Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ericlassiter)      Join Date: May 2007       06-29-2009, 7:39 AM Reply   
i was messing around and let the board ride over the rope and when i fell the rope and handle wrapped around the board and ripped it open pretty good.

can you guys give me some advice on how to fix this? thanks!!

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       06-29-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
i got a blue lake that had a crushed section all the way across the nose. I cut out all of the loose material and then filled with west system brand microlite epoxy filler. Sanded the section smooth and then put a new piece of fiberglass with 1/2" of overlap on. Sanded and feathered the patched area smooth.

Surfdad will be able to tell you what epoxy's will work with that foam. I would just want to make sure that the patch is watertight.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       06-29-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
you could use a marine grade type filler like marine tex and skip the glass step but its way more dense then a microlight filler and doesn't sand as nice.
Old    surfdad            06-30-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
I get confused with the naming convention used by the Shred Stixx folks. The beaded foam in that gaping wound :-) is EPS which is NOT Styrofoam. Styrofoam is actually XPS which has huge adhesion issues. Even the current year Shred Stixx claim to be Styrofoam.

Anyway, the way to repair it is pretty much as WAlove described it. I wouldn't buy microballons, clear epoxy and fiberglass all separately, but instead get an epoxy surfboard repair kit.

Foamez carries a good one, with the epoxy, stir stirs, filler, mixing cups, sandpaper and fiberglass. I just went to their site here it looks like it lists for about $26.

The kit comes with instructions, but principally you'll mix the filler, in this case Q-cell, in with the epoxy to fill that void. Next you'll sand the filled void smooth and finally laminate a few layers of fiberglass over the patch.

I've seen the instructions in that kit and it's really well done. You may be able to find it cheaper on the net, as Foamez does tend to be pricey, although I didn't think the $26 was too bad considering all that is included.

Hope that helps!
Old     (ericlassiter)      Join Date: May 2007       07-01-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
Okay,

Yesterday I ordered that patch kit you recommended. When I got home, I took my Dremel and a cutting bit and cut the cracked fiberglass, epoxy and foam that was breaking/crumbling away from the crack. I then took a sanding drum bit and sanded the entire edge of the void putting a slight angle on the edge. Finally I hand sanded approximately 1/2" around the void to rough up the surface and prepare it for the adhesive and patch. This sound like good prep?

I painted up a picture to show you what the repair looks like now. Don't laugh at my paint skills.Upload
Old    surfdad            07-01-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
I'll bet you were a terror in kindergarten art! :-)

It's a little tough for me to tell, but there seems to be a section of the foam in the front that that is "kinda" on it's own. EPS crushes pretty easy and I would be suspect of the integrity of any foam that has pieces around it crushed. Personally, I'd scoop out everything inside the pink line so that it's uniform. Also, you won't have any issues with trapped air pockets in strange offcuts.
Old     (ericlassiter)      Join Date: May 2007       07-01-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
i'll take pics tonight of the actual repair. there are no "dangling chads" of foam. its all hollowed out and smooth.
Old     (ericlassiter)      Join Date: May 2007       07-02-2009, 8:43 AM Reply   
here is what i did using my Dremel
it looks pretty good to me.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload