Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-30-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
Ok, so my lake FINALLY got some rain and is at its normal level. As such, the lift on our dock is above water once again, and it's time to buy a boat. I'm pretty much dead set on a 205V, but, because of price restraints, it will likely be a 2000 model w/o ballast.

I was wondering what custom weight configurations other 205V owners installed? I did a search on custom ballast for the 205V/X-star/X2/X1, but the ones I found were for ridiculous amounts of weight, and my needs and skill level don't require much. I'm looking to plumb in about 1200-1500 lbs. or so total. So like a 400 on each side of the engine and a 600 in the ski locker?

Also, I have very little experience with installing automatic, push button ballast, so is there a website that would give step by step instructions for this hull?

(Message edited by jcv on March 30, 2007)
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-30-2007, 9:54 AM Reply   
I think this should answer your question.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17225
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-30-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
Yea, Paul has a beautiful 205V. He does really nice work. YOu should be able to get a lot of your info from his stuff. He also posts a lot on here.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-30-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
There's a few people out there, including myself, working on ballast systems for a 205V. A lot of people believe you have to get some weight in the bow with this hull, so you might want to consider that. The link above is an awesome resource for simer pumps, then a couple of us are using aerator style systems, including myself.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-30-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
evil, good find, thanks. I'm hoping there are more simple, basic installations though. I know I'd screw it up if I tried his way. I do like the miniature sacs under the bow cushions though.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       03-30-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
Jeff, I am installing my custom ballast system in my 205V this weekend, and I live about 30 minutes east of CCL. You can come check it out in person sometime. Here is an intro to what I'm doing, but I will post more pics later:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/426268.html?1175265025

I've done a ton of research and will be able to share a full parts list. Acquiring all the parts is the biggest hassle factor IMO.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-30-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
Jeff, don't sell yourself short buddy. Do a lot of research, ask a bunch of Q's and try some different ideas until you get what you want. Its not that hard at all. Launching your boat and flipping a switch is awesome. good luck with it guys.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-30-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
What about placement for an intermediate amount of weight?

Would two 400's in the back, a 600 in the ski locker, and maybe some lead in the bow be a good distribution?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-30-2007, 1:38 PM Reply   
Jeff, That would be a good amount of weight, to start off with... JK, that should do fine, but I would put at least 200 lbs of lead in the bow.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-30-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
Byrd, most of the ones I'm looking at have the 310 TBI engine, so I'm a little worried about giving her a little too fat of an ass. I guess there's always re-propping.
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-30-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
400's in the back, standard sack in the belly, integrated bow sack PLUS lead in the bow to offset the rear bags. Re-prop to an acme 1235. I have the 310 and with that prop it pulls like the 8.1.

If you want to really get crazy go with the 750's in the rear. You'll want to re-enforce your plastic divider walls either way to keep them from bowing in.

Go with a through hull and scoop so you can fill on the fly, reversible pumps will be less work in the long run, Jabsco will let you mount in the engine compartment bilge area (explosion proof) simer (cheaper) up out of the bilge area.

Paul's write up is excellent and there are others currently doing this work you can bounce ideas off of (Rich G). I'd recommend you do the work because at the end of the project you'll be very familiar with your boat and be able to quickly identify and fix any potential issues.

Good luck, it's a great hull and world class wake. And remember, it gets easier after you drill that first hole. Just measure twice before doing so.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       03-30-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
I am not aware of a 600 that will fit in the ski locker. I'm thinking 400+ is the most you can fit in there. I will be adding lead weights under the bow seats to get the locker sac plus weights to around 600.

I am using Pro X series V-drive sacs on each side of the engine. The box they came in list them at 440, which is different than the specs on the website. With expansion, they may get to around 440 each.

I have the 310 TBI with the factory 4-blade.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-30-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
No problem Jeff, when I stumbled upon it I bookmarked it for myself when I finally decide to add ballast to my boat. Much props to Paul for the writeup.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       03-30-2007, 6:34 PM Reply   
Let me know if I can help.

The scariest part of anything is the first hole you drill in your boat. After that it gets easier. Plan, check, plan, check, plan, check...then cut.

310 is no problem for me. I just re-propped and its fine.

Glad I could help some of you. By all means, improve on the design. I'll be modifying it sometime this season or after.