Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old    nicholas9walter            10-03-2004, 8:59 PM Reply   
I am currently looking to buy a wakeboarding boat for expert riders. Unfortunatly, i can not afford a brand new x star or anything close to that category. My budget is around 20 grand, give or take a little, and I'm not sure what to do with it. I've heard 97 malibu response or wakesetter might be the way to go, however, i could use a little direction. Thanks a lot!}
Old     (sangster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-03-2004, 9:03 PM Reply   
Used Sanger V210 for sale in Discover Bay on Discovery Bay Blvd - I think the sign said $26k - seems a little high for used and it looked at least 4 years old.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-03-2004, 9:09 PM Reply   
I would definately look at sangers, mastercrafts malibu and nautiques you will want a v-drive fopr sure. if you cant find a v-drive in your range you will definately want a open bow
Old    nicholas9walter            10-03-2004, 9:13 PM Reply   
yeah, i was looking for an open bow and would really like a ballast system or something to create a larger wake because the riders i'm pulling are very advanced. the v-drives are hard to find for around 20k, does it really make that big of a difference compared to the mid engine?
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-04-2004, 1:47 AM Reply   
Sport Nautique (open bow) with three sacks gives you a wake nearly as nice as a SANTE, and you can find them on the cheap if you are in the right place at the right time. My buddy in AZ just sold his, fully loaded, including Pro Flight tower and full Boss system, for around 19K. The main drawback is lack of space inside with all those sacks, but lead would help out with that if your vehicle can pull it. They're out there. Good luck.

What's up, Kevin? Congrats on the sick riding winning the Dark Friday contest up in Sac this past weekend!
Old    nicholas9walter            10-04-2004, 5:03 AM Reply   
i've heard good things about the toyota epic. what are your thoughts?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-04-2004, 6:16 AM Reply   
Some people love them. Many do not like if for wakeboarding becuase the engine's torque curve is very high - like over 3,500 rpms. With a lot of ballast, you really need to prop down to get out of the hole and hold speed.

Parts has become an issue since they are no longer sold in America.
Old    nicholas9walter            10-04-2004, 11:28 AM Reply   
so get a nautique. not malibu, mastercraft, or this epic thing?
Old     (afwakepilot13)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-04-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
I'd recommend a Sport Nautique also.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-04-2004, 12:03 PM Reply   
My opinions in order of preference:

Sport Nautique or a Super Sport (same as Super Air)

I believe there is also an older Mastercraft with the same whole as the X2.

Sanger V drive
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-04-2004, 12:05 PM Reply   
A used V-Drive Nautique for $20K? Not likely unless it's beat to heck.
Old    epicsrule            10-04-2004, 12:10 PM Reply   
I have the epic and love it. It definently needs the 13x11.5 Acme Prop. After I installed that prop the boat pulls like mad and will handle all the weight u want to put in it. And they look sweet too.
My Epic
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-04-2004, 1:11 PM Reply   
You have a lot of options. The older big name boats are decent choices. Depreciation has already taken tne hit. Resale is pretty good. Most people have their favorites - CC, MC, Malibu, Sanger, etc.

I am a Gekko dealer and offically throw the hat into the ring. If you want new - for $21k a base boat is available. For wakeboarding, you need a few options to set it up properly. Still, about $25k. It will not be the equal of the 210 SAN CC, but it won't break the bank, either.

It just depends upon what you want. Look for characteristis first. Most builders make a decent boat. Make a list of what is important and eliminate boats that don't match. Once you have it narrowed down, test drive and test ride.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-04-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
Used Super Sport or Sport Nautique, or Mastercraft Prostar 205V (Same hull as X-2). Both are hard finds because they are desireable but both are good bets to find a pro size wake for the price.
Old    nicholas9walter            10-04-2004, 2:21 PM Reply   
Is the prostar with x2 hull equal to a malibu response with the sv32 wake hull with a wedge. I'm probably going to go with malibu or mastercraft so any advice would be great. i like the looks of the epic, however, if parts aren't sold in US that would become a big hassle.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-04-2004, 2:30 PM Reply   
It all depends on what kind of wake you like to ride. I've never ridden behind a malibu, but from what I have heard they have a rampy wake compared to the X-2 or Nautique. Malibu owners seem to agree that the wedge does add some vert to the wake. If you are looking for a more vertical wake then the Prostar 205V is for you. I rode behind a 2002 X-Star (X-2) and the wake was pretty impressive stock. From what I've heard the two wakes are different and it will depend on what wake you like to ride. Both boats fit and finish will be good some people have complained about Malibu's older vinyl tearing at the seams though.
Old    nicholas9walter            10-04-2004, 3:24 PM Reply   
well the main goal is the biggest wake possible for more hang time.
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-04-2004, 3:40 PM Reply   
my buddy is sellin a 2000 blue wakesetter its got everything u need
Old    nicholas9walter            10-04-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
it's around 20 grand?
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-04-2004, 3:58 PM Reply   
For the biggest wake possible more people will tend to point in the direction of a used Super Sport or Sport Nautique or a used 205V for the price. Both will provide a nice vert wake for yah.
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-04-2004, 3:59 PM Reply   
like 30 i didnt read ur 1st thread whoops
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-04-2004, 4:03 PM Reply   
nicholas check your email, I have a used MC 205 if you are intersted for a little over 20
Old    nicholas9walter            10-05-2004, 1:07 PM Reply   
1998 centurion elite V-drive???? thoughts on this boat. Brad off here sent me pictures of his boat which is a centurion and i really like it, but don't know anything about it.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-05-2004, 1:14 PM Reply   
Pretty nice boats, I ride behind one very frequently. They have a very sharp wake that isn't easily adjusted. It's great if you like that shape but not for everyone. Check the Sanger V210 & DLX, they have a great adjustable shape and won't break the bank.
Old    nicholas9walter            10-05-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
what do you mean by sharp wake?