Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-16-2008, 9:10 PM Reply   
so i just got a new dvd, on sale for 20 bucks it has 3 classic wake videos on it, mayday, spray and hit it.
Mayday is an incredible video. you can tell that the stuff being thrown in that video was crazy for that time, and its still got alot of that oldschool style.
i never really got a picture before about how good murray or byerly are. i mean it was 1998 and they were throwing the first sevens, and i think murray even did a whirly 5!
its just crazy to see the progression of wakboearindg from then till now.
great video.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-16-2008, 9:16 PM Reply   
i still think that by far mayday is the best video of all time. could watch that vid over and over again forever. i have every song from that vid on my ipod.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-16-2008, 9:31 PM Reply   
mayday > *

i don't think murray did a whirly 5. i think it was a crook. i could be wrong though.
Old     (orlandowake)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-17-2008, 5:19 AM Reply   
That is my favorite video. I still look to that video for inspiration for my riding.

Murray lands whirly 5 and crow 5 in the dark with only a flashlight lighting him up. Unbelievable.
Old    justinh            01-17-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
I have that dvd. I love watching Spray and hit-it back to back. It is hard to imagine that is only one year of progression.

Scott Byerly's: "Mr. Scott Byerly" section in Hit-it changed my life.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-17-2008, 6:35 AM Reply   
orlandowake, you're absolutely right. i totally forgot about that!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-17-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
Two words ---------> LAKE POWELL

A lot of the classic and popular movies are set partly or completely in Powell

Spray
Mayday
The Truth
... and more

...ok, so maybe i am a little biased and proud of my homeland. I'll admit there are plenty of other AWESOME videos that have very little of lake powell in them if not no scenery from powell. AND i'll admit that the scenery isn't the only thing that makes a vid great... but it helps ;)

By the way, Gator's section is awesome in Mayday, i love it... too bad he busted his knee, but yet at the same time it adds to the movie... not to take glory in his pain or anything
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-17-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
Shaun Murray has a line in For What It's Worth (still my favorite video) that goes like this:

Crow Mobe, Back Mobe, Crow Mobe 5, Whirly 5.

This is from like, 1998.

Day-yum.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-17-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
Mayday was a great flick, a classic. There were several 7's in Mayday if I remember correctly, though I haven't seen it for a year or two. Fairly sure Gator threw a couple off the dub and Nelson threw one or two off the wake. My favorite trick in Mayday, though, is probably Gator's dub heel 5 where he goes HUGE (even by today's standards) over the cliffs in the background. Gator had serious ups.

Byerly and Gator's parts in Spray changed my life, or at least showed me what could be done on a wakeboard and made me want to try to do the same.
Old    K.B.C.            01-17-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
Mayday, one of the best wake flicks EVER. Not sure if I prefer it or "Hit It!". Hit It was the first wake vid I ever had and has a lot of local footage. Great Vids.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-17-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
I think for riding and its time For What Its Worth was one of the best videos ever made. The actual video footage isn't so good but the riding is great for the time!
Mayday is also a great movie. And I think 12 Honkeys is also on of the best of all time.

Maybe I am just old and washed up but all of the new videos seem kind of boring. I guess those other videos were more in my prime of wakeboarding. BCP Mike
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-17-2008, 9:43 PM Reply   
yea i know that byerly did a toe 7 and murray did a heel 7 and some other guy did one off the wake. im not sure about gator doing one but i do remember that gator goes HUGE!
its really different watching videos from today though. way to many repeated tricks. but i guess it was like that back in the day to, just different tricks
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-17-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
MayDay is my all time favorite video. Along with Byerly doing a TS 7 & Murray doing a HS 7 (both off DU's), Nelson does a TS 7 & Gator does a HS Wrapped 7 (both off DU's as well). Necrason loses the handle on a Wake TS attempt.

I remember the first 7 ever caught on video. 1997, Byerly doing a TS DU 7 in Skurf's up! at RNR Surf & Ski in Hawaii off a Ski Nautique 2001. Vintage )
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-17-2008, 10:22 PM Reply   
wasn't nelson's 7 on mayday the first w2w 7 on film?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-18-2008, 2:29 AM Reply   
Joe, could be. I forgot that he did 2 in MayDay (both TS, one off the DU and the other was w2w).

I'm not sure if this counts since I think most still considered it skiboarding back then but I remember Cory Pickos landing a w2w 7 at one of the pro tour stops in either 1992 or 93.
Old    justinh            01-18-2008, 6:13 AM Reply   
Ryan--that is gold. I've seen home videos of Corey doing 7's pre-twin tip circa 1993-94 and post on an exocet (I think) 1995 or so.

It is interesting how history is written. I will try to track down the footage.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-18-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
i want to see a 7 on a skurf. honestly thats sounds rediculous
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-18-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
I personally thought treehouse films Westside was another highly under-rated movie.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-18-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
Agreed. Up until I saw Collin Wright ride in Westside (both his own section and the double up section), it seemed riders mostly slapped and spun or at least didn't make grabbing a focus. Collin laid out super sick, linked lines with solidly grabbed, technical spins where grabbing (not necessarily in the easiest spot) was a focus. For that reason, Westside also has a special place in my wakeboarding heart, with the possible exception of the all NWA soundtrack.
Old    K.B.C.            01-18-2008, 4:09 PM Reply   
c'mon BCH is NWA too gangsta for you?
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       01-18-2008, 11:16 PM Reply   
I remember Pickos doing that seven in competition. I also remember Jeff Heer doing a mobe 5 in a comp but the commentators didn't really make much of a deal about either one. Unless you were a popular rider you didn't really get much respect for cool moves.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-19-2008, 1:07 AM Reply   
Robert, I have the video footage of Heer doing the Mobe 5 at the 99 Ft. Lauderdale pro tour stop, and he even did it switch. And you're right, the commentators didn't even make a deal about it.

Justin, isn't it funny to go back and watch old footage like that. A lot of the guys from back then came from trick skiing so it wasn't uncommon to see stuff like that. Basically, it was guys like Shapiro, Byerly, Kovak, and to a point, Perez that redefined the way you made riding a wakeboard look. Big and with style.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-19-2008, 7:27 AM Reply   
david....whats the video set called and where did you get it. I dont have those video's and now you have peeked my interest.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-19-2008, 6:18 PM Reply   
Possibly, yes, but I also remember being in "family environments" trying to promote that video, and specifically Collin Wright's section, and having to mute around kids and/or older adults and/or "apologize". No earmuffs handy and lots of swear words. Hard to spread the "word" to the masses.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-20-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
some of the trick skiing riders made wakeboarding look really bad.
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       01-22-2008, 5:32 PM Reply   
Look at Byerly when he first came on the tour. He was rocking one boot and one sandle binding all twisted like most of the trick skiers. I am not saying anything bad about Byerly but you have to remember what the technology was and where the influences were coming from. Pickos was a trick skier and did a 720 off the wake long before others.
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-22-2008, 6:21 PM Reply   
Is blacklist any good? Its another video from a trip to powell with some big name riders. Never seen it though. Just wondering if its worth buying.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-22-2008, 7:18 PM Reply   
anybody know where i might be able to find the movie flatline, prefferably on dvd. not the wakeskate one. there was one made prior to the wakeskate, sometime in the late 90's.

also looking for westside on dvd
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-24-2008, 5:09 PM Reply   
I don't think either of those were made on DVD...ever.

As for blacklist, I found it to be entertaining, but I recall some people being disappointed in their purchase. I can see where they're coming from because the mayday ideal was totally burnt out at that point (and people kept trying to do it in wakeboarding)...but on the other hand, there's a classic list of riders with some good riding and some entertaining rail stunts. I like the bonus sections a lot as well.

(Message edited by electricsnow on January 24, 2008)