Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-03-2003, 8:52 AM Reply   
I am wakesurfing behind a direct drive mobius with 500lbs on each side of motor box and about 350lbs in the back. My longest ride is about 1 minute, and i am working hard for that! and i am all over the platform, that is the only place that i feel like i can throw the rope. Any suggestions on weight, speed or anything??? i am riding a 03 HL Landlock. please help!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-03-2003, 9:55 AM Reply   
Move all the weight to one side and more towards the back, and make a slight turn to the side the rider is on. You have to play with it a little bit. I would start by moving all your weight to one side. What speed are you going?
Old    damnation            09-03-2003, 10:08 AM Reply   
I had a problem this weekend too. I moved the right side sack to the left and turned a left hand turn and still couldn't stay up without the rope for more than about 10-15 seconds. My boat is a Wakesetter VLX and we were running anywhere from 8.5 - 11.0. When I drop the rope the boat pulls away no matter how hard I pump. I was so close to the boat that there are marks from the front fin all over my swim platform (sometimes I could rest the front of the board on the platform and just ride behind the boat).

I'm suspecting I didn't have enough weight on one side (about 700 lbs and one skinny person). I'm riding the LF Skim Skate, which I've heard is actually easier than the Landlock.

Any suggestions? I've also heard that it makes a difference as to which direction your prop rotates, however I've seen people surfing on the left side of Wakesetters a bunch of times.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-03-2003, 10:48 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure that the left side is the side you would want to be surfing on behind your VLX. Sounds like you need a little more weight. Are you doing it with or without the wedge?
Old    damnation            09-03-2003, 11:09 AM Reply   
No wedge.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       09-03-2003, 11:25 AM Reply   
When we go wakesurfing goofy people ride on the starboard side and regular on the port. I've only been wakesurfing behind a Supra Gravity Games and my Dixie Skier (19' DD). In the Supra we empty the sac the opposite side of the rider and everybodys sits on the rider's side.

In my small direct drive I run two 350 side sacks on each side of the engine, then I have a 600 lbs sack I stack up on what ever side we're riding on. That's it and it works good. I was killing it yesterday on a Land Lock behind my boat w/only a driver and one dude sitting on the back corner.

There's no reason why you can't do it behind a VLX- your wake is a helluva lot bigger than mine. My boat is going around 9.5 to 10.5. On the Supra we put the pp at 10.7.

It's all about finding the right weight distribution on your board and the sweet spot on your wake. We just drive in a straight line. I took me about three times out until I could toss the rope and totally get it dialed in. Once you get it, it's super easy.

(Message edited by parkcityxj on September 03, 2003)
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-03-2003, 12:00 PM Reply   
On my 88 tristar I run two sacs next to the engine full and then just shift people to the side I want to ride on. That seems to work really well. Last night we tried behind a 86 2001 nautique and we couldn't get a good wake for regular footers. The drivers side was nice for the goofy ones but the other side was just mush. I think we probably needed more weight on the side of the boat. My boat we run pretty much a straight line with. On a malibu sunsetter lxi we had to almost to circles to get a good wake. It really depends on the boat. You have to try a few different configurations.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-03-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
It definitely takes a couple times out to get it right. I've seen certain boats that on some days it's good and other days it's not. In my friend's '94 ski nautique we weighted the crap out of one side, then turned away from the rider. Behind a '99 sunsetter we loaded down one side really good and made a harder turn into the rider. Behind BillJ's Tige 20v, just put about 900 lbs in the back corner and make a slight turn into the rider.

Wuttup Jay? Sounds like you got it dialed.

couple pics of me surfin' BillJ's wake

Old     (scott44)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-03-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
do not turn the boat this is a myth, more weight in either corner and go straight. Make sure you empty the off side ballast this should give you a nice wake
Old    damnation            09-03-2003, 12:41 PM Reply   
I tried going straight and turning, it really didn't seem to make a difference. I did empty the sack and hard ballast tank on the opposite side that I was riding. The only other thing I think could be a problem is that I didn't move any of the lead up front, but I doubt that is a problem. Maybe my driver is too fat? J/K.

I guess I just need to keep working to find the sweet spot.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       09-03-2003, 1:21 PM Reply   
It's all about having the right weight distribution on your board too. Too much weight on your front foot and you will end up on the platform. If you have too much weight on your back foot you'll fall behind. You kinda have to teeter-totter your weight when just learning. Eventually it'll come naturally.

Thane, why you wearing shoes? That ain't no wakeskate...J/k. I may be cruising to Temecula the second week of October to check out the scene and ride the new VLX. I'm sure we'll hook up if I come.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-03-2003, 8:01 PM Reply   
I guess I just feel more comfortable in shoes. I've done it with and without, like it better with.

Jay - sounds good man. by that time all the water around here should be pretty smooth pretty much all of the time.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-03-2003, 8:53 PM Reply   
Bills wake looks huge! Tige's throw a better surf wake than any other boat! Here's Porter and Hulings 03 22V
Porter

Huling
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-03-2003, 10:17 PM Reply   
Nah, that was when my wake was small. This is my wake when it's big (oh, and the angle makes it look even bigger than it is!).

Kele surfing
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-03-2003, 10:33 PM Reply   
It's all about having the right weight distribution on your board too. Too much weight on your front foot and you will end up on the platform. If you have too much weight on your back foot you'll fall behind. You kinda have to teeter-totter your weight when just learning. Eventually it'll come naturally.
^
^
^
^
What he(jay) said.

If you're falling out of the wave, try putting a bit more weight on the front of the board. Also, try scooting your back foot a bit forward, it doesn't take much.

B-
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-03-2003, 10:59 PM Reply   
Helps when you're sitting on the swim step!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-04-2003, 12:36 AM Reply   
But he wasn't
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-04-2003, 1:47 AM Reply   
I haven't posted this pic before, but the wake looks HUGE. This is Kevin dropping in, just after getting up (which is why the wake is so big).

Kevin surfing

and one of my favorites of Kristian - I'm not sure why he's still holding the rope since he obviously doesn't need it. I like it because he's standing there so casually, and he's surfing backside.

Kris

Barry is absolutely correct about the foot placement. Small changes make a big difference so move your feet around until you figure out what works. Also, I've found that it's important to have your toes close to the toe edge of the board since you are basically always cutting toeside (assuming that you're not surfing backside of course).
Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-04-2003, 8:57 AM Reply   
all you guys seem to be surfing on the side opposite the driver. On my boat (mobius) the wake always looks better on the drivers side. Is this common?
Also---is it easier to surf toeside to the wake? cause i am surfing backside right now. but i can surf goofy too.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-04-2003, 9:22 AM Reply   
Sid,
My boat is the same way, it's best on the drivers side. I'm only guessing, but, I think it has to do with prop rotation.
Also, what bill said about having your toes closer to the toe-side of the board(reversed if you're surfing backside).
Seriously, it takes very small changes to make it work... it's really like balancing on a razor-blade. Once you get it figured out it will come naturally.

B-
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-04-2003, 9:29 AM Reply   
Once you get it figured out you won't need to turn the boat. You should be able to drive in a straight line.

I'm having a really hard time going from the drivers side, over the top of the wave and onto the passengers side without stopping the boat...I'm trying to learn to switch from side to side.

Anyone have any advice?

B-
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-04-2003, 10:56 AM Reply   
Hey Hahn, if you are going to post a surfing pic of me, at least post one where I am actually surfing and not looking like a dork holding the rope!
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-04-2003, 12:58 PM Reply   
Are you talking to your hand in that pick? Or maybe your hand is talking to you
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-04-2003, 1:03 PM Reply   
Very funny! It actually looks like that doesn't it? My puppets name is....

Actually, I think I was just about ready to "fix" my hair for a few camera shots, but Mr. Novice Camera Guy puts the worst pic up out of the bunch instead. Bill, you need to work with young Jedi more on this stuff!
Old    mike_rennie            09-04-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
How Fast to you go to wakesurf, and how to you start off ???
Old    catta            09-04-2003, 11:13 PM Reply   
hey brent, i love that pic! looks so different from all that usual surferstuff, so much way above...
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-10-2003, 7:25 PM Reply   
OK, since my boy is pictured on this thread I have to show this pic of me on Bill's wake.
I'm concentrating really hard here, but by the end of the day I was riding fairly comfortable for some long streches:-)
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-10-2003, 7:28 PM Reply   
Hey Paula,sweet shot!! Are you riding in the Canyon contest?? Hope to see you there!!! Hugs, robyn
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-10-2003, 11:07 PM Reply   
What happened to my other post?

Strange

Well I see that the contest is not this weekend. (I thought it was this weekend)

Anyway, I hope it works out that I can go and maybe I'll see you there Robyn
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-10-2003, 11:18 PM Reply   
its still there.
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-11-2003, 9:35 AM Reply   
Woah Brent!
Looks like your puppet is sending Hahn a secret message here...take a closer look.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-11-2003, 10:06 AM Reply   
Gregg, how did you know what I was thinking??? That is amazing! Nice job...talk to the hand.
Old     (ltw235)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-11-2003, 10:15 AM Reply   
Too bad you were holding onto the rope with the other hand, dual birds would have been nice.
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-13-2003, 11:26 PM Reply   
LOL, How'd you do that??
Old    obsurfer            09-14-2003, 1:55 AM Reply   
Darn yall been surfing more than me this summer!!
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       09-14-2003, 10:34 AM Reply   
one thing that i found helps a lot is moving your feet closer the edge that is on the wave. this makes it so you dont have to lean to stay on your edge you can just stand up strait.