Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-21-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
I have seen this boat 2 times now towing with boards in the rack at 75-80 mph. I have seen people post pics before but seeing it in person is just unreal. Sweet boat though.
Upload
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-21-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
Air dry the boots and board quicker...I guess. I saw a boat last year and the board was almost out of the rack till he got to the ramp.

Sorry, I have no understanding why someone would want to do this.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-21-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
Took the mirror off and left the board on lol. I sometimes do it when we hit the lake right next to my house, but it is less than a mile and less than 30mph. Always afraid people are looking at me like a giant wally when I do it though.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-21-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
I tow with boards in the rack all the time but they are pretty secure in MC's clamp down racks. I dont think I would do it in the primative bungee cord set up on the pic above though.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-21-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
Billy, Those are the WORST that you could tow with! I've seen boards fly out at 30 on the water. Just a matter of time brotha.
Old    mendo247            05-21-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
When i go to the lake 5 minutes from my house ill throw the boards in the rack while sitting in the driveway loading the boat. Just one less thing to do at the lake. I usually keep it under 35 on the way to the lake.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-21-2008, 7:41 AM Reply   
not to jam you up billy. but i have some friens with the mc clamp down spinners and i always take a board out of the rack without popping the clamps because i forget, primative bu owner i guess, but the worst racks i have ever seen or the flight clips on my friends 04 sante.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-21-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
If you have a nice rack it's no problem. I do it because I have friends that would rather ride in my truck than in the boat and I just don't have room for 4 boards and 4 people. It doesn't work with a wakesurfer though- too damn bigg. I will keep it under 70 if I've got boards on there.

By the way that picture is on an open access road, so if he's doing 80 I give him much respect.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-21-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
He has the bimini up to by the by.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-21-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
I just think if were of those were to fly out and hit someone. In todays society everyone is looking to sue. So take the whole 45 seconds it takes to remove them for just the piece of mind.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       05-21-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
people quiet please.. let these people tow with boards in there racks. I have two wake surfers that I grabed out of the middle of the road from people like this.. I post notes on the message board at the launch and either people are to embaresed to call or some how dont notice. All I can say is keep it up need new boards..
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-21-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
I always have my boards in the rack. Been doing it for 8 years and never had a problem. I never strap them down while we are on the water.

That being said, I went out in a different boat earlier this year and a board fall of at the lake.

I understand why some people would never pull their boats with the boards in the rack.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-21-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
I do, but my lake is only 2 miles away, and I never get over 40 mph. I would not do it any faster. As a motorcycle rider also, it makes me really nervous that some people are that confident of their racks that they will do 70-plus. I have no problem putting the boards in the truck, or in the back of the boat held down so they don't blow out.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-21-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
hmmmm. I always keep my boards on the rack and the rope coiled up neatly on the sundeck and the vest laid out on the seats to dry whilst goin' 70-80mph. Maybe, just maybe, they're not all gettin ripped off while in transit like I thought. hmmmm

Seriously, I did have buddy lose my wake surf board. He said it flew out of the boat, pinballed off of like 10 cars and then slid to the side of the road, in almost but not quite useable condition. He still owes me a new board too.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-21-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
That all being said...this guy pulls his trailer at 75-80mph???...he is obviously not too bright to begin with.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-21-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
I tow with them up but like others here I'm literally a few minutes from the lake and never get above 30-35 tops. When I go on longer trips they stay in the boat with the cover on. Just trying to open another can of worms.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-21-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
Two years ago I saw a board fly off a board rack on the freeway, just missed a car and it landed in the ditch, they guy never knew it and kept on going, think he was going around 65 mph. I think it’s crazy that people drive around with them on the racks.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-21-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
clarification:
I meant to say "towed" as in past tense, sorry. I was talking about the old MC clamp down that kinda clamped around the outside edge of the board probably 01 or 02. The new racks hold them pretty good but I never have towed with them. My boat is on a lift at the house now.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-21-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
I also tow with them up and on normal surface streets. We are 15 minutes away from the lake and the speed limit is 40 mph. I have yet to have a problem with them flying off. If on the highway, they are put into the boat.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
It's because that guy is an idiot. He's probably as stupid and careless on the lake to.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-21-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
just goes to show that maybe some of these dealers need to spend more time educating their new customers on the do's and dont's of boat ownership... assuming he bought retail?
Old     (tl7)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-21-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
That pic is from good ole West Columbia. I've seen this boat a few times when I fill up at Buc-E's. Had the boards in the rack, but I assumed he had just put them there, even though it's still a good 5 miles or so to the ramp. I guess he's not too concerned with having to replace a board or two.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-21-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
As far as Malibus bimini and towing withit, the thing is ROCK SOLID and I would feel confident going 100 mph and it wouldnt move.

As far the boards in the racks, we dont do it but alot of people put them in the boat flat instead of on edge. Putting them flat in the boat I think would increase the chances of one flying out at driving speeds.
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-21-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
IMO, I don't know why someone would want to risk having one fly out for multiple reasons.

BUT as far as I know and have been told the probelm is with the boards in the racks it makes it so you exceed the legal width of a vehicle. I have a friend that was pulled over and given the lecture about this as well as the "what if" lecture from mr. police man.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-21-2008, 1:55 PM Reply   
I used to repair wakeboards when I worked at a pro shop. Most of the ones brought in had fallen out of racks when going down the freeway. People would always pull into the shop on Sundays right off the water with boards in the rack. I could NEVER convince them it was a good idea until they were bringing me a board for repair.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-21-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
we've done it...but the boat launch if about .2 miles from the house...and it happens twice a year, once in, once out....
really fast could get scary though
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-21-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
i saw a guy with a brand new rz2 loaded with boards in the racks and bimini up. he was trailering at about 80mph, passed me an i was in my 350z. wh carsds about the boards being damaged, if one board was to fly out it could cause an accident possibly killing someone. the racks are not designed for that. not smart at all.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-21-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
A wise man one said that a board in the hand is worth two in the bush...
Old     (mattjj23)      Join Date: May 2008       05-21-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
If im towing a short distance, less than 20 miles, I always tow with my boards up. It is 1 less step to worry about when you get to the lake and it keeps them out of the way. I have never had any problem with them blowing out or even shifting and I drive 55. The bugs on the otherhand is another story.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-21-2008, 9:44 PM Reply   
I have seen guys that tow down the freeway with boards on the racks. Last time it was a Centurion Avalanche behind a Chevy Avalanche down 580 near 680. The bindings were so goofed up I doubt the boards ever saw the water, no way you could ride with them the way they were positioned.

When I see somebody towing down the freeway I think one thing POSER!

There is plenty of room in a boat for your boards. Leave them in their cases and bungee them down and you will have less issues than when they are in the racks.

Oh, one more thing... Towing with boards is illegal, it makes your boat too wide to be on the road without "Wide Load" signs and a pace vehicle.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-21-2008, 9:58 PM Reply   
towing with the boards in the racks if your on the free way screams only one thing. hey look at me i wakeboard. like your boat doesnt already say that
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-21-2008, 10:42 PM Reply   
I see buses that pass me every 15 min. that have been wrapped and have this ambulance chaser grinnin, gettin the attention of some gold digger.

http://www.keithbartonlaw.com/

Put your board in the boat, truck, car, or trunk
"its that easy". I sure wouldnt want to be responsible for something bad that happened due to lack of common sense.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-21-2008, 11:16 PM Reply   
so i just read someone doesnt even strap their boards down while riding?? have you ever whitnessed people get hit in the face by the boards falling out?? i have a couple of times.
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-22-2008, 6:48 AM Reply   
I have seen boards fly off the racks twice when the last rider was too lazy to strap his board down. Once it hit my girlfriend in the head and the other put a nice 1.5" cut in my seat. I wouldn't care how "quality" the racks are, if you are in any kind of crosswind or cross a wake with boards not strapped in there is a chance they will fly off and hurt someone. I always double-check before starting the next rider - stitches on a girls face are not attractive.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-22-2008, 6:53 AM Reply   
billy,
you're right those MC racks were probably okay to pull, they actually clamped the WHOLE board down, giving it no room to move at all.

Not to be a complete smarta$$ but, for the MC swivvle racks, if you 180 the racks to the inside of the boat and store the boards that way, you're still "street legal" w/ no wide load.. the only time we've ever kept the boards on the rack are while riding, and if we're just pulling the boat out of the water..

the guys that keep the bimini/boards up while driving should know that it just a safer route to haul them in the boat/trunk/truck bed ect..yea it saves you 5 minutes at the launch, but if your board flies off your rack while you're going 80mph on the freeway and slams into someones windshield forcing them to get into a car accident with injuries or possible death? if your conscious can live with that, more power to ya.}