Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old    butt_slider            03-30-2005, 2:49 PM Reply   
me and my family are thinking of buying a gekko revo 7.1... well we might get a malibu vride instead so which do you htink is better gekko is loaded and way cheaper for some reason. but anyway my dad went to the place that he was gonna buy from and there was the owner and his son who wakeboards behind it and they said the gekko was so wide it put out a bad wake and im just a beginner but still will it make that much of a difference i mean were buying our first actual wakeboard boat and the point is kinda to have a good wake right? i said there is ballast and stuff so which do you htink i should get and does it have a bad wake and like whats wrong with it
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-30-2005, 2:59 PM Reply   
With a wide wake you can always shorten the rope.
Since you are right the wake is the point.
Arrange for a demo of each boat and try the wake out....
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-30-2005, 3:06 PM Reply   
In Boats you usually get what you pay for.

Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-30-2005, 4:24 PM Reply   
The malibu would be a much better way to go. The Vride is an awesome boat for the money.
Old    stillstandin            03-30-2005, 4:42 PM Reply   
I agree, go with the Malibu. Gecko, good water ski boat, not as good wakeboard.
Old    butt_slider            03-30-2005, 5:34 PM Reply   
well thanks for the info so far, i dont think we are gonna get the other one because my brother unfortunately did not enjoy wakeboarding so he skis so how bout like has anyone heard that it has a bad wake and why and is it fixable thanks
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-30-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
I will try again.
Onthis web site no matter waht boat you pick you will hear that it is the best adn the worst you will read that you should only buy the most expensive boats because you get what you pay for. You will also hear that I saved 15k because I did not buy the most expensive....Demo demo demo
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-30-2005, 7:27 PM Reply   
remember, wake depends a lot on how much ballast you include. Don't ride a Vride with 1000lbs of ballast and a wedge, and then compare it to a gecko with 600lbs of ballast. The wakes will not compare. Load both boats with equal ballast and take pictures of the wake when you demo the boats. Compare the pictures. My guess is the Vride would be a better boat. Gecko just doesn't promote wakeboarding like malibu and you know the Vride is a well trusted boat.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-30-2005, 7:31 PM Reply   
The Gekko wake is a good size and shape, but it is wide becuase the boat is wider than the BU. As it has been said, demo it. For beginners, ride a 55 feet. For advanced riders, 75 to 80 feet. You need about an extra 500 lbs above factory ballast in the rear to get to the best wake shape. Again, due the the beam of the boat. It is one of the few skiable V-drives on the market. Gekko is doing what BU did a few years ago, buying market share by keeping a low price. Now BUs are just as expensive as CC or MC.
Old     (hyrific)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-31-2005, 4:44 AM Reply   
That gekko is a larger boat like karl is saying. I think he has pretty much nailed it as far as the wakes go. Also imo the gekko looks like its put together pretty well. I like them. They offer a whole array of engines come may and the boat has great storage and well put togeter inside as far as stereo placement and seating configuration. I think just as good as malibu. Bolth have swivel driver seats. and wrap around seating and what not. anyway that is my 2 cents.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-31-2005, 9:44 AM Reply   
I think Leo is on the money about demoing the boats, but I think pictures are not real useful. Some wakes have a different feel to them that pictures simply don't do justice to define. You need to ride on them to see what you like, unless of course your primary objective is a wake that 'looks good'.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-31-2005, 1:44 PM Reply   
True, my wake looks pretty decent with tons of ballast in pictures (malibu response LX) but doesn't come close to a Super Air with stock ballast. The shape of the wake just kills my wake even though mine is bigger.
Old    butt_slider            03-31-2005, 3:26 PM Reply   
besides karl does anyone else have any suggestions on where to put balast in the gekko and if anyone has pictures of either of the boats wakes feel free to put em up. thanks again
Old    bvaughn97            03-31-2005, 8:34 PM Reply   
I have a Gekko 6.7, and I love it. It has tons of room for friends & family and lots of storage. It rides very nice, especially in rough water compared to other boats I have ridden in. I am a beginner, like yourself, and the wake is more than adequate for my skill level and the skill level of my family and friends. If I pulled someone that was advanced and was use to riding behind an X-star or LSV, then they could probably tell a difference...but, as a beginner, you won't be disappointed.

If you or your family is used to riding behind an I/O, then you will be able to tell a huge difference and the wake will look big and feel great, at least my bro-in-law says so who usually rides behind an I/O.
Old    butt_slider            04-01-2005, 2:42 PM Reply   
sounds good you right brandon right now we have a four winns big wake terrible shape its just a big boat super deep
Old    butt_slider            04-02-2005, 7:15 PM Reply   
can you tell me all the bad things about each of them please thanks
Old    bvaughn97            04-02-2005, 8:35 PM Reply   
Let me think about any bad things I've experienced: I've had an electrical problem with my speedometer and Faria pilot gauge shutting down at random times, and the power steering shutting down at the same time - it is some sort of short somewhere, and it is getting fixed while my stump damage is getting fixed. The only other bad things I can think of is a couple of screws pulling loose from the wood on movable panels (ski locker door and engine cover).

Other than those two minor things, I can't think of anything else that has gone bad with my Gekko so far.