Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-28-2009, 7:24 PM Reply   
Make a long story short, I have a lease on my current truck (2007 silverado 1500) and I'm three years into my lease and with my current driving habits I will be over my alotted miles. I'm looking at a possible early trade in sometime at the end of the summer vs. early fall. I'm looking at a 250 vs. 2500; The only issue I'm running into is gas vs. diesel. I only tow during the summer and most weekends I'm towing to our lake house which is about 200 miles or so. I'm trying to figure if the $10,000 difference for the engine upgrade is worth it to go to diesel. Any input would be appreciated if diesel is worth it as well as F250 vs. 2500. By the way as of know I'm pulling a 21.5 Malibu V Ride with a possible upgrade in the near future to a bigger boat. Thanks in advance for your input.

Chris
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-28-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
I love my diesel I would never go back to a gasser I would lean towards a cummins.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-28-2009, 8:38 PM Reply   
^^^^^^ +1 for a cummins
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-28-2009, 9:24 PM Reply   
Any diesel for sure but there truly isnt a need for them. A nissan pathfinder will pull most boats to be honest with you.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-29-2009, 2:34 AM Reply   
2500HD DMAX/ALLISON

now that's a truck !!can't wait to ditch my gasser
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-29-2009, 6:35 AM Reply   
All so look at the variable cylinder option. It runs with 4-6-8 cylinders as needed that way you get better gas mileage when not towing. Unless you will tow a lot or keep the truck a long time you will not break even with the 10k difference.
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-29-2009, 7:18 AM Reply   
I have an 08 GMC DMAX/Allison. I love it.

I used to tow the boat with an 05 Sub and while it worked ok, it wasn't near as good as the diesel. The diesel is way easier to drive as far as having to plan your passes and uphills. Just hit the throttle and go.

Hopefully this is my last truck so that's how I justified the extra cost to the wifie. She likes it way more than the Sub too. We will never go back to a gasser.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-29-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm trying to tell myself that this will be my last truck for a long time but I also said that with my boat and now I'm looking at upgrading. I'm sure if I go with another gasser I will want to upgrade in a few years. I might just bite the bullet and get the diesel. I'm a big fan of the cummins but don't like the look. I hear they might be putting a cummins in the '10 Fords. Currently have a chevy and wouldn't mind staying with one but not to sold on the looks of the new one.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-29-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
I went from a 97 Z71 extra cab to a 2007 DMAX/Allison crew cab 4x4 and love it. Like others have said I plan on having this truck for a long time and you cant beat the power of a turbo diesel. The gas truck will get you there. I put over 200,000 on my Z71 towing all over the place. My stock diesel gets better mileage than my gas truck too, towing or not. An upgrade to a 3/4 ton is great as well. They feel so much more solid than my previous 1/2 ton. They go through tires faster though...a lot more weight. I was lucky to find an 07 with 9500 miles on it..I didnt leave the lot without it!
Here she is!
Upload
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-29-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
Nissan Pathfinder..... What a joke! I'd like to see that thing pull my boat up the ramp. My V8 1/2 ton truck barely does it.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-29-2009, 8:07 PM Reply   
Sean, Great looking truck! John, I was wondering if the whole nissan thing was a joke because when i read that I got a great chuckle. The more I discuss this the more I want a diesel!