Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (jayme)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-29-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
Anybody who's ridden behind an Epic - how's the wake compare to a Malibu
Old     (cwaker4)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-29-2008, 8:59 PM Reply   
The Epic wake is steep, really steep with and insane vertical kick. Not to mention its absolutely huge, so much so that i was hesitant to hit it. its also narrower than a malibu wake so optimum riding for experienced riders is long and fast, probably 80-85 feet.the transistions arent as long as a bu's so on less than solid landings the wake isnt very forgving. overall a great wake.
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-29-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
The epic wake is not reccomended for people like myself that prefer to be landing way out in the flats though.

Overall the Bu wake is better since it's more versitile since any rider will be happy behind one, unlike the Epic's
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-29-2008, 10:32 PM Reply   
the epic wake is AMAZING... Its like hitting a ramp made of wood...super firm and amazing...

If I had the $ i would take an epic over a malibu anyday
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-29-2008, 10:39 PM Reply   
Which one produces a better wake per gallon of gas?

Get used to that question.
Old    d_fresh            04-30-2008, 1:52 AM Reply   
Nick, its like hitting a wall made out of concrete.

Which boat has better resale in the future?
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-30-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
I'd probably have to say the Bu would have better resale as they're very reliable boats and you can look at old bu prices as an estimate. Epics however might not since they're a newer company.

On the question of wake per gallon of gas you can probably find that out on either alliance wake wakeboardmagazines (can't remember which one) website as they have very in-depth reviews of these two boats and they probably answer that
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-30-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
i donno about resale... bu's are a dime a dozen in the used market...look at the classifieds, hardly any Epics... true not a lot of people own them, but in a few years I would bet you would come out okay
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
Not that I have riden on either boat, but like Nick said bu's are all over. And just from videos and pictures I think I'd go with the Epic wake....may feel different after riding them tho.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-30-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
^^^^great comment. "I'd go with the epic based on video and pictures." Are you serious? I find it hard to believe that you would offer your opinion on something like that without actually trying it out. Oh wait, this is a message board. Nevermind.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-30-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
come on Ryan, he clarified "just from the pics and videos" because he (like 99.9% of us) have not had a chance to get behind the epic. If we only posted about epic on personal experience we would never have all these killer Epic thread on WW.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
Dont find it hard hard to believe Ryan I'll give my opinion on anything and won't care what people think of it... If someone were to say to me you can have a brand new Epic or Bu with out a test drive/ride I'd go Epic partially cause of the wake its "supposed" to have.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-30-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
Having been on both wakes, there is a huge difference.

The malibu wake is a smoother, easier pop, but still pretty big, whereas the epic is basically a sante wake on steroids, pretty much all vertical pop.

Both are great wakes. If I could have one though, I would probably ride the epic...
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-30-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
The thing about 4000# ballast in a 3200# boat is that you can make the wake shape how you want it. Full ballast and some people in the back - yep the Epic is super steep, like hitting a brick wall (great vertical pop). Mellow it out by only filling the rear 1/2 - 3/4 full and maybe even putting a 600# sack up front - now you have a much mellower transition, but still that beefy, hard ramp we all love to boot off of. Drain more of the ballast for a softer wake yet - unballasted, the wake is very managable even for a beginner. Then remember the trim tab - a great tool for tweaking the wake on any boat, and for getting out of the hole quicker - 6 seconds to 24 mph fully ballasted.
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-30-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
What up Garret
Old    wakejjboard12            04-30-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
agree with matt
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-30-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
I stand behind my comment as you are yours. I just like it when people offer insight based on their experience... not by hearsay or pictures, etc.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
Fair enough Ryan, then no more commenting on WW when someone has a picture posted of there wake...no saying nice wake or thats huge or thats pretty small I'd add more weight. Besides its just a picture and who ever is commenting has never actually seen the wake. Way to make a big deal out of nothing! Done
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-30-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
^^^I don't even get what you are talking about. Are you confusing me with someone else? Are you saying I commented about someones wake? I don't recall doing so.
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-30-2008, 11:40 AM Reply   
hey ryan, a picture is worth athousand words! and dennis only said like 30, so his opinion is pretty valid

wait, holy ****, how many words are there when you actually hit the wake??
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
No I'm not saying that you commented on a wake...I'm just saying in general no one should comment about wake pics(by your logic). And if someone does you should call them out. Just don't worry about it man, I'm done with this thread.....but I'd still go with Epic.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-30-2008, 12:27 PM Reply   
stop crying you two.

Epic is a "WAKE" boat...plain and simple, it is made to wakeboard and it does a great job... add a little bow weight/less rear weight you'll get a transition out of it... Our 210 with 50/50 rear to bow weight has just as much transition as any MC/BU...

bottom line is Epic does one thing and they do it well.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-30-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-30-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
who's crying? The guy asked for input from someone who has ridden behind it. Thats my point.

"Anybody who's ridden behind an Epic - how's the wake compare to a Malibu."
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-30-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
I'm crying cuz I'm at work and I wanna be on twin sloughs right now instead.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-30-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
OSTMEYER! What up buddy!? Long time no see! Didn't realize you moved out to Cali. Shoot it seems like forever ago we were freezing our a$$es off out at Hillsdale early season! I moved down to Springfield for work about 3 years ago. TRL is my home lake now! Hope all is well!
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-30-2008, 3:17 PM Reply   
Yo matt,

just sitting in my italy-predaparture course right now, wasting time...

I need to come out to cali and ride w/you guys again! I'm hoping to get out there sometime in july...but we'll see
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-30-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
Hey Brad - I remember when you moved to TRL - I was jealous! Hillsdale has been a while! Surfing, warm weather and no bugs is awesome out here, but for riding I'd take any of the ozark mountain lakes any day over the insanely-overly-regulated puddles they have out here.

Garret I just visited your brother at his company and he's wasting time too...

GO EPIC GO!!!
Old     (slowake)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-30-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
I have ridden behind both boats, many malibus, VLX and LSV's. The Malibu is very good as people say and gets bigger with the more weight you put in it. The wedge definitely makes the BU steeper but a lot of the guys prefer just weight w/ out the wedge. As for the Epic I have only taken one set behind it and it was my first run of the season. I filled the ballast about 2/3 to 3/4 full and two people in the boat. Just as big as any fully weighted Malibu and more kick. You are not going to cut through an Epic wake and not know it is there. It was very firm. I was also talking to a pro rider out here in CA and he was telling me the Epic is his favorite wake he has ever ridden. In his words "It is like taking a malibu wake and stacking a nautique wake on top of it" Pretty much sums it up if you ask me.
Old     (shawna_h)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-30-2008, 6:14 PM Reply   
I've ridden behind many malibus, which have a smooth big wake with a comfortable pop. The wake is wider. Epic wake isn't as wide as the malibu and has a steep, huge wake that gives you an extreme straight up pop. I love the amount of hang time that I get from this wake! If you like nautiques, you'll like the Epic. Both of my parents rhode the Epic last weekend. Its controllable with the trim and compensating weight. Without it being totally loaded, even my parents got to feel the "Epic pop". When you get the chance to ride this boat, you'll be happy with the wake and how fast it takes to get on plane! The fact that there is already so much stock weight in the boat is really nice because other boats would have to put tons of fat sacks and lead to make the wake big. With an Epic, it's already huge.