Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (jms)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-16-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
I am building a board out of EPS (Extruded Polystyrene). I have got the board shaped and it is looking good. The only problem is that is is pink. I would like to paint it.

Can I paint it before I glass it?
WHat type of paint would you all recommend?

I will post pictures when I get further along with the project.

Thanks
Old    surfdad            09-16-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
Actually, Extruded Polystyrene is referred to as XPS or Styrofoam. EPS is Expanded Polystyrene. The Pink...is that the Ownes Corning insulation? That is XPS. Also, you've been cautioned about the delam issue with XPS?

Regarless both XPS and EPS will disvolve when exposed to the styrenes in rattle can paint, so if you want to paint the foam, you'll use a water based paint like we used in kindergarten! :-) I believe that Tempera Poster Paint is available at most arts and crafts stores and works well.

Alternatively, you can paint after glassing and then shoot some clear acrylic over it to protect the artwork. You can use just about any type of paint over cured epoxy.

Keep us posted on the progress!
Old     (jms)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-16-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
Yes it is the pink insulation board. I used 3 layers of 1/2" glued together with Gorilla Glue. I bent it over my Ronix Stage 5'4" to get the rocker. Then cut out the board outline and sanded until It got to be the right shape. (I think I saw you do something similar on a thread)

I am not aware of delaming issues with XPS. Do you mean the resin and glass delamming from the board? Is roughing up the surface of f the foam with a coarse sanding before glassing a good idea?

Also can I paint between epoxy resin layers or is that no no?

Oh, and thanks for the reply.
Old    surfdad            09-16-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
You're welcome Jon.

Correct, the 'glass separating from the foam. XPS out-gasses when it gets hot, plus it is copolymerized with polyethelene which almost nothing sticks to. Two folks have posted up issues of their boards getting hot and a subsequent delamination.

I'd recommend a light color paint (no black) and keep the board in the shade and away from direct sunlight where it can heat up. There are board bags with a reflective surface, I think that would help protect your project, also.

I LOVE the way you set the rocker, two or three layers and the foam stays in place.

Roughing up the surface will help the 'glass/epoxy adhere better, it gets rid of that slick skin, but doesn't change the out-gassing issue.

You can paint between layers, you just want to make sure that the XPS is sealed (no sand thru's) before using a paint containing styrene.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-16-2008, 6:21 PM Reply   
For XPS I agree with Jeff
Glass the board and "hotcoat" it. Sand it down with 100 or 150 to get rid of the zits and so forth. Maybe take it to 220. Paint away. Let it dry nice and good. Rough it up a bit lightly with a scrunge pad. Then lay down another layer of epoxy or clear acrylic as Jeff said.