Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (tranner)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-20-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
I just bought some of Raul's speaker cans off of ebay and wonder what type of speaker cans people recommend? I'm currently looking at Polk 2 way 6.5's (model DB650) from Circuit City. Any thoughts?
Old    boardbagcom            07-20-2004, 2:03 PM Reply   
The MB Quart RCE 216 will fit in the cans perfectly, but also sound the best.

BoardBag.com
Old     (tranner)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-20-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
I called my local stereo shop and they said the RCE 216's are about $300+ .... They recommended the MB Quart DKE 116 which are about $169/pair.
Old    boardbagcom            07-20-2004, 2:47 PM Reply   
Check out this site. http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1782,http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1782. $159 that is a great prie for RCE 216

BoardBag.com
Old    oshensurfer            07-20-2004, 2:48 PM Reply   
They're made for the MB Quarts.

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=20712&highlight=diy+tower
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-21-2004, 7:40 AM Reply   
Use the MB Quarts... The DKE series use smaller grills than the RCE series. If you want them to be flush use the RCE series speaker.

Boardbag has done the research for you... $159 is an awesome price!!! (if they are in stock).

I put the RKC216 (last years version) in Rauls cans and they sound and look awesome. I did it up right, it is a lot of work but they sound great. Make sure you mount the x-over with expanding foam (on the bottom of the inside of the can) and then Dynamat and polyfill the inside of the can. You can get the speaker connectors at Radio shack which will line up perfect with the holes. after a few hours of work you will have a great sounding setup.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-21-2004, 12:08 PM Reply   
If they will fit, try some Focal 165CA speakers. They pound the hell out of the mb quart speakers you have listed. I did a side by side comparison with 5 other people for about an hour. All types of music and volumes. The Focal speakers won in every way, all 5 people agreed. Even some people that were in the store to by the MB speakers changed their minds and went with the Focal. 230 a pair.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       07-22-2004, 6:09 AM Reply   
How do you mount the RCE 216's in Raul's cans. I'm not real familiar with how different speakers work. When I looked at the RCE 216's, the tweeter was seperate from the speaker. Can you mount the tweeter in the middle of the speaker or does it have to be mounted in a seperate location. The reason I ask is because Raul's cans don't have a seperate mounting hole for just the tweeter.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       07-22-2004, 7:51 AM Reply   
Never mind. I just saw where you can mount them as a coaxial speaker instead of a seperate.
Old    oshensurfer            07-22-2004, 3:31 PM Reply   
Justin. Here's a copy of an old thread where I did so checking on diff. speaks to fit in Rauls cans.

Anyway, here's what I found last night as far as speakers going in the larger can's. Mind you, I have the polished aluminum ones and the face where the speaker attaches is un-finished so it needs to be covered. May be different on the painted ones. Anyway, I tried the following speakers.

Rockford Fosgates - 6.5's. Speaker fits, but cover leaves 1/4" annular exposure on the face.
Pioneer 6 3/4" 4 ways - Again the speaker fits but leaves about 3/16" all the way around
Pioner 6.5" 3 ways - Do not fit at all.
Kicker K65 - Fit but edge exposed
JL Audio - Fit but edge exposed.
Eclipse - Do not fit.
Alpine - Fit but 1/4" exposed.
MB Quarts RCE 216's fit perfect. You will need to buy the 2004 model as this is when they started making the RCE's convertible from the component type (tweeter separate) and the coaxial.
Bazookas- Cheapo speaker - store only carried the woofer sub not the coax's

Bottom line: if you purchase these, expect to either accept having a little un-finished exposure on the face of the large cans OR you will need to buck up and buy the MB's OR you can buy the pioneers 6.75's or the JL's or whatever and go to the local MB Quart dealer and buy the cover's off them for $15 bucks each and that will cover them up. MB Quart covers do need a little modification to take some plastic knobs off the back....no big deal with a dremel.

The smaller cans will pretty much fit any 5.25" speaker. But if you don't want mismatched speakers due to sound quality, you're stuck with the MB Quarts. Plus it'll look pretty goofy to have 2 types of covers.

Here's the link to the loooooong discussion on his cans. This is on page 3.

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=19544&postdays=0&postorder=asc&sta rt=70
Old     (tranner)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-23-2004, 7:42 AM Reply   
Just an update on the speakers I ended up choosing. I bought the MB Quart PCE 216's. My local shop didn't have the RCE 216's in stock so they gave me the PCE's at the same price of the RCE's. Will post pictures once I've started