Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old    wayknbayk            07-14-2008, 11:48 PM Reply   
Im pretty sure I blew out the drum today as I am able to plug my nose and blow air out my ear! Ive heard about this happening and just wondering if I need to be concerned. It doesnt really hurt but should I go to the doctor? BTW...this may sound kinda weird but the Shasta glass was well worth it.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-15-2008, 12:11 AM Reply   
happened to me last summer.. popped the handle on a my first raley attempt... landed on one side of my face.. i didnt get anything really done with it.. kinda hurts wen i clean my ears w/ a q-tip and i go a hair to deep.. but it doesnt really bother me anymore than that.. hope that helps
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-15-2008, 2:38 AM Reply   
The big risk is an infection, the doctor will give you an antibiotic and instruct you to stay out of the water. If it doesn't heal correctly you will have some long term hearing loss from scar tissue. Many people wake up the next morning with blood and/or fluid draining from their ear.

You really should go to a doctor for the antibiotics.
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-15-2008, 6:02 AM Reply   
I have torn mine several times. And it seems to get worse each time. The last time I did it I had blood and yellow fluid running out. Like George said, you def need to get an antibiotic for it. And then the doc is going to tell you to stay out of the lake for about 3 weeks. I just honed in my driving skills for three weeks. Good luck
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-15-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
I perforated mine at the beginning of the season last year and ever since then every time I go underwater for any period of time my ear fills up with water and it's really annoying
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-15-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
i have had ear trouble since I was a little kid... If I just jump in the water without a good quality ear plug.... my ear drum will bust. I have had reconstructive surgery on it twice. They say I have lost about 25% of hearing out of it. They told me to give up watersports... ha... I just put in a plug and it does the trick. It takes the pressure and not my ear drum.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-15-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
I have one right now... 2nd time i've done it. Make sure to keep the water out of it and take asprin for any pain or whatever. If it gets better in a few days you are okay (IMO). I did mine about a week ago and for the first 4 days or so the area all around my ear and neck was very sensitive and painful. As of today I can tell there is still an issue with the ear but the pain around the area is fine so I'm not worried about infection. As long as it is not infected, i don't think there is anything you can really do but keep it dry.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-15-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
I've done mine three times--now I wear a helmet with ear protection. You can ride now, just wear an ear plug-I used the wax ones with great success. Be sure you are up to date on your tetnus shot and don't try to put any anteseptic or the like in your ear. You'll be just fine in time. Good luck
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-15-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
Just put some swimmers ear in it and you will be fine!

JK don't do that. You should probably get some ABs. to be safe. You don't want an inner ear infection. I am in the same boat as Sean. I blow mine all the time. Its actually a little hole from when I had tubes as a kid. I found Docs Pro Plugs and they work great.
Old    wayknbayk            07-15-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the advise guys! I woke up this morning and it still feels about the same. There was no blood or fluid, but also no pain so thats a relief. I think im gonna stick to driving for awhile and probably go to the doctor for some anitbiotics. Its just so..ANNOYING!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-15-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
Dood I hate that injury. Lucky I have avoided it for a couple of years (knock on wood).

First time took about a week to close up. Second time took almost three. The worst thing is that it kills the quality of music. Music fuels my days, and I couldn't stand to hear it.
Old    wayknbayk            07-15-2008, 10:08 PM Reply   
So is a week about the average time for it to close up? Today was tough having conversations at times...

Jrod, heard from Shon you guys were gonna be up at Shasta next week. The water is super low so be careful of the hidden trees. The glass wasnt hard to find...up the pit arm was MONEY!!
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-16-2008, 6:01 AM Reply   
It might close in a week..... but it will be super weak. You don't even want to get water in it when your taking a shower. My ear is ALWAYS bothering me due to all my problems with it... Take everyones word for it and wait the 3 weeks. After that I would still put a ear plug in just to make sure it's healed good and you dont hurt it again.