Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old    billy_ray            10-16-2005, 9:59 AM Reply   
i have an 06 malibu vlx... should i buy a wake surf or skate.. which one is easier to ride.. and which was is funner to ride???
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-16-2005, 10:34 AM Reply   
surf
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-16-2005, 11:22 AM Reply   
buy both.

you can get a skate for CHEAP!

and a surfer will run ya about 200-350 bucks.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-16-2005, 12:10 PM Reply   
surf is good to have for rough water days, and if you can drop payments on an 06 bu buy both.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-16-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
With Mad & Mike on this. Be kind, try to keep the wakesurfing for the rough water, or when no one near is trying to wakeboard (smooth water).

Which is more fun? 1) wakeboarding. 2)wakesurfing.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on October 16, 2005)
Old     (whirlynuke02)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-16-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
wakeskating is awesome coming from wakeboarding because the falls are easier and its more like wakeboarding than wakesurfing. wakesurfing is fun but its really hard and you need to have a lot of ballast for it to be worthwhile.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-16-2005, 1:06 PM Reply   
I had a wakeskate last 2 summers but never used it...I have used the surf and love it...When the water gets choppy we pull out the surf and can still have a fun day on the water.
Old    wakeceo            10-16-2005, 1:51 PM Reply   
Mad Child is right...both man...skates are super cheap.

http://www.bakesonline.com/Wakeskates.aspx
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-16-2005, 3:08 PM Reply   
Just PLEASE don't surf through the nice calm water and destroy it for the wakeboarders. I HATE that! Wakesurfing wrecks the water for miles.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-16-2005, 5:23 PM Reply   
if you drive in a straight line wakesurfing isnt any worse than wakeboarding or wakeskating.
Old    justsomeguy            10-16-2005, 5:38 PM Reply   
"Just PLEASE don't surf through the nice calm water and destroy it for the wakeboarders. I HATE that! Wakesurfing wrecks the water for miles."

Please don't wakeboard through nice calm water because it wrecks the water for water skiers, patio boat BBQers and fishermen for miles...

(Message edited by justsomeguy on October 16, 2005)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-16-2005, 8:48 PM Reply   
O.K., don't ski, drive your patio boat/BBQ or fish in nice calm water becaues it wrecks the water for wakesurfers...Geez
Old    justsomeguy            10-16-2005, 9:24 PM Reply   
He swings and....he misses.

I've yet to see any boat, short of a few big ole cabin cruisers, "wreck" the water for wakesurfing (and that is a brief thing).

Please try again punk.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-16-2005, 10:33 PM Reply   
When I am limited to surfing, I stay out of the way of wakeboarders and skiers which require the nice water.

"Please try again punk." What's with the insults?

JSG, have you ever seen a wakesurfer going down the middle of Vics through the butter on a Saturday? If that doesn't bother you, then maybe you're, "That guy."
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-17-2005, 5:00 AM Reply   
jrod, i think that was directed at porkchops comment about "wrecking the nice calm water for wakesurfers"

im guessing it was a drunken poke.......

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (jhoward)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-17-2005, 6:55 AM Reply   
surf
Old    justsomeguy            10-17-2005, 8:00 AM Reply   
Is it really that hard to follow along?

"punk" wasn't an insult. Porkchops = socalwakepunk.

Get it?

No, I have never wakesurfed down Vics nor have I seen anyone wakesurfing in Vics. I'm sure it's happened though.

J-rod, back to your original whine, how would someone wakesurfing down Vics "wreck the water for miles"?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-17-2005, 8:23 AM Reply   
Sorry the sarcasm in my last post was hard to recognize.

Let me try to explain it this way: Patio boat BBQrs and fishermen do not care about glass smooth water, and if you just keep a reasonable distance, there should be no problem. Skiers seek the same butter that we (wakeboarders) do. Usually skiers and wakeboarders learn to share the same line, or stick to different areas of the water, so this is not a problem. Have yet to see a fisherman, patio/BBQ boater, or for that matter a skier, break out a wakesurfer. Wakeboarders are the ones who wakesurf. And sometimes people new to wakeboarding/wakesurfing do not realize that it kills it for everyone when they start to surf on glass where other people (wakeboarders) are trying to ride.

And, yes, J-Rod is correct, all it takes is 1 surfer, and Elsinore is done. Why would J-Rod lie about this anyway?

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on October 17, 2005)
Old    substance13            10-17-2005, 9:02 PM Reply   
Buy both dude. You can surf whenever, even when its really rough. Wakeskates are really fun to play around on when your dead tired from wakeboarding.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-19-2005, 5:59 PM Reply   
Wakesurfing does create huge rollers in the direction you are going. I've actually done it briefly in Vics (on a post-season weekday), saw how bad it actually was, and then took off and surfed in another spot. Of course the rollers going off to the side dissipate almost immediately and are not too bad.

To answer the original question of the post, get both :-) The skate is tons of fun and great to mix things up during the day, and the surfboard will SAVE THE DAY if you get to your wonderful water destination and its nasty and choppy.