Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (venom93corba)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-15-2009, 11:24 AM Reply   
Finaaly last night after about 8 or so attempts I was able to go wake to wake. On all 8 attempts I was landing on top of the wake and i was wiping out. But on the last attempt I landed past the wake and was surprised on how soft the landing was. It caught me by surprise and I let the rope slip through my hands. Oh well. Now I can't wait to do it again. To bad the end of the season is weeks away. New goal = toeside w2w.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-15-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
congrats chad that is always the first big milestone. But dont be in a rush.....sounds like you still need to get the fundamentals down (that way you have a better chance of avoiding injuries).
Because your crashing on casing the wake it shows how green you still are with your balance and impact absorption. Keep jumping but now work on getting better and technique. Make sure you can do all the little stuff too. slides 180'S , ollies etc...riding switch. By all means jump toeside.....but like I said work on becoming a better rider in board control first.

Welcome to the addiction!!!
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-15-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
Congrats... another prob that I see people do is not edge OUT far enough and then when they transfer to the opposite edge it takes forever and therefore they dont have time to build a prgressive edge since the wake is right there.. edge out easy to where the boat wants to pull you in and then switch edges .. should have no problem clearing the wake.
Old     (venom93corba)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-15-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
Mike, I know im in a hurry cause I just got the new boat and there is only a few weeks left of ride time, ha ha. Your right on the green im just anxious. Ive watched "The Book" dvd a dozen or so times, its just when im on the water i'd rather be trying to clear the wake. I know I know wrong attitude. My wife and I should go out by ourselves so im not tempted.

Jonny yeah I can tell Im not going out far enough. When I watch the other guys that I ride with I noticed they go out further then I do.

The good thing about the guys I ride with is that were all pretty much at the same skill level, except there constantly clearing w2w. Im not that far behind.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-15-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
...I know you need to keep up!

next time go way out and wait for the boat to pull you in then slowly start leaning (its very little) then as you approach the last 10 feet lean back more. ....and stand tall at the wake ....bam all your friends will be impressed. If you feel like your coming in to fast at any time your edging hard to soon. While everyone has heard of the progressive edge...its amazing how people cant do it. We go mostly wake to wake but high. It looks like we are coasting into the wake.....not going 100mph....its that final acceleration that gives the height.

.....anyways have fun!
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-15-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
...oh and sweet boat...you'll be very happy with your choice. If you havent read the 2k9 supra thread on boats and acc. its about weighting your boat for down the road.
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-15-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
"next time go way out and wait for the boat to pull you" - he is correct about waiting for the boat to pull you but the rest should be better technique. actually, if you are loading the line correctly you should not have to go way out. I would argue that this builds a bad habit of not edging hard enough. You can actually clear the wake if you do go way out and build a ton of speed and release your edge at the wake....bad habit. Work on having the most speed at the wake and holding that edge.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-15-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
I just use the way out because it gives me plenty of time to slowly sink the edge....we ride at 65' so you still are in fairly soon. Its a very slow and relaxed way of coming in........and yes most people wont have the patience to cut slowly from there and would come in to fast. Its all out there and you have to find your own comfort zone in the end. The most important is the progressive edge and when you get it it wont matter weather far out or close. But there is also a low tension type of jump called an ollie jump...but thats for another day.
check out learnwake.com it has some excellent videos on jumping and the variations.
Old     (venom93corba)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-15-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
When I come in I have a tendancy to get in the seated position just before the wake and I get higher than the others but struggle to clear the wake. Also looking at the photos im standing up more in the air unlike to other guys (crouched postion)

Upload
Upload
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-15-2009, 5:20 PM Reply   
Definitely letting off your edge and absorbing the wake.. come in with a more progressive edge and stand tall at the wake.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-15-2009, 5:44 PM Reply   
Get video of yourself riding if you can. You can watch all the instructionals you want to, you can have people tell you what you're doing wrong, but when you watch yourself ride, you'll see where you need to improve. Learned that from my skydiving days. Belly flyers used to laugh at us freeflyers because we all had video mounted to our helmets. That's how we progressed.
Old     (jayroe65)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-15-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
Good job dude