Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (robert_t)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-07-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
I ordered a Supra 21v in December.
I just heard it should be here any day. This is the first boat I've ever owened and need advice for when I pick it up from the dealer. What to expect when I get it. Any suggestions for me.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-07-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
Remember to put the plug in.

I forgot to do this when I picked up my new boat from the dealer a few months back. Hell, it wasn't even my first boat, I was just in awe of how nice it was.
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-07-2005, 6:02 PM Reply   
Robert-
I noticed you live in Modesto. If you ever need someone to go with or someone to go with you, give me a call. I live in Stockton and am always looking for people to go with, especially in the winter. I have an older Nautique. We can take either boat.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-07-2005, 7:39 PM Reply   
I would like to think that the dealer will take you out on your first run with your new boat.
You know show you how everything works and how
to load and unload the boat. Since your dropping a crap load of money thats the least they can do. Right? And if they dont offer, dont be afraid to ask.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-07-2005, 7:58 PM Reply   
Post some pics when you bring it home. I just orderd my 21V last week.
I agree, the dealer will take you through the whole thing..... Nice first boat!!! Can't say mine was that nice...
Old     (robert_t)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-10-2005, 7:18 PM Reply   
Well after getting all excited about my boat coming in I just found out the boat is still in Tennesse waiting to be shipped. But the good news is it's finished! This will be my first boat so any suggestions are helful. Over last weekend at the Plasenton boat show I bought my board, life vest and rope, hope to take the family to get thier's soon. I guess this will give me a liitle more time to get ready. They think it will be here in a week or two.Trevor we may have to meet up someday if your this close I have a lot to learn this summer so me and my family will enjoy the boat.
Old    jmo52            02-10-2005, 10:08 PM Reply   
I know how it feels. Like it,s never gonna get here. Kevin is right the dealer should definitly demo that boat for you.Being a new boat owner make sure they show you everything. Make sure you know how to shut off the batteries,always use the blower before starting. ALWAYS CHECK GAUGES!! temp around 150,oil pressure 40+,volt 14. Also you may want to have them show you how to anchor your boat properly as well as have him show you how to run your boat with a fake a lake.It is a good idea to visually look over the engine while your out on the lake(check for leaks). Hope this helps. CONGRATS!!
Old    deltahoosier            02-10-2005, 10:23 PM Reply   
Do not learn to power turn
Old    waterdog2            02-10-2005, 10:58 PM Reply   
Make sure your hitch is the right height before you pick it up. Lights that work help also.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-11-2005, 5:30 AM Reply   
Tool kit with a sharp knife. You will need it to cut the rope away from the prop the first time you run it over. It seems as if everyone I know has done this at least once.
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-11-2005, 5:06 PM Reply   
Robert-
email me anytime if you want to hook up. I can show you some good spots to hit on the Delta. There are even some good family spots with sand beaches. I have a wife and 3 young kids myself. Good luck with the boat man!
Old     (ccraftskierfan)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-11-2005, 6:45 PM Reply   
This list comes from Malibuboatowners website:

Plan to spend a couple of hours going over the boat, the further the dealer is away, the more time you need to spend. The items can be broken down into the following areas: Confirmation of Order (options), Documentation (including warranty) Appearance (including fit and finish), Operational, Training, and Maintenance,

Confirmation of Order
Right Model
Right Color
Exterior – Base, Main Panel, Accents, Decals, etc
Interior – Base, Main Panel, Accents, Piping, Carpet, Bead, etc
Right Trailer – Single or tandem
Right Options – Are all options ordered are installed, (factory and dealer)
Any dealer accessories included in deal, (anchor, ropes, fire extinguisher, etc)

Documentation
Manuals, (boat, engine, transmission, trailer etc)
Warranties (boat, engine, trailer, vinyl etc)
Title or certificate (boat and trailer)

Appearance (fit and finish)
Entire gelcoat surface, smooth, no scratches, blisters, or cracks, take special not around fixtures
Swim platform – centered, smooth, all mounting screws, and smooth operation of Wedge door.
Decals – Straight, no bubbles or loose corners
Interior – Review all seats and cushions for quality work, no wrinkles, no cuts, check for fit, especially corners and underneath cushions
Windshield, check frame and glass, (opening on walk through) and proper installation.
Windscreen for bow riders, fit and scratch free
Netting in storage area, tight, attached well
Carpet, (also check storage areas for loose points
Tower, properly mounted and flex free.

Operational (depends on in/out of water)
All dash switches, and the device it supports
All latches/locks, and hinges
All gauges (also check if tight)
Speedos
Horn
Perfect Pass system properly calibrated
Stereo, Radio and CD, (reception, fader and balance
Lights, convenience, running
Bilge Pump
Blower
All options, (shower, heater, MLS, Perfect Pass)
Steering
Throttle
Tower fold down
Trailer winch
Trailer jack
Trailer lights
Trailer brakes (and lockout if equipped)
Trailer bearings (check for proper grease levels)

Familiarity Training
Location of: drain plugs, blower, bilge pump, fuel filters, oil filter, oil drain, impeller, cooler drains, battery, stern light, serial number (engine, hull), circuit breakers, transmission, v-drive, shaft packing, speedo pickups, water pickup, gas fill, oil fill, transmission fill, v-drive fill
Operation of all options
Starting procedures
General launching guidelines based on the trailer
Trailer tire pressure

Maintenance
Review annual and interval maintenance items
Vinyl Cleaning
Carpet Cleaning
Wax recommendations
Winterizing/Storage needs
Trailer lubrication

Old    fun9c1            02-11-2005, 7:30 PM Reply   
Read the owners manual and practice backing your trailer BEFORE you bring it to the lake. A buddy and I once waited what seemed like an eternity for some jackass with more money than brains try to figure out how to back up his trailer without jackknifing it before he got to the water. Then once he finally got it in the water he couldn't start it. We had to go over and explain to him that there was probably a neutral safety switch somewhere which he never heard of, and which we had to find for him. Then once he got it started he couldn't back up. We then had to explain to hime that his outdrive was up in the air and the propeller needed to be in the water in order to be of any use. I hsve to give him credit, he figured out how to operate that all by himself.

Don't be "that guy"!

Congratulations on your boat! I remember the feeling well of towing home my first (and present) boat! Oh yeah, if your boat has been sitting outside with a half-assed cover on it full of holes, take out the plug so you don't tow home half a boat-full of water like I did... ;)

Enjoy your new toy!
Old     (pcm2a)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-12-2005, 7:10 PM Reply   
Be so carefull with that if its your first boat!

My first boat was a old 1987 sea ray beater. I broke my prop at least 5 times in one summer. I hit the dock a couple times really hard by accident and scraped the fire out of it.

I even tried to trailer it one time and went off the side and stuck someones boat.

Now with my new boat I have learned all that and havnt had a problem.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-12-2005, 10:48 PM Reply   
damn, cameron. did anyone introduce you to boating or did you just jump into it?
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-13-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
In addition to what jeff 2 said: Think twice before turning and give yourself extra space when towing, your twice as long and also need additional stopping distance.