Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-07-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
Here are some more comments from your “friendly in-depth Slingshot reviewer,” to help future investigators of Slingshot gear gain the most optimized enjoyment. To skip the story and background version just skip to the bottom to the outline!!!

BOARD: I took a slingshot demo out again for a ride, but the store only had a limited selection for demos. I was forced to be satisfied with a 142 recoil which would normally be too large for me at 6’ tall and 165 lbs. I’ve tried a few traditional (non flex) boards at that size, but never liked them due to the extra size and bulk. I’ve tried both boards already and so was not completely disappointed, especially since I was getting it for some fellow wakeboarding palls to ride.
When I took my set I was surprised how readily comfortable I felt on the larger board. In fact, I think I felt even more comfortable on the larger board, and the air time/ ease of obtaining air was greater. I was getting 12 feet of air (normal jump, not a railey or anything) as reported by the other three guys in the boat, Granted, I was wakeboarding behind a slammed boat (though older and small, put out a very nice wake) with a home made tower extender. However, I went out again on another day behind more of an average family wakeboard boat and tweaked my back on a normal heel-side jump due to the rope tension pulling my arms out past extension. (rope length was set at 65 they said. My wife took pics on a disposable, hopefully they are good and I can post them)
Now I want to try out the response in a larger size! My theory for liking a longer board is one or both of two ideas: 1.) Due to its larger size, the board can store more energy in its flex to give you greater pop, like putting a larger and longer rubber band on a wrist sling shot 2.) I am gaining sufficient experience to harness the energy-loading spring action of the board. (I’ve been out on a total of 5 sets with slingshot gear)
Tighten the fin screws often. The fins work loose quickly, especially with all the flex action at the tips of the board. The binding screws I feel are less of a worry. I’ve checked them once and a while and always they were just about as tight as before.

BINDINGS: While out on the slammed boat with the tower extender, one of the other guys who tried the board hurt his ankle. Despite the binding was too small for him, he felt the ankle support was lacking, he also didn’t like the laces, as most people have/will agree. After using the gear several times I have gotten to the point where I am quite used to the lace system and can pull the board on and off almost as fast as with other bindings. Both board and bindings take time getting used to. If I bought my own gear I would definitely shorten the laces though!
As for ankle support (personally I think they are fine) … I think I can see why they could be lacking in ankle support. The slingshot bindings open up far wider than most lace up bindings (if the laces are fully un-done). The reason for this, I believe, is to allow room for the liner to go in and out and for the rider to reach the bolts on the inside. A traditional boot (as currently designed) would make it very difficult to insert a screwdriver to tighten bolts. (for those who don’t know the reason for this: the bolts are placed closer together reducing the width of the foundation of the binding, thus aiding in the flex of the board. Traditional bindings with bolts outside the binding will have a wider foundation, disrupting the flex). I believe that these bindings require more “customizing play” of the rider to get the desired fit/ support. By “customizing play” I mean that care should be given to the bend and curvature of binding pieces and lacing. To explain further what I mean by this I have made a crude picture with Microsoft Paint to illustrate this idea.
For the most superior ankle hold try these tips too. When tightening the laces on the bindings Stand up on the swim platform, don’t sit. While in a sitting position your knees will already be leaning forward, applying pressure to the tongue and laces, making it more difficult to get supreme ankle support. The most important thing to note about the laces (over the ankle) is to not pull the laces laterally for tightening… at least not until desired lace tightness is achieved. The very last/ highest lace loop has lace-locking teeth on them. Pulling laterally will lock the laces in the teeth. This is also Very important to remember when loosening the laces to exit the bindings. You will first have to pull vertically on the laces, running parallel to your leg to release them from the lace-locking teeth. Pull the lace-locking beads all the way to the end and then pull out on the tongue. If you can not pull the tongue completely out then you need to double check all the laces(don’t forget the interior one too). If done right you should be able to pull your foot out with relative ease, leaving the liner inside the boot. However if no one will be riding the board for a while, remove the liner so the binding will dry faster. Some people have trouble with inserting the liners back in. make sure all laces are completely loose. Insert your hand inside the liner, similar as you would your foot, then slip the liner in.
There is a possibility that the bindings may provide better support after heat molded, this I have not experimented with, because… it’s not my gear ;)

Upload

1. BOARD
a. DEMO MORE THAN ONE BOARD. These boards are like none other
i. Try both styles, despite your rocker preference.
ii. Try larger sizes. You may find you like a larger board than normal
iii. Don’t have a boat? Grab a board from a local shop then cruse to the nearest lake and “thumb a ride,” don’t forget to be polite and offer gas money. Trust me it works, though you might have to give it time.
b. GIVE IT TIME
i. It may take a while to get used to the board. After a set or two you may be like me and suddenly finding yourself compensating for the softer landings and getting tons more air. YES! It’s sooo FUN!!
c. SCREWS
i. Tighten the fin screws often. The flex action at the ends of the board work the fins loose with use. The binding screws however have always proved tight (or nearly all the way tight) when I checked them.

2. BINDINGS
a. ENTERING & TIGHTENING
i. Loosen all three laces all the way out so you can pull the tongues out
ii. Make sure the laces are in front of the binding before inserting your foot
iii. For better tightening STAND UP on the swim platform while tightening, don’t sit.
iv. For superior ankle hold, tighten the interior laces over the liner tight
v. Work the tongue and ankle wrap pieces during lacing for secure wrapping and hold around your foot and ankle. (see illustration)
vi. Pull the laces vertically in the direction of the length of your leg. The top lace loop has lace-locking teeth on it that will bind the lace if pulled laterally. (feel free to pull laterally when you have achieved your desired tightness.)
vii. Tightening from top to bottom at each individual lace crossing might be of consideration…
viii. Clip the lace pulls on the sides and slightly to the rear of the exterior portion of the binding. Push the lace pull clips all the way down! If they still come off while riding, try to reach down and clip them again. (The laces are long enough to get under the board and can interfere with riding a little.)
b. EXITING & LOOSENING THE BINDINGS
i. Loosen all three laces all the way out so you can pull the tongues out
ii. Remember the lace locking loop at the top of the binding! Pull vertically on the laces first to release the lace from the teeth. If you can not pull the tongues out than you need to double check the laces.
iii. Remove foot, keeping the liners in for the next riders’ convenience. If the board will not be used again for a while, remove the liners to dry properly and faster, but stow them in a safe place too.
iv. PUTTING LINERS BACK IN
1. Put you hand inside the binding insert similar as you would a foot (or invert your hand palm up), then stick the insert inside the binding. Remember to match left with left and right with right.
c. IF YOU PLAN TO PURCHASE, YOU MAY CONSIDER
i. You may considering shortening the laces
ii. You may consider modifying the laces. I’ve heard of these:
1. modify the exterior lace from two laces to one
2. remove the inner liner lace
3. remove the velcroe on the liner

}
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       07-08-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
Let's see those pictures of 12 feet of air. That is pretty impressive.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-08-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
im not sure i will get any pics that show 12 feet. the 12 foot airs were behind the slammed boat with the tower extender on my first trip. The pics will come from the second trip (i think it was a maxum boat with a tower with the rope set at 65) I should have had the family set the rope back further so i would not get so much tension. I kind of took it easy after one of the jumps threatened to tear my arms out, taking a piece of my back with them. Funny thing is... i never put forth a full 100% effort behind either boat... maybe 90% tops and only at various times that led to some pain, but awsome uncontrollable air
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       07-08-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
I think the boards look really interesting. Unfortunately the binding look terrible and they are the only game in town. The price tag seems a bit steep as well but I could probably live with that if I could use my own boots. I understand why I can't use normal boots but with only one boot in their lineup it makes it a tough sell.
Old     (forumriders)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-08-2007, 11:24 PM Reply   
i can vouch for those 12 footers, that was my slammed boat jeremy is talking about, I really like the slingshot board as well, I also think it would be perfect if they could get with CWB and get some 4 hole pattern bindings with the hinge tech
Old     (bakesonlinecom)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-09-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
There is another recent review from their Regional rider on the gear here:

http://www.wakeboardnorthwest.com/?p=203

I've ridden both boards and love them. I am sold. The boots are a bit much with all the laces but I have been discussing their 2008 product and it sounds like they are making some great changes. I also am on a large board with the Recoil 138. I also rode the 142 and normally that would be WAY too large for me (I am 145 lbs), but it felt surprisingly comfortable and controlled.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-09-2007, 2:08 PM Reply   
thanx for the vouch mike. hopefully i can get the disposable cammera pics developed within 2 days and post what i got
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-09-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
Mike- I was thinking that the CWB hinge tech bindings are probably the best bindings to convert to a sling shot binding because of how wide they open. The larger opening will make it easier to tighten an interior four hole screw design.
You got some skills with your hands, making that tower extension and winch... i bet you could modify a pair of boots. (but i am sure you would rather play with an additional pair without messing up the pair you got)
Old     (forumriders)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
Jeremy~ That is a point I didnt even consider with the CWB opening wider to access the mounting screws. So the perfect binding would be a closed toe hinge tech CWB 4 hole pattern, and of course that awesome lever that lets you switch your stance angles on the fly. we can dream huh.

I could try modifying my bindings, but have to get a board first so i can copy the pattern of the mounting holes.

I lost my phone and a transient found it, i have been chasing bums all day looking for my phone, so i lost your number, i will have a new phone by thurs so give me a ring, I think were going winching on fri.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-21-2007, 4:56 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

finally got the pics... walmart machines were having fits and i had to go back to get the cd.

while none are "12 feet" (which i was sure none would be... one looks at least 6 though) its what i got and as promisedUpload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-21-2007, 5:50 PM Reply   
12 feet? Haha, crazy friends.
Old     (blazer)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-21-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
that's what I was thinking
Old     (forumriders)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-23-2007, 3:52 PM Reply   
this is not my wake
it is a i/o