Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-29-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
if you paid top dollar for a 23' Wakeboat that is now 2 years old, and the tower cracks in 3 places. And you actually worked boat shows for them, and sold a boat, toured the facility, met owners, etc. What if they tell you its not under warranty and to go to the Tower Company? Not my boat either. Give some advice or input as to what should be done by both parties to solve these issues.

No names to be mentioned. Thank you.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-29-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
Try the tower company --if they help the boat company made a good choice on its provider

if they tower company doesn't help fix the tower, sell it and let the company know you're not happy they suck....
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       09-29-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
Just to put a flip-spin on this....

What has the guy been doing with the tower? and how can the company building the tower be assured that he's only done what he said he has with it?

It could be that he's been towing big tubes, diving off it, hanging stacks of speakers etc on it - who knows? Not abusing purposefully, but equally, pushing the tower beyond what it was meant to do.

It could be a faulty product or customer neglect, who knows? and that's why these situations are so tricky to call.

its all well and good to say "I wanna see the manufacturer step up on this and take care of the guy" but equally, why should they if he did something that caused the failure?

I'm absolutely not saying he has done... just playing devils advocate to get both sides on a reasonable dispute.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-29-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
he has been hookin great white sharks with it on the delta, the fishing poles mount on the board racks right?
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-29-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
regardless the boat builder should stand behind it - sue them
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       09-29-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
TQ - Serious? It's out of warranty...

and quite seriously you always believe they should back the product up regardless?

If you have that thinking then you'd agree I could go out tomorrow, buy a car with 1 days warranty outstanding, then load it full of bricks and just sit in a parking lot for 5 days with it doing burnouts and drifting... then once the engine, clutch, gearbox etc blows up and the seats are torn to shreds I could within reason take it back to Ford or whoever and say "Hey man I need this fixing - fix it or I'll sue you"

Again, I'm not saying the boat owner has in anyway mistreated the product - but who knows right? Should the manufacturer always have to step up to the plate? is that fair? How long should things last?

One final note... XTP makes the towers for almost all the big boat companies and they cover their towrs with a 7 year warranty so with a little luck - this guy could be sorted without any hassle.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-29-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
If it is out of warranty then nothing to be said, you should have bought a different boat.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-29-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
Brit has it,

Just this weekend I saw a newer x-star at Parker towing in a staled out jet boat with the tow rope attached to the tower.

I asked the guy "not your boat uh" he asked why I asked why he towed the guy in using the tower he said that "it was bumpy out there and he wanted to keep the bow up"

I wish I had the camera
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-29-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
Saw a guy at Saguaro (AZ) on Saturday sitting on the tower with the boat doing about 30mph. If his tower breaks, I'm sure he'll 'forget' to tell the tower company that he was doing this.
Old     (heygreg)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-29-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
Honestly speaking.........I would find out who makes Cobalts SS towers. You could lift a sunken boat out of the water with their towers. Polished stainless! My boys have chin up contest on our tower, 3 at a time.

I wonder what boat mfg your refering???

I'd sure love to know.

Capt Greg
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-29-2008, 7:09 PM Reply   
a tower doesnt just snap in 3 places...
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-29-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
All I can say is that there is no way that it can take down three barrels!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-29-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
To answer the question, I would go to company who manufactured the tower, just as I was advised.

I would see if they would resolve my issue. If they did not...and I felt that the company that sold me the boat didn't live up to what "I expected" of them....I would cease doing ANY business with them. If ask in the future about my experience with them(this would not be my first, nor my last boat I assume), I would tell my story and how it made me feel.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-30-2008, 11:53 PM Reply   
Sam must be a jaws fan
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-01-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
this has been resolved by the tower co with no issues. thanks for your input.
Old     (t__p)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-02-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
unless they helped you with getting in contact with the tower co I would not do anything else for them.

also, if said person did all this for them, said person should not have paid " top dollar"