is already a slider there,
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-04-2004, 8:02 AM Reply   
come over to the UK, anywhere will have you i'm sure,

i know there's a lot of people who would come watch
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-04-2004, 8:11 AM Reply   
Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey (largest lake in NJ)

They had powerboat races 2 weekends ago. They have a State Park on the lake with plenty of parking. It would be great to have pro's come out to Jersey! :-)
Old     (newgard)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-04-2004, 8:12 AM Reply   
Island Lake off of highway 694 in Minnesota is a great location. Has everything you need and then some. Bring the tour to the land of a thousand lakes, where waterskiing was born and where wakeboarding lives strong.
Old     (shewakes)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-04-2004, 8:24 AM Reply   
I second that idea of the Delta!
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-04-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
Lake Hopatcong also has a Malibu Boat Dealership on the lake. It's so easy to get here its right off Interstate 80. You would get a lot of people to come from New Jersey, Pennsylvania and some NY.

Another area might be Lake George in Upstate NY. It's a real clean huge lake in the adirondacks and great nightlife. Liquid Force Riders are stopping there for their trip across america there this year in august. It's definetly one of the best lakes the Northeast.
Old     (millah)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-04-2004, 8:46 AM Reply   
Reno/Sparks again!!!!!
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-04-2004, 9:09 AM Reply   
Sacramento does very well with the Malibu Open. It would do well with another stop.
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-04-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
Didn't they run the tour through Vancouver a few years back (at Albert Dyck park)? I guess if they still have the kellowna stop it might not make sense, but it seems like a fantastic site for it.
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-04-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
Lloyd-
there are several places here in NC- Charlotte has a few spots that could host an event like this- I'll talk to Maeghan about it and see what she thinks-
they had it at Oak Hollow in High Point a few years back-
take care and talk to you later-

Alex
Old     (tktige)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-04-2004, 11:01 AM Reply   

Lloyd,
Second the idea for Charlotte, NC Lake Norman would be your Biggest turnout. You also have the Lake I board on called Mountain Island Lake almost always flat great water.
TK
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-04-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
firebird lake in chandler Arizona would be perfect. They used to have the waterski pro tour stop there. Loyd, Talk to Ryan Wolf. I took him out there yesterday.

(Message edited by brinks on June 04, 2004)
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-04-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
Lake Natomas near Folsom, CA.

http://www.csusaquaticcenter.com/html/new_facility.html
http://www.csusaquaticcenter.com/html/waterskiing.html

It's got everything you need. Check out the links.
Old    ldurnal            06-04-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
Town Lake in Austin definitely! More of a river that runs straight through town with parks that run along each side that host festivals, concerts, etc. all year round. We even had Red Bull Flugtag (sp?)one year and that MTV x-fest or whatever it was years ago. Lots of live music and clubs/bars/resturaunts concentrated in the downtown area. I drool while staring at all of that butter every morning when I cross the river headed to work. Even on windy days conditions aren't bad. One drawback....I don't think they allow motorized boats on that section of the river. They might make an exception if they thought it would bring in enough money though. I haven't been everywhere but I can't think of a betterplace to have a stop with the numerous other attractions Austin has to offer. Lake Austin would be 2nd choice if you could block boat traffic. JMHO
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-04-2004, 2:15 PM Reply   
Town Lake would be pretty near perfect if you could get the permits. I can't really imagine a better venue.

The fact that they don't normally allow motor boats is actually a plus. The tournament boats would be the only boats on the water.

I think I heard something about people trying to get a tournament approved in the past though and the city wasn't interested. They might be more open now.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-04-2004, 2:15 PM Reply   
somewhere in washington
Old     (columbiatch)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-04-2004, 2:28 PM Reply   
Wisconsin Dells)!!! Bring some action to the midwest. The Tommy Bartlet Ski show has it's base set up here. They have an amphetheater on the water for their shows that seats 5000+, there are tons of hotels and attractions around. It's a great vacation spot that should be able to draw a crowd.
The weather is better than Minnesota too . I think they had a college wakeboarding event here a year or two ago.

http://www.tommybartlett.com

http://www.dells.com/

It'll be better than just a lake out in the middle of nowhere.
Old    reddog25cf            06-04-2004, 2:34 PM Reply   
I always wondered why there wasn't a stop at Trophy Lakes... or am I just a retard and there is?
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       06-04-2004, 5:55 PM Reply   
keep the ideas coming - Great... That's what we need.
Tim - as for Lake St Louis....Ha! Can you imagine that with all the car traffic (not to mention the entire three days of boat traffic....mmmm...I don't think so. CA would deifnately give a big thumbs down.)

Everyone else - What's also helpful is when you comment on someone elses recommendation (good or bad). the more info the better. Saves lots of time.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       06-04-2004, 5:56 PM Reply   
And what about the north east?? Is anyone out there? And don't tell me the Hudson River....
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-04-2004, 6:28 PM Reply   
Vegas!!!! That big pool out in front of the Bellagio!!
Old    absolutofft            06-04-2004, 10:46 PM Reply   
They should move the kelowna event into vancouver outside the science world. The water there is always smooth, there will be a MUCH bigger crowd, there is a large area for spectators compared to the kelowna event as well.

The water conditions at kelowna are really pitiful and really don't allow the competitors to put on the best possible show.
Old     (hyprlightborder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-04-2004, 11:55 PM Reply   
RENO again, the tour is here right now and it kicks Ass, tonight was the World Premier of Scott Byerly's Retrospect video and Eric Ruck played w/ his band...it was a Huge turn out.lots of fun
Old    xxplosive            06-05-2004, 12:46 AM Reply   
I'm gonna have to vote Lake Austin or Town lake.
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       06-05-2004, 7:29 AM Reply   
Lloyd,
I thought you would get a kick out of that. But seriously, somewhere close to STL in the midwest would be fantastic. I'm sure it would attract people from quite a distance.

Tim
Old    tpalmeri            06-05-2004, 7:35 AM Reply   
Lloyd, I would have to second Alex.... NC has a bunch of great lakes. The Mid-Atlantic states has a huge amount of riders. Would be great to see a couple of stops on the eastcoast that were not in Fl...... (not knocking florida in the least bit)
Old     (seahorse)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-05-2004, 7:41 AM Reply   
Wisco! Wisco! Wisco!!
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-05-2004, 12:10 PM Reply   
A Wasaga Beach local writing in. Just please keep Wakestock here! However, the water level is getting really shallow in the Nottawasaga River. Has anyone heard if it's supposed to be here long term?
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-05-2004, 1:27 PM Reply   
Lake Natomas in Ca. would be perfect. They use it to race canoes, but its really big. I that would be a perfect spot.

Danny Turner
HYPOXIC FILMS
hypoxicfilms.com
Old    imac            06-05-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
Has any body mentioned the Channel at Lake Elsinore, Ca. Or Fiesta Island in San Diego, CA.

Just trying to help.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-05-2004, 3:10 PM Reply   
Hey Mac, not enough water at the channel at Elsinore, (or Lake Dettmers as we like to call it) Fiesta would be a blast if they got some decent bathrooms and cleaned it up though huh?? Hey Mac, are you going out to the spring valley comp?hugs, robyn
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-05-2004, 3:13 PM Reply   
Hey Mac, not enough water at the channel at Elsinore, (or Lake Dettmers as we like to call it) Fiesta would be a blast if they got some decent bathrooms and cleaned it up though huh?? Hey Mac, are you going out to the spring valley comp?hugs, robyn
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-05-2004, 3:36 PM Reply   
Lloyd,

I've never understood how Seattle get's passed over. Most of the boarding manufactures are located here. Green Lake would be great for a pro stop. Tons of people, great viewing from all points on the lake, plenty of parking, and access for a large event of this kind.

I've never been able to understand how Blue Lake in Oregon was chosen. Lousy viewing, nothing else to keep people's attention when the event is idle, the water turns into an ocean in minutes due to the breakwaters on the opposite side of the lake, minimal vendor participation, and it's not really close to anything.

In comparison Green lake is minutes away from the U district, Seattle Center, Woodland Park Zoo, and Lake Union. On a nice day, Green Lake is teaming with walkers, runners, bikers, skaters, sunbathers, vollyball, tennis, and basketball. As far as riding conditions are concerned the lake disperses water well due to the gradual shore lines.

If Hyperlite, Obrien, Liquid Force, Jobe, and the others from here were to put some effort forth, you'd have a huge turn out.

Is there something I don't know about that prevents our city from a pro stop???
Old     (pikeax)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-05-2004, 8:59 PM Reply   
Keep it in Dallas/Fort Worth!
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-05-2004, 9:22 PM Reply   
Reno/Sparks again!!
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-05-2004, 9:51 PM Reply   
OK, I haven't read all the posts, but I think its about time the PWT came to the Northeast. There is a whole scene up here that no one seems to know about and the PWT would defenitly promote that scene a lot. I don't know of any ideal locations off the top of my head but think about it, the weather gets just as nice up here as anywhere else in the country and between NY, Boston, and Providence there is defenitly plenty of interest in the North East. Not to mention bringing the PWT near to all those major cities can help spread the word about wakeboarding. I think even if they had one in Philly that would be huge. If they can hold events in the north west, they can do it in the northeast, we have TONS of untouched glassy lakes, and plenty of warm water and weather in the summer. Believe it or not we hit 90's a lot in the summer and thats in Maine. I'm sure there have got to be at least 5 prime locations up here for the PWT to choose from. It would defenitly benefit the sport, and the northeast scene.
Old    abk22            06-05-2004, 10:06 PM Reply   
Tempe Town Lake in Tempe, AZ is a great spot for a tour stop. I even saw an event there about four years ago, but nothing there since then. Besides Firebird lake in Chandler sucks, if you throw a match on the lake it would catch fire. Tempe town lake is less than half a mile from ASU, and I know Axis Ski and Sports could help out with any particulars, they have sponsored a few events in that area.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       06-06-2004, 7:46 PM Reply   
Cliff
The tour did stop in Seattle back in the mid 90's for a few years. It would seem that the support would be there.
Old     (dbo)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-07-2004, 8:12 AM Reply   
hey andy are wakeboarding boats aloud in tempe town lakes or what? i read it was only sailboats and paddle boats.
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-07-2004, 8:49 AM Reply   
Somewhere in Chicago, introduce them to the sport, and be close enough for me to see the tour!!!
Old    leggester            06-07-2004, 9:00 AM Reply   
Soda Lakes Denver CO.

Had a couple pro water ski tourneys in the 80s there. Good site, parking, veiwing, concessionaire area... ...

Right off the exit of Interstate 470 on the West Side of Denver.

http://www.digitalcity.com/denver/entertainment/venue.adp?vid=210378
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-07-2004, 9:50 AM Reply   
I second Cliff with Seattle. I never understood as well how it all gets passed up around here with everything being here. INT does a tourny at Greenlake every year so I don't see why a pro tour stop couldn't. It would be great and would have plenty of turnout.
Old    crazyirish            06-07-2004, 5:41 PM Reply   
I second the idea for Island Lake in Minnesota. I know they had a "Just Ride" stop there a couple years back and I thought it was a pretty sweet set up. Plus, I believe it nicely fits all the criteria you posted.
Old    goose69            06-07-2004, 9:05 PM Reply   
I tried to skim this post and see if this has already been asked and answered. So if it has and I missed it I do apologize. But is this for adding events to the schedule or just moving the locations of the existing events to a new venue?
Old    skippy            06-08-2004, 2:32 AM Reply   
Lloyd,

Let's go global. If Mr Bush and Mr Blair can be friends then why can't we. If the tour de france can use the UK to host a stage then so can you.. If you need any more persuading then the Harley is in the garage and the fridge is full of beer. Help yourself.

If not the the pro tour then the offer is always open for the back yard tour.....
Old     (liquidmarcus)      Join Date: May 2004       06-08-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
Whatever happened to the High Point, NC pro tour stop. I went everytime and the turnout was great. Bring it back!
Old    svfara            06-08-2004, 9:32 AM Reply   
I second Bess' suggestion, we need something up here in the Northeast. I think the last type of pro event up here was quite a few years ago when the Gravity Games were in Providence?
Old    mstar            06-08-2004, 9:49 AM Reply   
lake norman would have an enourmous turn out, right beside one of the largest cities in the se
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-08-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
DC...with the Washington Monument in the backdrop. Or even the reflection pool.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-08-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
NorthEast -
NJ
- Avalon, NJ (Salt Water, tidal, but controllable traffic, Lloyd, Ask JB about this spot, he's been here many times)
- Lake Hopatcong - Hopatcong State Park
- Dayton, NJ (It's a heavy construction training facility, but the owners son is a wakeboarder, and they hold the INT events here)
- Greenwood Lake (do a search for Billy Bender here on the board...he handles the events on Greenwood Lake as far as I know)

NY
- Lake George (Southern Tip Lk George Village, by Fort William Henry) They hold the Ice Racing Events in this location in Feb. Good open spot.

***If you can find a site at one of the finger lakes in Upstate NY you'll see me there...it's beautiful up there...and the water is crystal clear almost 100 ft down!!!

CT
- Candlewood Lake

Don't know about Mass
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-08-2004, 11:04 AM Reply   
I 2nd Kevin's opinions!
BRING IT TO THE NORTH EAST!
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-08-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   
Thats a good list for just three states and I know NH and Mass have a crapload of untouched lakes near campgrounds that fit that criteria perfectly. The PWT DEFENITLY needs to come to the northeast, and its defenitly possible. Northeast all the way baby!
Old     (liquidmarcus)      Join Date: May 2004       06-12-2004, 8:37 PM Reply   
Lake Norman would be a great location, its got everything you need.
Old     (azsufer)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-12-2004, 8:42 PM Reply   
I know that there are certain restrictions, but TEMPE TOWN LAKE in Tempe Arizona. It is a great location that could seat thousands of people all with outstanding views. Of course you could see the riders too not to mention Scottsdale bars a few miles away which could offer some of the pros a great night of activities before a night of competition.

peeeeeace
DILLS
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-12-2004, 9:22 PM Reply   
Danny Turner and John Klein-

Lake Natomas is totally off limits to any vessel with more than a 5hp gasoline engine. Despite having the CSUS Aquatics center there it is controlled by the California State Parks. CSUS does all of the water skiing and wakeboarding on Folsom Lake.

I used to Lifeguard for Folsom Lake and did boat patrol on Lake Natomas. No exceptions were made even though I would love to ride there. It is the perfect riding location buried in a canyone and never gets choppy.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       06-13-2004, 11:10 AM Reply   
jared
"But is this for adding events to the schedule or just moving the locations of the existing events to a new venue?"

I would say that it primarily is for moving locations, but also might include an additional stop.
To everyone else: THanks for all the input - we'll put this together, pass it to World Pub. My guess is the next step will be to refine the list by elevating to the top the one's that appear to have the most potential, and then explore those 5 or 10. Once that is known, I am thinking we'll go to round two for your input on those specific sites.
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-13-2004, 11:30 AM Reply   
Lloyd, be sure to throw in a good word for the Northeast we're long overdue and we'll defenitly make it worth it.

(Message edited by xtremebordgurl on June 13, 2004)
Old    wakeandsno            06-16-2004, 5:56 AM Reply   
I'll second Trophy Lakes in Charleston SC... They had the Wakeboard World Cup and other stops like that there and they had great turnouts...

Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-16-2004, 3:18 PM Reply   
Lloyd, Cliff, the lake that they used to hold it on was lake Ballenger. The only problem with ballenger, was that parking was on the 17th green of a golf course next to it... Green lake would be good, apparently there is a grandfather clause somewhere for the lake sammamish ski club to use it once or twice a year, this is why INT League has an event there every year. the only other reason that it could not be held there, "Is where would you put the BEER garden. other than that, it would be perfect
Old     (purana182)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-16-2004, 9:06 PM Reply   
Freaking SAN DIEGO!!!!! Does it get any better than that, def crwd will be there! Great spot at fiesta Island> ANd tons of local crew to help out. Make it Happen Captain}}}

(Message edited by purana182 on June 16, 2004)