Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (photoguy)      Join Date: May 2005       04-15-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
Anyone have any experience/opinions on buying a used boat out of state and having it shipped? So Cal seems high compared to the rest of the country so I am seriously considering buying out of state.

Thanks

Steve
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-15-2007, 5:30 PM Reply   
goto uship.com.

I got a quote as low as $1200. To ship a boat from SOCAL to New Jersey. Most other quotes were between 1600-2500
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-15-2007, 5:50 PM Reply   
Some sellers, like me, are willing to meet someone half way. You might ask about that if it's even an option for you.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-15-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
I had my boat shipped from Seattle to ATL, cost 2500 and I had it in six days.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-15-2007, 9:07 PM Reply   
uship.com and get the boat shrinkwrapped.

Just yesterday I took delivery of a 2005 VLX from North Carolina, which I bought from a wakeworlder. Even after a 2500 mile haul, the thing was extremely clean once the wrap came off.

Boats in the south are definitely cheaper than out west. Even with the shipping costs, I came out way ahead over what I would have gotten in CA or what I would have dropped on a new one. For me, the best benefit was that once I expanded my search nationwide, I was able to pick out the boat options almost as if I were buying new. Heater, Titan III, front ballast, low hours and certain colors were among the things that I was being picky on. I would have paid one or two thousand more for the right used boat out west, but I couldn't find it. And I just couldn't drop 60k on a new one.

Also, with uship, be very flexible with your delivery times. My first few bids were close to around $2500, and I was discouraged on the idea, but haulers in the area looking to head out west to go home or for another haul were willing to take it for much less. I ended up getting many bids in the $1500-1600 range.

Good luck!!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-16-2007, 7:22 AM Reply   
Call Sammy Orr Trucking Co (865) 856-2854 in TN, I used him a few years ago and highly recommend him. TN to Socal, $1500.
Old     (danimal)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-16-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
Just completed a transaction through USHIP as well. Used Ron's Transport. (928) 768-9216 heaton@citlink.net Ron Heaton is his name and he had about 60+ something on his feedback, all glowing positive. Paid $1500 S.Cal to Dallas, TX. (USHIP takes around 8%) He wasn't the cheapest but with a 40K boat it pays to get the best. He is DOT and very well insured which many are not.

To some it up the transaction went perfectly. Great communication through out. Highly recommend.

*Could save a few bucks by bypassing USHIP and going straight to the source. *
Old     (photoguy)      Join Date: May 2005       04-16-2007, 8:54 AM Reply   
This info is great guys thanks a bunch! Makes me feel like the idea of buying out of state is the way to go.

Thanks!

Steve

(Message edited by photoguy on April 16, 2007)
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-16-2007, 11:25 PM Reply   
U-ship rules! Just used it to get my boat from TX to Orlando. Very easy and trouble free.
Old     (alotta_fagina)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-17-2007, 7:25 PM Reply   
What boat are you looking for that you can't find in socal?