Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-11-2010, 6:51 PM Reply   
What's "G" going to do if this passes:

Target: Tuolumne Board of Supervisors
Sponsored by: Tuolumne and Calaveras County Residents
Tuolumne Board of Supervisors is having a hearing on August 17, 2010 regarding a new noise ordinance for the seven surrounding lakes in Tuolumne County including Calaveras County's Lake Tulloch and New Melonies Reservoir which shares boarders with Tuolumne County. This noise ordinance would entail boats to keep their music from being heard over 100 feet. As you all know, sound travels very fast on water. You can hear people talking well over 100 feet let alone music. Please help us by signing this petition to keep the noise ordinance from passing! Let's not give law enforcement another reason to harass and discriminate. Thank you!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/13/Op...ise-Ordinance/
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-16-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
Coming soon to a lake near you. I hate the regulation as well but I'm afraid a lot of this is self inflicted. It's been debated before on this site but "noise" always seems to have the weaker chin.

Noise has killed dirt bike riding areas, car stereos are regulated, one popular outdoor dining strip in my area has regulated revving Harleys/motorcycles because riders felt the need to twist the throttle like the bike was about to stall. You cannot play loud music that is audible outside your home after 10pm and bars are forced to turn it down as well. If you are in construction, most municipalities will not let you make noise until after 8AM and not at all on Sundays. My wife even tells me I need to keep it down next time because I woke the three year old...honey I was only reading a book!

Why does the man always have it out for noise?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-16-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
Use the following strategy:

Relative noise bans are unenforcable. Sound does not equal noise - it is subjective. Like you said, you can hear a normal conversation over the water at 100-feet. The OSHA and EPA action level for noise is 85 dB(A) average, slow response. Small, inexpensive hand held meters are available that will give readings that can be logged and appropriately entered into evidence. That allows for a defense based upon an objective standard. The currently proposed regulation is entirely subjective. That is not allowed for even a speeding ticket. It is likely that the proposed regulation would be thrown out upon review by a court upon appeal.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-16-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarditup View Post
Use the following strategy:

Relative noise bans are unenforcable. Sound does not equal noise - it is subjective. Like you said, you can hear a normal conversation over the water at 100-feet. The OSHA and EPA action level for noise is 85 dB(A) average, slow response. Small, inexpensive hand held meters are available that will give readings that can be logged and appropriately entered into evidence. That allows for a defense based upon an objective standard. The currently proposed regulation is entirely subjective. That is not allowed for even a speeding ticket. It is likely that the proposed regulation would be thrown out upon review by a court upon appeal.
that's almost exactly what my buddy was told regarding music at night from his in motion topless/doorless jeep. He took it to court. He lost. cost 10x what the ticket did
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-16-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
When there's a general populace involved like there is at Tulloch all it takes is a few complaints to get the ball rolling. The city council can and will pass any law it deems neccessary to apease the residents over recreational users, happens all the time and i've yet to see one case where the recreators won out. Every bar or club near a residential area has been shut down in town here due to noise ordinances. Sucks but it's just the way it is, personally i'm really suprised it didn't happen sooner. There's alot of people with clout at Tullock and money talks.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-16-2010, 8:25 AM Reply   
I got too technical with the math on a "paced" speeding ticket where it was impossible for the cop to turn his car from the other land of traffic and pace me before he stopped me while sitting at a red light. It was a bullshirt ticket but I too got slapped with the max fine and they added driving school. For the life of me I do not know why I was stopped but I'm scarred for life.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-16-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
I'll be the old man (I'm 31) here and say that I think, when necessary, there should be some reasonable, quantified limits on noise (i.e. hours, DBs at shoreline, etc).

I live on the corner of a well populated, residential, 1.5 mile long dead end street and some people just have no idea how to be courteous. 3 AM flooring your 3/4 ton pickup with no muffler and doing a 100' burnout? Bass that rattles my whole house and sounds like the world is coming to an end at 1 AM on a Thursday?

I'm a volunteer firefighter in the town and I need to sleep well to go cut these same retards out of their vehicles when they wrap them around a tree later that night.

If people would use some common sense, quantifying it in a law wouldn't be necessary. I'm fine with loud exhaust, just be courteous and keep off the gas in a residential area, especially at times when most people are sleeping. I'm fine with loud audio equipment just use the same discretion. I'm fine with having 100 speakers on your tower, just don't keep it turned up in the late evening. Who wants to spend millions on a nice lake house and have to listen to "Move Bitch, get out the way!" and "I'm on a boat mother f-er!" blaring all day and night?

Last edited by Jeff; 08-16-2010 at 8:56 AM.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       08-16-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
I will be another old man on the topic. I think there is nothing wrong with playing your music loud and I have NVS tower speakers with tons of speakers all over my boat, but lets have some respect about it. Play it on the main channels of the lake, not in the residencial and not into the late night. Especially the offensive stuff. If you have children and also have morals you don't want your children to hear music with everyother word is suck me and fu k me. That is just disrespectful. When my children or my friends children are on the boat that type of music is not played and I think it should be the same for if I was cruising in the residencial part of the lake that type of music was not played at a loud volume. Not everyone enjoys that type of music. That would cause a complaint even faster along with the volume level. food for thought.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
I'll be the third old guy and agree with the first two!

Keep it respectful. There's a time and place for the high volume.
Old    SamIngram            08-16-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
I wonder if R M (Mojo) has read this thread....

R M Mojo Thread
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-16-2010, 2:12 PM Reply   
I'll agree along with ya all, not because i'm older than all of you but because this is the result if you don't show a little respect and use your head. Hey at 54 i still like my music loud but i know where it's appropriate and where it's not. Unlike the douche who was blasting his tunes @ 6:30AM in the no-wake at Fleming weekend before last, yup that was pretty Epic for all the campers.

Last edited by razzman; 08-16-2010 at 2:14 PM.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-16-2010, 3:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzman View Post
Unlike the douche who was blasting his tunes @ 6:30AM in the no-wake at Fleming weekend before last, yup that was pretty Epic for all the campers.
"That's only in the mornin'. You supposed to be up cookin' breakfast or sumthin'"

-Rub Bub in reference to "whistle tips"

Last edited by Jeff; 08-16-2010 at 3:53 PM.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-16-2010, 3:55 PM Reply   
Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooot whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-16-2010, 4:09 PM Reply   
All the no-wake zones on Don Pedro are already posted "no external speakers" signs all over the marinas and at the gate. It's because of the 6:30 douche.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-16-2010, 4:28 PM Reply   
Exactly my point and it's been that way for awhile. So it's was plainly obvious either he couldn't read or he just ignored it and said "screw everyone else".

For the record i'd been up for an hour but the campground was full and mostly of a church retreat group as i understand it. Real nice loud wakeup to b**ch this and m**fker that. Like was said it's all about respect.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-16-2010, 4:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by yubasanger View Post
All the no-wake zones on Don Pedro are already posted "no external speakers" signs all over the marinas and at the gate. It's because of the 6:30 douche.
Really? I must have missed them this past week. We were in H30 all week and the 630 doucher was right on schedule every morning.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-17-2010, 12:05 AM Reply   
Tower speakers did it to us. Trying to get the rider to hear his own personal music over the roar of the engine, and therefore forcing everyone behind and to the sides of him to listen to it also. I bought my boat with tower speakers, but they were so damn loud, I felt like a douche rolling down a residential neighborhood in an S-10 with the windows down pumping Kid Rock. I turned the tower speakers down and now I don't feel like I'm forcing everyone to listen to my music.

This ordinance may be a pretty good thing. And come on now, wakeboarding and boating isn't about listening to your music as if you were in a concert, its about the wakeboarding and boating. Don't be a douche thinking only about yourself. Sorry, but besides jet skiiers, loud music is my second biggest pet peeve on the lake.
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-17-2010, 6:14 AM Reply   
NOIZE!

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-17-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
Seems like a wake boat is in fashion as a party accessory by looking at many of the photos on this site. My boat is always cluttered with equipment and ropes while many other boats are more packed with stereo and video equipment. In that case, my choice would not be a crappy riding and cramped wake boat. It's like buying a Ferrari to take you kid to preschool. To each his own I guess.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-17-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
I agree Tim......flush the fashion and most of the bling.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782705

Just curious if this is what sent them over the edge.
Old     (frodady20)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-17-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
Stripper poles, and seventy five hundred tower speakers! Get real! Skull wraps, tribal band tattoo's, and not a rope or board in site! Stay at the lakes. Im just glad none of "them" are tearin up the water in the delta! Sorry if I hit home for some of you! LOL
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-17-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Richard: Just curious if this is what sent them over the edge.
What sends people over the EDGE is Stuff like this: 2:30 in the morning after the "BUMP" event, BLASTING hip Hop with F this and B..TCH that. Coming from this PONTOON Boat. While rolling down the lake with house's all around. Yea that's right. While on our way back from the event on the water this pontoon boat with a big system in it is blasting the music. I was off the water at my house I could hear every Bad word No Problem. I can take late night loud music but I can also understand where people are coming from.

I have talked with a few home owners that have lake front houses. They all pretty much say the same thing. They don't like or can’t stand the explicit lyrics being blasted into their homes.
I had a few people say. Hey some times if the music is good, late at night I open up the windows and like to listen to it. I’m not pointing the finger at explicit HIP HOP I’m pointing the finger at these guy's. Time and Place my friends, IMO they just picked the wrong time and wrong place.

People are mostly not against the partying late at night. (Although there are people who hate every noise except their barking dog) People have told me, they can take it if
#1 your moving (your not parked in front of their house booming for hr's keeping them up) the noise comes and go's
#2 NO foul Language. IMO this is what's sending people over the edge. They feel that the dirty lyrics are some how an invasion of privacy.
The most common quote is "I don’t feel that it's right my child need's to have these words blasted into their ears" ect
IMO its not HCLD's tower speakers or Hip Hop or High Powered Sound Systems
its the people that are running them.
Attached Images

Last edited by grant_west; 08-17-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-17-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
Cant you just get them banned from the lake?
If you have the CF numbers,and I can see that you do,then it is possible.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-17-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
^^Douche Canoe.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-17-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
Something tells me from the look of the guys that if you ban them from the lake....you are going to have more than just loud stereo problems from them.

Good luck..... were these the lyrics you heard

In my white tee
Yep in my white tee
I slang in my white tee
I bang in my white tee
All in the club spittin game in my white tee ...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-17-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
I love to go out on the lake and watch TV LMAO.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-17-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
Murphy-I hear ya,but the authorities can do it.
Years ago a rider of mine started some stuff with another boat while we were at the lake.
End of the night I had several Sheriffs waiting at the dock for me.
I recieved a written notice about getting banned from the lake(at least my boat)
Talked them out of it,and banned the guy from my crew.......so it is possible.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-18-2010, 3:23 PM Reply   
I grew up with my parents owning a house on the water at Discovery Bay. Finally after 30 years I moved my 70 year old mother from Discovery Bay a few years ago for this and a few other reasons. I often wanted to bust out the potato gun when D'bags rolled past my dock. Many times I gave them the "keep it down" sign (open hands palms down up and down motion as if I am pushing some something down in front of me). About half of the time they increased the volume of their crappy sounding audio system playing crappy music. I was always more lenient with those who had good systems running below the distortion limits. Of course there was also the 2 extremely considerate neighbors that had the favorite past time of tuning their 600HP offshore boats at the dock on a sunday evening around dinner time. Nothing is more enjoyable than having a screaming match over the neighbors motor noise while trying to enjoy dinner on your patio, NO...

Unfortunately those of us reading this thread are probably not the ones that will cause the ultimate noise ordinance laws to be created so there is not much we can do about it. It is always the uninformed that cause the issues.
Old    iWakesurf            08-18-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodady20 View Post
Stripper poles, and seventy five hundred tower speakers! Get real! Skull wraps, tribal band tattoo's, and not a rope or board in site! Stay at the lakes. Im just glad none of "them" are tearin up the water in the delta! Sorry if I hit home for some of you! LOL
Which part of the Delta do you ride in?

I see the same wakepartyskank boats in the Southern Delta launching/loading at River's End and boozing the day at and around Union Point.

The last time we were riding we had one of those wakeskankparty boats pass us very, very cl;osely while we were pulling a rider.

They must have been on a Wolfschmidt run or something equally important.
Old     (dirtracer27x)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-20-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
what?no girls wanted on the pervy pontoon blastin AKON with 4 douches,dam,those hoes is missin out!
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-20-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
So what was the outcome on the August 17th hearing? Did the ordinance pass or not?
Old     (TheSarge)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-20-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
Wheres Lon?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-20-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
Lon is at the Buffett.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-23-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
It's OK to be into all the electronic wizardry and I would love to watch some football on that pontoon. That stereo and TV application is totally appropriate for that rig. I just picture myself chasing electric shorts on my ski boat which always seems wet instead of enjoying the ride. Just not my thing I guess. I also like to BS with my guests instead of sitting there in hi fidelity silence staring at each other over the noise. I never understood that.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-23-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
We have a house at tulloch. And two houses in our cove this weekend were having song battles (one using there boat). It is really great when you are chillin in your cove and you get some Jay Z mixed with some Dixie Chicks all day long. I am all for having nice systems in boats. I mean Grant is one of my best friends but be respectful like he is. Go to a cove where no one is around. Or play your music loud as long as you are going somewhere in the boat, not just sitting in front of someone's house.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       08-25-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
So did this thing pass or not? Just wondering.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-25-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
I'm not sure which is worse...someone blaring loud profane music by our house or having to listen to the un - patriotic. communist dixie chicks!!

It was nice to see them committ carreer suicide several years ago
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-07-2011, 8:05 PM Reply   
So we were on Don Pedro all weekend and came across this, yes it passed and they are enforcing it seems. I talked to a Sheriff Saturday morning and he said "if we hear it or get complaints of loud music we will ticket". He then went on to say "No music tolerated in the five zones!", no wonder the ramp was super quiet, couldn't figure out why until then. I remembered this thread and thought I'd update it.
Attached Images

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-07-2011, 11:39 PM Reply   
I fully understand property owners being pissed with having to listen to someone else's punkcrap music all day long. Let the hammer fall.
Old     (mrbrian)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-08-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
This has been posted for a little while now. They are really enforcing it in the five mile an hour zone at the docks and around the house boats but they seem to be letting the waterfall stay the party cove as long as there are no major problems. No one knows when they will make a statement and come give everyone a ticket there though.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-08-2011, 1:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
What sends people over the EDGE is Stuff like this: 2:30 in the morning after the "BUMP" event, BLASTING hip Hop with F this and B..TCH that. Coming from this PONTOON Boat. While rolling down the lake with house's all around. Yea that's right. While on our way back from the event on the water this pontoon boat with a big system in it is blasting the music. I was off the water at my house I could hear every Bad word No Problem. I can take late night loud music but I can also understand where people are coming from.

I have talked with a few home owners that have lake front houses. They all pretty much say the same thing. They don't like or can’t stand the explicit lyrics being blasted into their homes.
I had a few people say. Hey some times if the music is good, late at night I open up the windows and like to listen to it. I’m not pointing the finger at explicit HIP HOP I’m pointing the finger at these guy's. Time and Place my friends, IMO they just picked the wrong time and wrong place.

People are mostly not against the partying late at night. (Although there are people who hate every noise except their barking dog) People have told me, they can take it if
#1 your moving (your not parked in front of their house booming for hr's keeping them up) the noise comes and go's
#2 NO foul Language. IMO this is what's sending people over the edge. They feel that the dirty lyrics are some how an invasion of privacy.
The most common quote is "I don’t feel that it's right my child need's to have these words blasted into their ears" ect
IMO its not HCLD's tower speakers or Hip Hop or High Powered Sound Systems
its the people that are running them.
All those speakers, and all that sausage.......not one taco.. Bahahahahahahahahahaa
And if those guys are reading this, please don't stab me and sick your pitbull on my family. Thanks.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-08-2011, 1:27 PM Reply   
Surprised they didn't custom some spinners for those pontoons....