Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-23-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
What is the "cutoff" of inverted-ness on the two tricks?
Which does this look like
Upload
Old     (wake2blake)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-23-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
scarecrow
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-23-2008, 7:57 PM Reply   
I'd say scarecrow too
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-23-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
its pretty much the same trick. i'm not too much of a hairsplitter. if the ole is on axis its definitely ole. if the ole is off axis i generally call it a scarecrow. but thats just me
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-23-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
I wouldnt split hairs either, they should just call both tricks a rodeo 5. However his handle position would dictate his "ole-ness". If his arm is properly located (like a whirly) its definitely in control and an ole. If its behind his head its not in control and a crow.
Old     (dustin140)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-23-2008, 9:02 PM Reply   
i'd say scarecrow
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-23-2008, 9:27 PM Reply   
Too me, Lyman and Watson do ole spins where the arm really loops around their heads. Where as Tino and a LOT of other riders doing mobes where the spin is a lot more like a whirly where the body and arm rotate around the line. Thats where I find a difference.
Yours looks more like a mobe to me, at least compared to other riders. The fact that Lyman and Watson loop their arms around their heads with the board under their heads but still off axis is what sets them apart in my mind. Love 'em.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-23-2008, 11:04 PM Reply   
the cut off is whether the board goes clearly over your head or not. Even in the ole5 is off axis, if the board doesnt rise past head level its still ole. This pic the board is over head level making it a legit crow.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-23-2008, 11:29 PM Reply   
I tend to agree with Paul's perspective. It's almost more about what you do with your hands than where the board is. Lyman & Watson go into a regular out the back 5 and then whirly style loop the rope around there head.

Here's a video that has Daniel Doud doing em proper.
http://www.grindtv.com/video/wake/Tiki_Shack_Part_III__The_Doud/?athlete=1941
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-24-2008, 6:25 AM Reply   
yea watson, lyman, benny g and doud do them proper. on an ole the board can't go over your head.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-24-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
I'd say it has to do with the handle movement. Also, grabbing it mute right off the wake makes it look more like an ole'. I'd call yours a crole'
Old     (jsuds)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-24-2008, 7:23 AM Reply   
But for an ole i think you really need to sell the rope going over your head to make it look legit, like watson or lyman
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-24-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
Yeah, this is confusing. Any pro tour judges willing to comment on this. How do they decide what trick they just saw?
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-24-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
That is a scarecrow - would not even cross my mind as possibly being an ole 5.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-24-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
I agree with Paul on this one!

I think for it to be an Ole you have to flip to rope over your head more.

I would say you pic is a Scarecrow Boot Grab!

Here are a couple of shots of Colin Ryan he has a MONEY Ole Spin.

Upload
Upload
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-24-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
"Too me, Lyman and Watson do ole spins where the arm really loops around their heads. "

All about the handle. Swooped over the head like a whirly = ole.

Holding the handle in the same position = out the back crow