Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-26-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
I have a Dodge Durango 4X4 with a 5.9L V8. All stock suspension. What have you guys done to make your rig not sag in the rear when towing. I'm looking for the cheapest/ easiest way to get the job done properly. I thought I was going to have to add a leaf spring, but a buddy of mine said they make shocks that air up using an air compressor and an air chuck? Has anyone heard of these or better yet, used them? Maybe someone has some other ideas? I'm open to all suggestions.

Air bags are probably out of the budget. I'd like to keep it <$500.

Thanks in advance.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-26-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
I installed a Firestone Ride-Rite airbag system in my 1/2 ton Chevy which included the onboard compressor. I loved the bags, could get a little bouncy at times, but the ondemand compressor was great to adjust for different loads and stiffness. The whole thing was $250 plus my own install. It was a bolt on application.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
I don't think you can use the words cheapest and done properly to get the results you want. Why not spend a little bit extra and do it right the first time. If you can't bag it which in my opinion is the best way to go then all there is really left to do is to add on overload spring onto the spring pack to make it not sag when you add a trailer to your rig.
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-26-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
I had the same system as Jason did but had it installed. It came to around what your budget is. It did the trick but I hated the ride. My next tow rig was a Yukon XL with auto-ride self leveling suspension.I would never do without that type of a system as long as I tow a boat.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-26-2007, 4:23 PM Reply   
Air bags are the only way to maintain a decent ride when unloaded.
Old     (bobbym)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-26-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
I installed air-ride bags on my f150.
Works great.
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-26-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
Overload Springs
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-26-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
Do these look like they would do the trick? i can just imagine that if you didn't have the internal compressor, it would be a royal pain in the A** to fill up with a compressor and a chuck from home, or at a gas station.

How do overload springs affect the ride when something is not in tow?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/performance/basket.php?makeid=7&modelid=276&year=1999&partid=1 2166&brandid=3156

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/performance/brand.php?makeid=7&modelid=276&year=1999&partid=16 366
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-26-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
Hey bobby m what year and kinf od F 150 do you have and how much were your air ride bags? Jw seems like something i might like to do. I have a 2000 F 150 ext cab so it seems like i might wanna do that.. thanks in advance
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-26-2007, 7:50 PM Reply   
It is a pain in the butt to not have a compressor on board. If you have it you can also use it as an inflator for water toys or tires.
It would be nicest to have one that deflated and inflated automatically to keep the truck level. I've had a full air suspension on a dually van for about 20 years now.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-26-2007, 8:37 PM Reply   
I had a friend who had a Camaro with air shocks, and had with air lines run to a common valve at the bumper. This could work, air it up at home then release when you drop your trailer.
Don't ask what drand and where to find itt that was 12-13 yr's ago.
Old     (lowdrag)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-27-2007, 4:32 AM Reply   
Helper or overload springs like this http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/helper_springs.html would do the trick. Easy to install also. If you adjust them right they shouldn't do much to effect the unloaded ride.
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-27-2007, 5:15 AM Reply   
Give these a look: http://www.timbren.com/

I had them on my 00' Durango and currently on my 04' Grand Cherokee.
Old     (bobbym)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-27-2007, 7:02 AM Reply   
Eder,

I've got a 2001 supercrew.
I got the air-lift ride control kit and ($180)compresser with a gauge/controller mounted under my dash($120).
I can fill and empty from the cab by pressing buttons. I also have lines run to the bumper, so it can be filled if the compressor breaks.

I ordered the parts from summit racing. I called them to get the exact model for my truck. It took me about 3 hrs to install.

I went to a RV store prior to buying and installing the kit. They quoted me over 800 bucks for the firestone kit installed.

(Message edited by bobbym on February 27, 2007)
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-27-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
What you can do is buy a shackle kit, replace the rear hanger with it. I kept 3 holes,top one for pulling, second will keep my truck level,third one drops it. The third one is what I call track mode.I sometimes take it to the strip.You can even use a reciever pin instead of bolt to adjust quick.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-27-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
Thanks bobby m. Im gonna give summit a call and i think im gonna purchase something similar to what you have here in a month or so, should be great!
Old     (mattkrull)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-27-2007, 10:48 PM Reply   
I took my tow vehicle to a shop and had extra leafs added to the rear springs. The rear doesn't sag under tow, and the ride without load was unchanged. I think it cost $200-300.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-02-2007, 9:58 PM Reply   
Air-lift inflatable rear bags.