Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-01-2008, 7:03 AM Reply   
I just started wakeboarding this year, as my fiancée bought me a wakeboard package last Christmas. Previously, I was into slalom skiing, but I LOVE wakeboarding now.

I started with a Hydroslide Black Widow and the Chaser bindings. The bindings were total garbage, and after several repairs and finally tearing them apart, I bought a set of '07 Gator Saints, which I've been pretty happy with.

The board was quite loose, but sucked for getting air. I like a loose board, as I have enjoyed doing surface tricks. Until I upgrade my boat either in '09 or '10, I'm riding behind my 17' I/O, so the wake on it is pretty lame for jumps.

We ended up breaking the Hydroslide board on a fall (me and my best friend are the same size, and share the board/bindings). I wanted a board with more air, so I upgraded to a Hyperlite Imperial 140.

The Imperial gets much better air, but even without the metal fins, tracks way too hard. It also feels heavy on the water, and really wears you out. The landings are smooth, but I'm so used to a loose board, I feel I have less control when I land. First time out with it, I injured my knee when I dug the tip landing it, and it took a couple weeks to get back to about 80% (I'm still not at 100%, and board with a brace now). My buddy hates this board even more, and doesn't even want to ride because of it.

This past weekend, I tried a friend from out of states board when he was in town - a '06 Liquid Force Omega 139. The board felt a bit small for me (I'm 6'3", 210lbs), but I loved how loose it was. Didn't have quite the pop of my Imperial. We were short on time, so I didn't have a chance to put my bindings on that board, and I HATED the bindings his board came with.

Basically, I want a board just like the Omega, but with a bit more pop. I want a loose board. Soft landings would be nice too, since my knees aren't exactly the best.

I looked at all of the board reviews when I bought my Imperial, but obviously I wasn't looking for the right things. I need suggestions!
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-01-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
I've never ridden an Omega so I can't really help you out there but I ride the CWB Marius and (for me atleast) it fits your description.

It has great pop and the softest landings out of any board I've ridden. I ride it without fins and love it. It is loose enough to slide it around on surface tricks but still locks in whenever you cut at the wake. I would definetely recommend taking one out for a demo if possible.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-01-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
They make a larger omega... maybe demo it and see if with the bigger size.. you'll get better pop
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-01-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
Yeah a bigger board can also feel looser as it'll sink under you less. Personally, I like a bigger board (I'm 6.1/180 and ride a 143). If you want maximum flexibility, get a six fin board (like the LF Team) so you can upgrade/downgrade/remove fins to find that perfect combination of loosness and tracking.
Old    sealyon.net            09-01-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
Try the tribute. It's the best board hype has ever made. IMO
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-01-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
I'm huge fan of the 3DS. It feels really squirly when you want it to be, but if you edge it grab and gos. When I was first looking I wanted big air, so I wanted a Parks or something similar. The people at Grizzly talked me out of it and suggested this board. Even when describing it, they said it puts you out in the flats more than up so I really didn't want to try it. But I took their advice. And on multiple occasions I've had people tell me "the 3DS is 'fun' board" I didn't really know what that meant, but I now I agree. Worth a demo for sure!
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-01-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
Also, fins are not your enemy, especially when starting out. Good size fins will help you set the proper angle as you cut into the wake and hold your edge all the way through which is key to good pop. Think of them as training wheels. Start off with bigger fins and develop that foundation.
Old     (brody)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-01-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
Demo a watson and see how you like it, its not real light, but you can size down because it is wider and get more control. It has great pop and soft landings, loose without fins (thats how I ride mine and I love it), and locks in when edging.
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-01-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
I really like my Marius. Nice consistent pop and very soft landings. Rides a little bit looser too.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-01-2008, 6:36 PM Reply   
I would love to demo a board, but that's not realistic around here. We actually live about a minutes walk from the biggest wakeboard water in Central Ohio (if not all of Ohio)...Griggs Resevoir. Everyone has boats I am jealous of, to go along with the multiple 7 figure homes along the water.

But there really isn't anywhere around here to buy a decent wakeboard, let alone demo one. The shops that sell wakeboard boats don't sell wakeboards/wakeboarding accessories (Malibu is the big seller around here...I'd say 80% of the wakeboard boats are Malibus). You'd figure in a big city near a number of water sources wouldn't be that way, but that's the way it is. And where we boat, there are a number of impressive boarders too.

So for me, I just have to go by what people suggest online, and the research I can do.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-01-2008, 8:31 PM Reply   
I have ridden a few and the LF Lyman has been a very easy board for me to ride.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-01-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
I bought the Witness 144 this year and I'm pretty sure it is based off of the Omega and Watson's old board, the Helix. Joe, we weigh pretty much the same and I'm loving this board. I've ridden a bunch of different boards, none has felt this good to me. The Lyman 143 is great too, just faster. I couldn't seem to get the feel for it though.
It's all personal preference and you should try, if you can, a bunch of different boards before you buy.
Old    sealyon.net            09-02-2008, 6:14 AM Reply   
If your unable to demo i think you'll like the 3ds. It's a tight board and very fast. A great board to start out on, also you might want to think about a set of .07 fins later to loosen the board up some.
As for my earlier post..The tribute is a lot like the 3ds with out the face plants, Very forgiving.Good luck on your new board.
Old     (yo123)      Join Date: May 2006       09-02-2008, 6:58 AM Reply   
I got a liquid force team i will see you let me know
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-02-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
nitrousbird - have you checked out Know Wake in Powell? give them a call and see what they'll do for you. also check out grides down in cincinnati. they demo boards.