Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (bigwaken2009)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-13-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
ok so iv been riding about 10 times this year and I really wanna throw a raley but i cant get the guts to do it...let alone know what to expect.is there anything u can do to mentally and physicly prepare yourself lol
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-13-2007, 6:30 PM Reply   
Read this

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3184/408691.html?1174163407
Old     (bigwaken2009)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-13-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
iv have like 40 times lol...i just gotta throw it and not give a Sh*t wat happens
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-13-2007, 9:44 PM Reply   
That trick is all about commitment, if you don't you well get worked. You will anyway but less if you go for it.
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-13-2007, 10:25 PM Reply   
Yea, like I always tell my friends "dont think about it just do it".
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-13-2007, 10:32 PM Reply   
first time i threw a raley it was terrible, cus it was just a regular jump basically. i just cut in like i jus wannted to cross the wake and gave a tiny extension on my raley, like i wasnt like superman, it was like, a half raley, and from there i jus kept givin more and more extention; really gets youre arms stronger for recovering from the raley for landing.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-14-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
A raley is a very easy trick with very few things to worry about.
#1- get over your fear
#2- if you have gotten over your fear, here is how you do it: Take the appropriate edge out, i would say arround 20 feet, and take a hard but controlled edge into the wake emphasizing keeping equal weight on your front foot. If you don't keep your weight equal, you will stargaze and that just looks bad. When you hit the wake, your main concern should be keeping your eyes focused on the tower, this will stop you from going into a giant backroll to severe pain. Once you feel like your legs are out which is pretty immediate, pull your feet down as soon as you can. I think it was detention where shaun said "try to bring the rope down as if you are trying to break a board on your knee." I have never felt that it actually took much strength to bring one down, but if you do, try that. When i was first learning raleys (which took about 5 tries with the right instruction) i litterally came in edging with my eyes fixated on the tower and never took them off until i landed. I dont reccomend this but if it is the only way you can keep your eyes on the tower than try it, the fall wont be any worse than your other attempts, it is just dificult not looking at the wake and getting your pop, lol. One last time, never take your eyes off the tower and you should be fine, and make sure your wake is nice and big because it simplifies things. Raleys IMO are not fun but doing glide variations is my favorite thing on a wakeboard, and chicks dig raleys
Old    murrayair            04-14-2007, 10:50 PM Reply   
"Chicks dig raleys"

Word.
Old     (dooie)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-14-2007, 11:30 PM Reply   
try doing them off a wake skate or even a trampoline would do the trick
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-16-2007, 12:36 AM Reply   
agreed, chicks definetly dig raleys... once you work up enough balls to do your raley, make sure you remember and focus on your progressive edge, because i have seen a lot of people work up way too much adrenaline to do it 'go big or go home' style (which is ok), but they dont cut with a progressive edge and they chop right through the wake and they do fully extended raleys 2 feet above the water... and eat it......but believe me, the feeling you get from landing that for the first time will pay for all the nasty spills you've ever taken.
Old     (tellicolakerider)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-16-2007, 5:16 AM Reply   
yea man, last year i kept doing the giant backroll type of raley cause i couldn't keep concentration at the tower i kept dropping my head and doing the forward flip, but i have practiced it at a gynastics gym on some trampolines into a huge foam pit, where i could jump out over it, throw my legs out and bring them back down, before i even landed into the pit.... good fun as well.
Old    atom_ant            04-16-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
Like you said, balls to the wall. I stuck one on my first try after watching Higher Ed. and landed 2 more after that. I went for the fourth, caught an edge, and don't remember getting back in the boat. I haven't caught an edge (on a raley) since then. Just go for it 100% and you'll stick it.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-16-2007, 5:01 PM Reply   
Make sure your fully extened.... austin when my son landed his first and second they huge, third one caught a edge and we had to fish him out of the water. he didnt remenber a thing.

(Message edited by wakeparent on April 16, 2007)
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-16-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
i would recommend trying it on a tramp first
i wasn't pulling them back in too well then hopped on a tramp tried a few on there and from then on i was able to pull them back under me very easily