Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old    jake_mi            01-20-2005, 9:59 AM Reply   
i am considering these two boards. i am looking for a forgiving board with good pop that i can continue to learn on. i cant demo in my area so i need some opinions. thank you
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-20-2005, 10:02 AM Reply   
What area are you in?
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-20-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
absolute
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-20-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
Not so sure about the new absolute. I think I'd go '04 if you get a chance. The new one reminds me too much of the Premier. Lots of good aspects, but really slow and heavy. They added a ton of thickness and more rocker this year. I wonder if they were having problems with the thinner boards breaking?
Old     (petertjr)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-20-2005, 11:10 AM Reply   
Absolute!
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       01-20-2005, 11:21 AM Reply   
You can not go wrong with an absolute. All around a great board, and you never hear to many complaints. I just bought the 05 absolute Plat and I can't wait to get on the water and try it out.
Old     (shaggy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       01-20-2005, 11:24 AM Reply   
The new Absolute actually weighs less than than the 04'. I think with the thickness you get more strength and it fits the shape of the bidnings better or something like that. All I know is I love my new Absolute and I don't think it rides like my old premier. Also isn't the Ricky G board just the old Premier shape?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-20-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
The Absolute is a great board, it has a lot of rocker but they blended it well & there isn't a huge flat spot so it has a very smooth pop for a 3-stage board. It also is the smoothest landing board except perhaps the Transcend. When I recommend boards to people looking to progress I always push for boards with molded fins, I feel the outer tracking is a very big help. Having met Ricky & Zane, I can say that they are both really good people, I just wish Gator was a little more "grounded". Good luck, have fun & let us know where you are, perhaps we can get you a board to demo.

Oh yeah, no they weren't having trouble with boards breaking, they just reduced the CAPT feature to make them a little more durable for sliding & have a better flex pattern.

(Message edited by stephan on January 20, 2005)
Old    dukeboy            01-20-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
I ride the Ricky G. 138...this board is user-friendly, great pop, smooth on landings and nice light swing weight.

Stephan-I'm with you on the "grounded" comment on Gator. I guess that's another thread though...
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-20-2005, 1:43 PM Reply   
both are good boards. the absolute is a little faster but also a little looser.

get whatever is cheaper. like someone else said, if you get an absolute, get and 04 or 03.

Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-20-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
I disagree, the new 05 absolute is sick!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-20-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
I too like the last year's Absolute better. Not saying the 05 isn't sick. I just like the 04/03 better.
Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-20-2005, 2:03 PM Reply   
I ride the 04 gonzalez 138.....very satisfied!!
Old    slidervinny            01-20-2005, 3:15 PM Reply   
gonz all the way.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-21-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
though i've never ridden the gonzales, i've heard some mixed reviews. some have said that it's awesome, others can't stand it. last i heard, the gonzales is almost the same exact design as the old premier/era. any truth to this?

i've ridden the absolute. sick ass board! the only thing i didn't like was that it was too grippy. i think cwb fixed that by making a smaller center fin available for the absolute. i'd like to ride it w/ the smaller fins.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-21-2005, 10:41 AM Reply   
I believe GB added an extra channel in the mold and changed the tip and tail shape for 05, but fundamentally, it's still looks like the same old Premier board to me. I found it interesting that as soon as it became the "Ricky G Board," suddenly it was the hot new board to have. You could probably take any old mold, call it the new Randy Harris board, and I bet you could sell the shizzle out of it. Image does sell.

Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-21-2005, 10:42 AM Reply   
Joe ~ you should try the 05 fin less. I think you would like that set up. I might get the smaller fins and if so you are more than welcome to try it.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-21-2005, 10:49 AM Reply   
jrod, i couldn't agree with you more! excellent post!

bug, go to a shop. buy smaller fins. bring it along w/ the 'lute tomorrow. lemme ride it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-21-2005, 11:15 AM Reply   
Thanks Joe. I'm still expecting some back-lash for that one though.

Whutup Ant!? I'm still waiting for the performance report on the NVS speakers.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-21-2005, 11:21 AM Reply   

quote:

I'm still expecting some back-lash for that one though.

that's expected, especially about the toy that their hard-earned money was spent on.

it's like if i were to say "i didn't like brand x wake," brand x owners would rip on me. right?
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-21-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
I personally like the Gator Gonzales because it is a very easy board to ride.

it has good pop without being too hard to dail in, its not too fast and not too slow, without the center fin, it releases from the wake really well without loosing too much grip, lands relatively soft and its got a cool graphic.

I think is the perfect "middle of the road" board that you cant outgrow.

not to mention, if you have any problems with it, all you have to do is post it here and Vinny will hook you up.
Most people dont know exactly how accessible Gator is. hell, alot of their employees(not just reps) post here everyday. im not saying they are the only ones though.

I agree with the image thing too, j-rod. look at the Parks stuff.

just my 2 cents.
Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-21-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
Why is that J-Rod?? Hyperlite wasn't selling the "shizzle" out of the drifter when Ricky was riding that. The board looks bad azz, rides really well, and has huge pop! It fits to my style of riding. Oh and btw, being Ricky G.'s board just adds icing to the cake because he's a down to earth person and doesn't let this "fame" get to his head like a lot of other riders!! I don't think many people are just riding the board because they want to have this "bad azz" image like Ricky does. I think some of HL boads ride like crap but I know ppl that ride them just because it's Parks' board or Byerly's board. Here's your backlash!!!
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-21-2005, 11:40 AM Reply   
2004 Absolute cause nothing else matters
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-21-2005, 1:28 PM Reply   
'04 Absolute....Last of the good ones. I remember those days. He, he, he.

Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-21-2005, 1:59 PM Reply   
J-rod ~ I can't tell you anything yet. But I can tell you that the bass was on for a few seconds and HOLLY SHIZZEL!!!! The whole f'in boat was shaking. Hopefully we will hear them soon and you will have my review personally.

Joe ~ J-rod has some fins I might get when I am ready for them, but if you want to buy them for me you can try them this weekend.

Mango ~
Old    wakeboarder408            01-21-2005, 4:51 PM Reply   
I just got the 04' Absolute Plat and i think it rides better than any of the Hyperlite boards i had in the past(Parks, 3 Premier DNAs'). Its super easy to ride(no center fins), pops great and lands super soft. I love the Absolute Plat. I wouldnt buy another now.
Old    murrayair            01-21-2005, 10:19 PM Reply   
I,too,have the 04 Abs. Plat. and I like it more than any other board I have ridden. I haven't ridden Ricky G's board, but im sure you will be happy with whatever you choose.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-21-2005, 10:48 PM Reply   
It's amazing how many people love the way the Absolute rides and so few dealers carry them..
Old     (rob_c)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-21-2005, 11:25 PM Reply   
03/04 absolute
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-22-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
I have a gonzalez basically because I liked the graphics and the old premier and I got it pretty cheap. Truthfully, the board isnt going to make you land 900s. There are many pros out there landing huge tricks and many different boards. But as far as preference go, I like the ricky although it is a little slower than my substance. I do like the ricky a lot though and the old premier shape is fine with me.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-22-2005, 2:18 PM Reply   
magellan, supposedly the midwest/east has a ton of places that carry the brand. Our area was largely ignored by the previous rep, but fortunately that has been taken care of as we now have Bates who is pushing the brand heavy. You should be seeing them in more & more places, especially as the boards/boots continue to get better.