Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-16-2004, 7:40 AM Reply   
This has been a most frusterating and continuous problem on my 99 air nautique for about 3 years. My boat constantly drained batteries for the past 2+ years and it was getting really old, I figured that it was the alternator because the volt meter constantly charged at 16. when I took it to the dealer they said that the alternator tested fine and the voltmeter was reading high. They did not have any in stock, so they couldn't swap it out they said.

This past month I installed a new stereo that was quite demanding and in an effort to beat the battery draining problem I put in two blue top optimas and a 150 amp alternator from the battery shack. I tightened the belt like Grant and others had said to do, but it was charging at nearly 17 volts....a little worried I loosened the belt a little trying to get the voltmeter to read at a reasonable number. that ended up being too loose and it smoked the belt. I bought a new belt and put it on just like I have any other belt before and sure enought the voltmeter reads 16-17 and almost 18 when running wide open. I began to think that the dealership was right and the voltmeter was reading high....

but a week later I started getting dead batteries again...I am lost. There is nothing runnning in the boat. The ignition is off and still after sitting for three days the batteries are dead. If I put them on a trickle charger they will last for about 4 days. then I put the boat in the water and NOTHING...it tries to start but the batteries don't have enough to turn it over.

Does anyone have any ideas???