Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (canada_air)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-11-2004, 9:15 AM Reply   
help my sundeck is pink. i have 95 maristar and i had a new black snap on tarp made and we have had major rain for the last week. i undid tarp to find the white vinyl is pink and it looks like some tried to dye it. is it possible that maybe dye from the new waterproof tarp came out due to condensation.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-11-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
Its Mildew in the seats. What probably happened is your new black snap on tarp held heat and moisture in the boat more than your old cover causing a rapid growth of mildew. You should NEVER put your cover on your boat and leave it covered for an extended period of time if the boat is at all wet for this exact reason. When the seats on MC's mildew it shows through the vinyl as pink spots. Dr. Vinyl will have to redye your seats white or you can have them revinyled.

Black covers are awesome looking but they tend to cause more problems than they are worth. Sorry to break it to you but this might have been a costly mistake.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-11-2004, 9:29 AM Reply   
Allan,
The bench seats in my '01 X-Star did the same thing. I talked to MC and they are replacing all of them. You might want to talk to your dealer.
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-11-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
Yep, Kstate is right. Doubt MC will warranty a 95.
Paul, you're lucky to get replaced. I fought MC on the my 205v and finally gave up and bought a new boat. Mc knows the problem with 2000 and 2001 boats. Service bulletin said it was a microscopic mildew.
Old     (canada_air)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-11-2004, 9:47 AM Reply   
the boat was dry and i do not think mastercraft will warranty vinyl from 1995. will the pink go away if left in sun? will recovering sundeck with new vinyl end with same result. the old tarp was pitiful but probably pitiful enough to still breath. in the future my boat will be kept in marina and it is not uncommon for me to have to tarp when carpet is still wet to go home for weekend. is the rest of my interior going to turn pink
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
I had the same thing happen after a rainstorm in 100 degree heat here in AZ. The black cover (from MasterCraft no less) bled dye all over my back v-drive cover and made it a light pinkish color.

I believe that being out in the sun did the best to bleach the color off, but it will probably take a long time and I got too impatient for that.

Give Starbrite Vinyl Cleaner and Conditioner a try:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/69546.html

It works really well for me for general cleaning, I didn't know about it when my deck got stained pink, but it may do the trick.

What I did back then was to dilute regular old chlorine bleach about 1/2 and 1/2 with water and wipe it on with a rag soaked in it. Leave it on for about 3-5 minutes and wash off with soapy water (the soap will help neutralize the bleach). Then rinse REALLY well. You may have to do that 2 or 3 times, but it got almost all of the staining off. I had some very light pink stains left in the stiching, but they dissappeared after about 2 weekends in the sun. I know bleach (especially chlorine bleach) is not reccommended to clean vinyl but I haven't had any hardening or cracking and that was at least 3 years ago...maybe 4.

I put a white sheet between the black cover and the V-Drive vinyl after that incident and did'nt have the problem return.

BTW, I had a new (light grey this time) cover made about 2 years ago and it turned my white rub rail pink when it got hot. I know pink is pimp, but not so much in this case. I tried bleach on that too but pretty much the only things that worked at all on the rubrail were ajax and some sandpaper.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-11-2004, 10:59 AM Reply   
When I said they are replacing it, I mean that they are just recovering it. The problem will probably re-occur, but they have recognized the problem, so I will have recourse. I will probably get a new boat in a year or so. I was suprised that they offered to recover it. The warranty on the interior is only a year.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-11-2004, 11:31 AM Reply   
They are recovering the seats because MC knows they screwed up using that type of vinyl... They had no idea that it would mildew and turn into pink spots. Usually once it starts on one seat it will eventually do it to the others. Your best bet is to probably have all the seat cushions recovered in a light grey (that won't show pink through it)...
Old     (canada_air)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-11-2004, 12:05 PM Reply   
if a person uses non mastercraft vinyl will the problem still occur. if other brands do not have the problem than is it the vinyl or the foam?

i have had a couple boats before and the never had problem and i tarp them soaked and just about died from humidity when pulled cover off
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-11-2004, 12:17 PM Reply   
Not really sure if its the brand or what? I've tarped mine up wet before and not had that problem but it could be the way the reticulated foam holds moisture? But that probably can't be it since that style of foam was designed specifically NOT to hold any moisture? I wish I had the answer for you guys, I just know from working at an MC dealership that I saw several (at least 10 boats) ranging from 2000 to 2002 with pink spots (mildew) in the vinyl. I have yet to see any pink spots on any 03 or 04's that have the grey vinyl.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2004, 5:26 PM Reply   
I don't think the problem allan started this thread with is the mildew problem MasterCraft had with their vinyl. I only encountered a similar problem in areas where the cover was directly touching the white vinyl. This really only occurrs on the V-Drive and the front portions of the rub rails.

So at least in my case, and most probably allan's it was either the dye in the cover or some odd reaction between the white plastic/vinyl and the cover material backing.
Old    socalboats            06-12-2004, 5:33 AM Reply   
My buddy's 99 Xstar had a similar problem. Not sure of exact cause, but had pink spots. He hit them with bleach and they went away. I know that is a big no no for vinyl, but it worked for him, and the vinyl looks fine.

Phil
Old     (canada_air)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-12-2004, 8:12 AM Reply   
i would like to thank everyone for there assistance in this matter. i am going to try bleach whenever it decides to stop raining here. if this does not work i will recover the sundeck in the fall. i know the bleach can be hard on the vinyl but worst case scenario i replace the vinyl on sundeck.