Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    mjwakesetter            04-25-2003, 5:56 PM Reply   
Hi, I just need a little advice. Getting a new boat and I have the choice between a 2003 Malibu Wakesetter or a 2002 Sunsetter LXi with the whole Wakesetter package (ballast, tower, etc.) I love wakeboarding but am also quite fond of Slaloming. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-25-2003, 6:19 PM Reply   
I like wakeboarding and think slalom is gay so I went with the VLX.
If I were you, the LXI..no question.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-25-2003, 6:35 PM Reply   
i have the LXi. I will be trading for a VLX (or maybee an X2) as soon as I graduate again and get a new job. Essentially, it takes a LOT of weight to get a nice wake.

the big question is exactly how much do you slalom? if only a little get the VLX. If a lot then you need 2 boats. haha a VLX and a response.
Old    chuk            04-25-2003, 6:49 PM Reply   
We just got our VLX.

We took out a guy who's been waterskiing for 20 years. He said he thought he would never be impressed with the slalom wake behind a V-drive, but he was very impressed with our wake at 30+ mph. Although this is only one opinion regarding the slalom wake, I'd suggest the VLX.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-25-2003, 6:52 PM Reply   
Timmy, You got class! Go VLX
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-25-2003, 8:04 PM Reply   
we have a wakesetter and with no ballast and the wedge up the wake is nice for slaloming
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-26-2003, 12:35 AM Reply   
Keep in mind that the Wakesetter is a direct drive boat just like the Sunsetter LXi. The Wakesetter is probably the best value based on performance and versatility in the Malibu line.

Generalizing, I would say that if you spend more than 50% of your time skiing and you're comparing these two boats, get the LXi. If it's less than 50% get the Wakesetter and you'll be happy.

Hop over to MalibuBoatOwners.com for some direct feedback from owners that have both boats and made the same decision you did.
Old    steveb7            04-30-2003, 6:26 AM Reply   
Not to add to your delima, but another boat to consider is the 21lsv. It is a v-drive, but has a slightly different hull than the vlx so it has a very good slalom wake. Demo each for skiing and boarding that's what we did and I was suprised at how versital the lsv hull is.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-30-2003, 7:17 PM Reply   
I'm pretty convinced the VLX will be my next boat, especially if I can figure out a way to run it through my company
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-30-2003, 9:18 PM Reply   
put your tower on it and call the boat a demo
Old    luv2wake            05-02-2003, 3:54 PM Reply   
100% VLX Come over to the dark side!}}
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-04-2003, 11:12 PM Reply   
My friend has a lxi and it takes a lot of wieght to sink that thing. We run 4 sacs which includes the one the put in the nose for the mls. equals 2000+ pounds total and the wake is still marginal at best. If we have that much wieght plus 5-6 people it is usually ok. I would say the wakesetter if you plan on doing any serios boarding.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-05-2003, 10:12 AM Reply   
LXI has a phenomenal slalom wake for a boat that size-super soft and totally flat. We use my friend's on our course more than my prostar 190. The LXI does need a lot of weight for a big wake and it's very wide. My prostar has a better wakeboard wake, so it's your call. If you want to keep slaloming a lot-go with the lxi.