Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-20-2011, 8:03 PM Reply   
I'm fixing to replace my bunks and re-carpet them and looking for a little advice. I'm planning on using stainless steel staples. What size (length) do I need to use? Also, should I use glue on the top of the bunk to prevent any carpet slippage in the future? If so, what kind of glue. Any other advice?
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-21-2011, 3:45 AM Reply   
I just did this to mine. You need to take a look at the box of staples. The stainless staples I found said right on them NOT for marine use. So I researched a littlefurther and found the best staple to use is a Monel. http://www.bing.com/shopping/arrow-t...es&FORM=HURE.I used the 3/8. Worked out great. A electric staple gun will really help. I used close to a 1000 staples for 6 boards total of 34ft of board. I put the staples close and heavy on the ends to match how they did it when the trailer was made. I could never imagine doingitwith a manual staple gun.

Last edited by kko13; 05-21-2011 at 3:48 AM.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-21-2011, 9:17 AM Reply   
Kevin, I noticed the same thing on the box of ss staples at Lowes. I went ahead and scooped up a box of 1.000 3/8" ss hoping that they were referring more to salt water use. Anyone have experience with the ss staples in fresh water over time?
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-22-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
I have done mine - get some good adhesive too- use treated wood and stainless staples- this is not a hard project. SS in fresh water holds up very well. I got 3m spray-on adhesive, coated the carpet and board then stapled the back-sides. Have fun.
Old     (rdiestler)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-22-2011, 8:42 PM Reply   
Did you apply any sort of sealant to the wood before attaching the bunk carpet? oh, and out of curiosity, what type of wood did you use?
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       05-26-2011, 7:07 PM Reply   
I replaced my bunks last spring in preparing to sell my boat. I used treated wood and SS 3/8 Staples. The largest change I made was not to use wood screws to hold the bunks in place. Seems stupid to me really. I used thicker bolts with a larger washer and counter sunk them.

I checked the bunks at the end of the season and all the bunks were still very solid.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-27-2011, 10:39 AM Reply   
One tip would be to not put the carpet all the way around the bunk. In fact, if you are able leave the low edge open so water can run out under the carpet. treated wood is good. Ive seen bunk rot from carpet stapled all the way around.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       05-27-2011, 11:52 AM Reply   
I need to replace my bunks as well, and have been lurking for information.

My problem is that I don't have a place where I can leave my boat in the water. At the risk of sounding stupid, is there a way to replace them with the boat still on the trailer? I was thinking of possibly jacking up one side of the boat at a time with a floor jack....using proper protection to keep from damaging the gel coat of course. That way I can replace one side at a time.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-27-2011, 12:09 PM Reply   
I just used a roofing type nail with a large head on it and about 1" long. Figured it would hold the carpet a lot better then a staple. Replaced the carpet on the bunks a few years ago now and haven't had an issue.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-27-2011, 12:14 PM Reply   
Seth, this can be done.... They do it at the boat show's all the time to remove the trailer out from under the boat. It's a bit of a process to do that, but should be easy to do just the bunks. Use a 2X4 on top of the jack to support the boat. I would probably use a couple bottle jacks to pick it up or multiple floor jacks if you've got them. I suppose you could use 1 floor jack and some jack stands. Be careful and take your time and you should be fine. You may want to ask some questions at your local dealer. Any dealer that does boat shows will be totally used to this kind of thing.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-01-2011, 9:45 AM Reply   
do you guys use the old wood already on the trailer or buy new treated wood?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-01-2011, 9:57 AM Reply   
I just reused the wood that was on there as mine was still in decent shape.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-01-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
Just re-did the "bunks" on our boat hoist -- not the ones that actually hold the boat - but the ones that run parallel with the boat to walk on (but boat does come in contact with them now and then....

Old wood/carpet was starting to sag and when you walked on it, it felt like you may just break through at any moment --

Replaced with treated wood - used exact same size/dimensions as before (two piece of wood to form a " 7 " shape -- then used outdoor carpet from home depot - used some spray adhesive and staples to attach - has only been about 2 months but is holding up just fine