Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    luv2wake            05-14-2003, 8:56 AM Reply   
Any tips on how to throw a decent raley?
Old    turtle            05-14-2003, 2:04 PM Reply   
1. Cut very hard at the wake
2. When you pop, let your arms out in front of you.
3. Look at where the rope is on the tower or pole
4. When you feel a yank, pull the handle to your waist hard and spot you landing.
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-14-2003, 4:02 PM Reply   
By far, the most important part of a raley is your cut into the wake. Go in on a very progressive edge (in other words, don't cut hard right away). Oh yes, and don't squat down much on your cut. Line tension is critical for this move. Your hardest edge should be right at the top of the wake. (NOTE: You don't necessarily need to be edging really hard. Line tension is WAY more important than a hard edge. If you do them correctly, you can actually do raleys wake to wake.) Like Turtle said, when you release from the wake your arms go out and you let the board drift behind you. You don't have to kick it back. Make sure you keep looking at the boat until it's time to spot your landing- usually when you start pulling the board back down. If you look down early, bad things can happen. Good luck!
Old    luv2wake            05-15-2003, 8:32 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try this weekend. What rope length would be best? If anybody else has tips, please jot them down.
Old    idiot            05-15-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
I think that one of the worst problems people have with raleys is that they think way to hard about the trick.... When I do a raley my mind is blank... it is the thing I think about least when wakeboarding... The trick to doing the trick is to not think about anything... not cutting hard, not how badly its gonna hurt if you fall, not timing your pulling your legs back underneath you. Just edge hard and keep tension on the line if you throw you arms out in front of you, you will have no tension in the air and you will be helpless... if you are just riding comfortably not thinking about anything with a hard clean edge into the wake your legs will automatically go out from underneath you and behind, just because of the physics the tow point of your body is way up by your head so naturally the rest will follow behind while the tow point gets pulled forward... and ass for the "pulling" back down so you dont die... dont worry about it... biology helps us out there... your back will only extend so far... and when it does it will also automatically start to push you back down to a normal riding position then all you have to worry about is getting the handle down towards your hips with you landing gear down... so it sounds like a lot... but just dont think about it! and youve landed a raley
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-15-2003, 12:57 PM Reply   
Hey Spence,
Got a video cam?
If not, you can borrow mine on saturday (we're going out Sunday). I'd love to have a tape of your efforts. Seriously though, make a video clip so you can post it. Then you can flaunt your success...or use it to request further help.

The raley is one of my goals for this summer. Doc says July 1st and my knee is good to go. Woo hoo!
Also, did you get a landlock?
Old    luv2wake            05-16-2003, 1:59 PM Reply   
Greg, Yup, we have a digi-cam. (JVC) Need to figure out how to download to computer still. I really haven't given it much effort yet. Is your daughter signed up for AP yet? EXPENSIVE!

Kirk- Thanks for the tips...keep 'em coming.
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-16-2003, 2:47 PM Reply   
Yeah, we signed up last week...but had to go with the monthly payments.

As for the Cam to computer, digital is super easy, especially if you have Windows XP. Get a (if you don't already have) a firewire card and use Moviemaker (which is built into XP). It's so easy you can pretty much figure it out without anybody to show (you or tell you) how it works.
Here is a movie I made with it. This was my 1st time using Moviemaker: 6 min 15 megs
http://thevogts.com/nationals/apjp.wmv

So, shoot your attempts for sure. If you have trouble, I can help you download (or, do it for you and give you a CD of the raw footage).
Either way, good luck this weekend.
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-20-2003, 4:24 PM Reply   
Well?????
How'd it go???
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       05-20-2003, 7:03 PM Reply   
anybody do raleys on tramps, i dont want to land on my face, because it seems like i dont have enough time to throw it and come back in.
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-20-2003, 8:47 PM Reply   
Ryan, Go here:
http://www.thevogts.com/wtf/
I put together a few raley (and raley-type) tramp video clips together.
It can be done...
Old    luv2wake            05-21-2003, 4:41 PM Reply   
Didn't go out last weekend. Daughter's softball on Sat. and too damn windy on Sun. This weekend...Definitely!!!! Rain or shine!
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       05-21-2003, 4:50 PM Reply   
Alright here's a question. I see a lot of people pop up off the wake with the board directly under them for a raley. Don't you want to go progressive and sit low on it through the wake? I tried taking mine through the wake tall and I barely have time to get the board under me and consequently have yet to ride away from one.

Any suggestions?