Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-12-2004, 6:26 PM Reply   
I just read the article with David Cornwall about cable riding. I skied at the old Ski Springs cable lake in Arizona many years ago in the days of the "skurfer." How do you get air on the cable? I know it has something to do with loading the line while you go around corners, but what are the steps that need to be followed to get up in the air?
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-12-2004, 6:33 PM Reply   
http://www.mikesplace99.com/tips.htm
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-12-2004, 7:15 PM Reply   
There are a couple of variations on how to launch an air trick on the cable. The cable acts like a spring so launching is somewhat like getting a big jump on a trampoline. If you go out on the cable a edge really hard you really aren't going to get the feel for the launch. So if somebody tells you to edge really hard and then let the cable pull you forward it will be difficult to figure out.

One technique is the one that the guys who throw big air use. You make a progressive edge and build up speed. When you feel like you are at about 90% edge drop hard into the last 10% and push your board straight down into the water. These two actions will draw a lot more tension on the cable and the board will be launched backwards. The rest is your typical raley.

The other technique is to make an easy cut and don't build up much speed. Build your cut up to about 50% edge and then lay into it quicky. This will get you into the air but if you crash you won't have a lot of speed and it will hurt less. You can either push the board evenly straight down into the water for a raley or you can do the following for a backroll... When you lay into the edge quickly (from 50 to 100%), edge hard away from the cable and look over your right shoulder (for goofy). The board will be launched and rotated around for the backroll. The whole roll is automatic and the only thing you need to concentrate on is holding on with both hards. The yank on the rope is much more than a backroll behind the boat.

The link to Mikes Place talks about goofy riders using the corner. Technically this isn't correct. Very few riders launch the trick using the rope as it goes around the tower when you get a hard jerk. However the closer you do the trick to the corner the tighter the cable, which helps. And it's more difficult for a regular rider to launch as closely to the corner as goofy riders do.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-12-2004, 7:32 PM Reply   
I didn't know about the article, but just read it. Thanks for the heads-up on that D-Money. That was a good interview. David is a cool guy and has worked really hard on the Cable Wakeboard Tour.

On second thought I probably shouldn't say Mike's Place article isn't "technically correct", because he probably just mean it's easier closer to the corner. The reason why I mentioned it is because I've seen so many people asking if you throw the trick when the rope jerks going around the corner. It's easy to see how reading that one would assume that's what he meant, since so many people think that to begin with.
Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-12-2004, 7:46 PM Reply   
Easy technique to learn? Getting air first day? Or is this something that takes time? Trying to decide if I should take a trip.
Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-12-2004, 8:13 PM Reply   
Is there any video of this anywhere?
Old    skippy            08-13-2004, 2:52 AM Reply   
if you want to watch a good cable DVD then try BIG TIME
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/2003/bigtime1.asp

It was filmed in Gremany and features some of the best riders about. I personally love the music.

I'd like to add to what John says "..about 90% edge drop hard into the last 10% and push your board straight down into the water" try to imagine scooping ice cream out of a tub. thats what you should do with the board (sorry 'bout the crappy analogy). Scoop the board away from you, but lon't let off that hard edge. Remember to keep your arms locked into your side (i.e the handle as close to your lead hip as possible)otherwise the motion will be jerky. Keep your weight equal over the board otherwise you'll stargaze.

I've just read the article. I'd also go as far as saying it isn't technically correct.
It quotes two things to remember
>1)Let your arms out and keep your chest up. Don’t be afraid of the height.
If you keep your arms out the cable will snatch as you go up, you wont get as much height. Try to resist the pull, you'll end up with a real floaty feel if you do this.
>2)At the highest point pull your arm in and down towards your knees while keeping your chest up this will help you to bring the board back under you.
I've never ever had to do this, on the cable you naturally come down, it's therefore one thing less to think about.
Old    socretes            08-13-2004, 5:19 AM Reply   
takes a good 2 days to learn the basics. perfecting takes weeks
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-13-2004, 6:41 AM Reply   
Here is a clip of me doing a backroll and roll to revert.

http://john.panelmagic.com/airrolls.avi

I'm using the second technique I described where you use minimal edge and little speed. I have tons of video of the cable. The really good stuff comes from the Open Men division of the Cable Wakeboard Tour. I'll have to edit some togeather and put it on the web.

D-Money, where are you thinking of going? Texas Ski Ranch is an excellent cable and good for learning the air tricks. If you come to Orlando's OWC I would be happy to give you some help.

You can be launching air tricks the first day. Landing them is another matter. I landed the backroll on the second day with no instruction or advice.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-13-2004, 10:03 AM Reply   
I went to OWC for 3 days and only saw 2 people getting air in the corners. One of them was Robin Friday who was doing nosegrabbed backrolls to revert like it was nothing and the other was this old guy with gloves doing backrolls I think. In 3 days I never saw anyone do a raley. Like most people I have seen the video of parks getting like 35 feet of air and wanted to do the same(well maybe not 35 feet!) There are so many rails, boxes and kickers that doing tricks that I can do behind my boat took a back seat to riding the rails and jumps. In any case whatever you want to learn down there just ask the operators they are super nice and more than happy to answer any questions. In 2 days I learned handlepass 3's across the picnictable box with the help of one of the operators. OWC is awesome, they will hook you up with a hotel for $45 a night (free cocktails from 5:30-7:00 everyday) shuttlebus to and from airport and to and from OWC.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-13-2004, 12:09 PM Reply   
I'm the old guy.
Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-13-2004, 4:10 PM Reply   
John thanks for the offer, I was thinking about taking a trip to the Texas Ski Ranch. I have been thinking about moving to Austin when I graduate. I hear nothing but awesome things about Austin, good night life, U of Texas right there, low cost of living, and the job market seems to be pretty good as well for my industry. And having the TSR just down the I-35, it doesn't seem like there would be anywhere else to go. I love AZ and if we had a cable park like the TSR I wouldn't even think about leaving. I've been contemplating buying a used boat with a partner but it seems like that would be expensive and a lot of up-keep when I could just move to a bad ass city like Austin and buy a membership at TSR and ride whenever I want.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-13-2004, 7:21 PM Reply   
are there any cable parks that don't go counter-clockwise? only ridden at owc once (my sole cable experience), and i found loading the line to be difficult unless i was riding switch (im a left-foot forward rider).
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-13-2004, 7:23 PM Reply   
Sorry John, I should have said older guy:-) You had great style and were super smooth on everything! I can tell you must ride there alot. I am coming down next year, I will have to introduce my self and maybe you can teach me the backroll.
Old    atom_ant            08-13-2004, 7:49 PM Reply   
John were you at owc on sunday?
If so I remember you were doing some sweet riding. I was the "new guy" working the cable.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-14-2004, 9:04 AM Reply   
Hey Austin, yes that was me. Glad to have you onboard at OWC. Keep working on that handle toss. I hope you are OK and weathered the storm last night. I'm guessing they have a mess at O'dub. Tried calling this morning but couldn't get through.

Matthew, I hope to meet you when you come down. That's OK I know I'm an old guy. I have an annual pass so I'm out there about 4 times a week.

D-Money, You won't regret moving to Austin. TSR will be so much fun that you won't want to live anywhere else.

Christopher, Only a few cable parks are left foot forward. None in the US. Apparently the only cable maker that made a CW cable went out of business. Many of the really good riders are regular and just learn switch because it's better to throw the tricks to the outside.

(Message edited by fly135 on August 14, 2004)
Old    atom_ant            08-15-2004, 2:01 PM Reply   
John, I'm gettin the hang of it. I wont be back for another week or so but I'll see you around. I haven't heard how the damage was but I'm going to call today.