Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-30-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
My just turned three year old took her first trip on a ski skimmer on Monday. The video is not great, but I had to share my stoke. Talk about a proud father moment. Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_96EOpxVY5k

The best part is, she's asking to go every day.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-30-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
how did you get her to start? I've been working on my 3 year old and starting seems to be the issue.
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-30-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
what is a ski skimmer....never heard of it..

Congrats man, that is awesome
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-30-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
We pulled her off the beach, and told her to lean back, I gently pulled her off the beach, and then cruised at around 8.5-9 mph.

A Ski Skimmer is a platform trainer. Instead of being two skis connected together, it's a big U. Just kind of gets them used to being towed.

My slalom skiing neighbor asked her if ski was going to be a skier or a wakeboarder, and she said wakeboarder.

I am going to try and pull her again without the ballast full. She decided all of the sudden that she wanted to try, so I didn't even dump the ballast.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-30-2008, 11:42 AM Reply   
That's awesome!
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-30-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
Shawn,

I just got my 5 year old up on that ski too. It is just such an awesome feeling. I have not got much boarding in because she wants to go all the time. Sweet!!!

We really don't have beaches on our lake so my wife has to help her balance and I pull her up.

My little boy (3) tried but he does not want to stand up. So he falls over.

Anyone know when and how to switch them to a wakeboard?
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-30-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
Nice! That's definetly a proud father moment. That's what the boating lifestyle is all about. Have fun and enjoy!
Old     (coldlake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-31-2008, 7:17 AM Reply   
Good job, congrats! You got me beat, too. Our youngest was 4 when he first got on it. 2 yrs later I occasionally take him on my board with me, he stands between my legs. Should be on his own boarding next year (kids board too big now)

For those trying the Skimmer, you can also just run in shallow water with a small kid and pull em around - show them how it will feel. Exercise for you and great fun for them.

Nothing beats teaching a kid to ... board / ski / etc....
Old     (corasky123)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-31-2008, 7:58 AM Reply   
yeah congrats for sure, we got my 5 year old started the other day, but we put her on a kneeboard (yes, i have a kneeboard, please don't hate), she loved it, couldn't keep her off of it, of course, if i'm not holding on, she is on her belly the whole time, but its a start
Old     (dyer)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-31-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
That is awesome. I have twin two year olds (turned two this month). They took their first trip in the tube, but we only idled around the cover we were in. Everytime we walk by my wakeboard in the garage I ask them if they want to go wakeboarding like daddy.

That ski skimmer looks like a good start. I am going to have to check that out.