Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-11-2004, 9:01 PM Reply   
Anyone ever ride behind this boat? I looked at a 94' and the boat looks to be in decent shape, 480 hrs average condition overall. Their asking 18k for it. I took my boat mechanic to look at it today and he says the motor and all checks out ok but he would not pay over 13.5k at most. Opinions please and any input you may have as to the boat performance ect... As I stated in prior post, I am on a used boat budget and have a 20' lenght limit issue to get it on a private lake I use. In looking on the net most 205's were going for 12.5 k to 18k. It has a tower and comes with fat sacks. My worry is that their son may have been hard on the boat. Decisions, decissions. Help appreciated.
Old     (h2oskeefreek)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-12-2004, 4:56 AM Reply   
13.5 for a '94 205, that's a little low. If the boat is in good condition, it should bring 15K or more. offer 15 and see if they take it, worst they can say is no, best they can say is yes!
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-12-2004, 6:57 AM Reply   
You can go to Boattradder.com and look up the bluebook value of the boat you want. I bought a 1993 205 last year.I gave 14k for it, with about 500 hours. It was in great shape. I love it. I have added a tower, and am getting ready to add auto ballast.We use about 2000 pounds of ballast now. the wake is very nice, but not as good as newer boats, that are wakeboard specific. If I was going to spend the 18K, You can almost get a New Moomba outback for that. Ask to see service records. Do a compression check on the engine.I also agree with Thomas. Offer 15K
Old    tommyadrian5            04-12-2004, 7:06 AM Reply   
I got a 99 Sportstar (PS 195 OB) for $17,500 with 250 hrs with a tower and sacs. I know its not the same boat, but I think it shows that 18K for that boat (5 years older with 230 more hours) is a little high.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-12-2004, 7:55 AM Reply   
I bought my 95, 205, with 110 hours for 19k, 3.5 years ago and it was in perfect shape. My boat has run perfect from day one. I do take very care of it though. Where are you going to put the ballast if you end up getting it?
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-12-2004, 3:48 PM Reply   
Guys thanks very much for the input. He has 2 sacks w/ it now, 300fr/800back. I know the wake won't be as nice as wboard specific boats but as said we're on a used boat budget and I may be able to pik it up for 13-14k after talking to them today. The condition concerns me a little as it lacks the "I really take care and love my boat" look of TLC. Any other input on areas to look for ect.. would be appreciated from everyone.
Have there been any big maintenance concerns ect.. I should look for? THANKS
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-12-2004, 3:57 PM Reply   
Faceplanter, the saks have been on the floor infont between seate and back sak in front of the rear seat, any oter suggstions? Layout limits options doesn't it. I'm no expert as this will be our first pure ski/board boat, lookin for ideas thats why I came to this board to talk to guys who live it and don't just work in some store or answere the phone and tell people anything to get them to buy something.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-12-2004, 5:16 PM Reply   
I have the EXACT same boat with almost 1100 hours. Got a steal at 11500 last spring. The only thing I think you are overlooking is the transmission. Get your mechanic to do a compression test on that as well. It should read around 90 psi. Mine read 65 and lasted me from May until the first week in Sept last summer and it is being rebuilt as we speak. The engine should be fine even if the boat wasn't "pampered." We bought a used boat to use it, not look at it. So, if it's missing a little TLC, lowball him.

I have a fat seat and picked up 2 tube sacks and 2 full sacks this winter and have yet to use them. I think i'm going to run the fat seat in the back, the tube sack in the ski locker on the floor and a full sack on top of the ski locker in the open bow walkway. That should be about 2500 lbs. and will throw a very acceptable wake for less than 15K. I would pick it up. Worse case, the tranny is bad and write a check for $1200.

What color is it? I think I have the only purple one, but it would be kinda cool if someone else could feel my pain...
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-12-2004, 5:37 PM Reply   
I just bought a 92 MC Prostar 205 w/ 600 hours for 13k. It came with a tower, board racks, dope stereo, and a fat seat. It's a nice boat. I have yet to run it with any added weight, but it throws a decent wake as is.

SFH

(Message edited by Stanfield on April 12, 2004)
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-12-2004, 9:40 PM Reply   
Mark, THANKS for all the input. I'll mention the tranny specs to my mech. or I'll ask the dealer where it is parked to test it. I just found out the owners went ahead and bought a new Malibu 23' wakesetter so the dealer may own title now. This 205 is White/Black,. Purple huh,definetly identifiable on the lake.I was mistaken earlier,my son says it has a 1200lb. fat seat in back /300lb sak in front.
It seems that most of you guys think this is a good boat,especially for our first entry into the weighted ski/board boat arena. We have been ridin with friends some on a 2500lb weighted Malibu and it's huge. We started on my 20 f&ski w/pylon and both my sons are awesome,especially my 17yr old,thats why I'm trying to get a better boat for the sport to see if he excels and maybe we can get into some events ect..., he has won some Big Air comps in snow skiing so we're hoping he may be something special. THANKS AGAIN for all the input.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-12-2004, 9:54 PM Reply   
Yep, no prob. I have a flyhigh Stainless pylon that works fine, but I would sugest paying a grand for a monster tower. I'm in college and trying to succeed with no real job mooching off my parents and such, otherwise I would have bought a tower as well. Maybe next spring.

Be careful with the observer's seat, dont stand on the middle part of it. The vinyl will sperate where that seam is real quick. Found that one out the hard way as well.

You might want to pick up an ACME prop. 13" X 12* My hole shot is really sluggish.

With the sacs you have, buy a full size one and throw it in the bow and you should be great. And put the 300 lbs one in the ski locker. That thing is a waste and always floods. You can put skis behind the driver.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-13-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
I usually run with 350 lbs sack in the bow and one right behind the motor box with 4 to 6 people in the boat the wake is more than big enough for me and the people I board with. I use a pole right now maybe some day I'll buy a tower or wait and get a tower on my next boat. Just make sure that if you start adding sacks to it add the same amount thoughout the boat. You want the whole boat to be lower in the water not just the back.
Old    excesspaint            04-16-2004, 9:26 PM Reply   
I just stole a 1995 MC prostar 205 in January with 900 hours on it for only $10K. The boat has been great, no complaints at all. With 1000 lbs and a few friends, it throws a great wake. I have a 4 blade 13x13 OJ prop and no problems getting out of the hole at all. You can't go wrong with this boat. I shopped for 2 years and found that most 205's from 93-96 in good shape go from $15K-$18K. Good luck.
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-19-2004, 10:37 PM Reply   
My buddy has a prostar 190, which I think is a little bit smaller than your 205. We put a 600lb. fat sac on the rear seat. We have some six foot long waterbed tubes that we put along the side of the engine, they each hold 80 - 100lbs and are about 6 inches in diameter. We throw 2 4 ft. waterbed tubes up in the bow walk way. We also have lead bars (4" wide X 15" long X 1.5" deep) which each way 30lbs. We put 10-12 of these in the front storage under the seats. They are nice because they don't take up much room. We also put 4 lead bars in the back on the sides. So, I guess the total weighting that we have is 920 rear and ~ 500 front. you would be surprised at the wake this little ski boat can throw up. the lead bars are nice because they don't take up much room, and the waterbed tubes are great for side sacks because they also don't take much room and run the length of the rear area of the boat (rear seat to driver's seat).
Old     (jeremiah)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-22-2004, 11:26 AM Reply   
I just Got a 2000 prostar 205V have not put any fat sacs in yet. I wished i would have had the a compression test done but did not know until I read your Post, has anyone rode behind one
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-22-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
Jeremiah

Same as an X-star of that Generation. If it was good enough to tow the X-Games, it should be just fine. Ya, the wake is SWEET! Buy 3 full sacks a a tube sack. Put 2 full sacks in the rear lockers, the tube in the center locker in the bow and a full sack in the bow walkway
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-22-2004, 5:10 PM Reply   
An OEM type tower is available for 1992-1998 Mastercraft ProStar 205 from New Dimension Towers. It looks almost the same as the OEM tower on later model ProStars.

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/new_dimension_wakeboard_towers/new_dimension_mastercraft_wakeboard_towers

Mike