Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-03-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
hey guys...first of all let me say this is a grea sitr and im looking forward getting sme help frm you guys. My name is Marc Hakssa and im 15 and i live in miami florida....o yea just to let you guys know im posting frm my fone so sorry for the crappy posts...anyways im sure u guysget alot of the same question.....which is....what board should i get?? unfortunately im one of those people so help me decideon a board right for me....i am a beginner but i learn things fast. i am 5 feet 5 inches and wiegh roughly 115. so let me know wha boards u recommend.

thanks in advance
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-03-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
a board in the lower 130's in length,
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-03-2007, 3:24 PM Reply   
Get a "Pro" or "Advanced" board, because that board will be ready for whatever you want to learn. Being 115 lbs...i'd go something between 130 and 136 as far as lengthwise goes. As far as boards go...theres so many to choose from. Here are a few of popular boards from a few different companies. Anybody reading this, feel free to add cuz i'm going off the top of my dome here lol. You can find all of these boards up in this sites Board Guide. They'll give you sizes and other info. Hope this helps a lil.

Hyperlite: Premier (The board i ride), 3DS/Pulse (Named Pulse in the 08' lineup), Murray's boards
Liquid Force: Shane, Watson, Substance
CWB: Absolute, Transcend
O'Brien; Cartel, Natural...probably a few others in there...
Ronix: One
Slingshot's Boards are pretty interesting with their flex technology. Alot of people have been checkin those out.
Gator Boards: Legend, Randall's boards.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-03-2007, 3:30 PM Reply   
hey little buddy you should get over to miami ski nautiques and talk with someone in there. you'll be able to see and talk with someone about the boards, try on bindings etc.

whenever i'm about to venture into something new (that i know nothing about) i usually do that myself. but i'll go to multiple places and try and talk to as many ppl as possible. maybe that's what you're doing by asking that question on here. good luck
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-03-2007, 3:52 PM Reply   
thanks for the quick responses guys...so 130-136cm is wa i should look for eh?? as for bindings are the sizes like shoes?? yes...i am tha much of a noob lol
Old     (liquidforce567)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-03-2007, 4:02 PM Reply   
bindings are basically what you feel comfortable. The width of your foot matters a lot, and what feels best. But judging by your age id say you might be like a 10-11. I'd reccomend going to a local shop and checking out there stuff, they will be happy to let you try stuff on
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-03-2007, 5:01 PM Reply   
im actually about a 9 but thats besides the point....if i get the board and bindigns seperate...how do i put em togethor? shop? or is it something i am able to do?? and after the board and bindings is that al i need?
Old     (tpj)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-03-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
liquid force also has the ps3
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-03-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
Required Gear for Wakeboarding (minus the boat and such)

1. Wakeboard
2. Wakeboard Bindings [bindings can be bought separately, but board and boot packages generally cost less. You can even put a different company's bindings on another company's board, so don't feel like you have to have the same co. of board and binding..... however, sometimes the screw lengths of the screws to attach the boots to the board need to be shortened at times]
3. Rope and Handle (Buy a non stretch rope made from "spectra" or another non-stretch material)(ropes/lines can be bought separately from the handle or in a package)
4. Life Jacket
5. Swim trunks (of course)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-03-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
Also when trying on BINDINGS, jump up and down and move your foot arround inside each of them in the store... give them a good testing for comfort and footbed support/ cooshioning
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-03-2007, 6:55 PM Reply   
wow thanks for all the help guys. i have all the equipment you guys listed. except for the board and bindings...yet. one more thingi forgot to mention...the boat im going to be pulled by is a rinker captiva 262 so its not reallly made for watersport..but it has a lil hook were u can tie the rpe to at the end of the platform....so my queston is to i need to have the rope tied to a high place to get more air?? or is it fine to have the rope tied to the platform of the boat??
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-03-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
having the rope up high is not NECISSARY to ride, but it HELPS a TON if you have a tower or pylon. Yes you can get more air with the rope higher.

I learned on an old 1970-something glasstron outdrive boat and managed to get 5-6 feet tops air... but not often that high...
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-03-2007, 7:13 PM Reply   
after talking with my dad a bit more i remembred the arch on our boat. it has a hook we can tie the rope too.......but my friend has a boat without any hooks whatsoever. what do they sell so we can tie the rope too??
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-03-2007, 7:56 PM Reply   
Marc, you can order towers, but they can get kind of expensive. I would recomend a Monster tower (that's what we put on our boat, and we love it). I believe it was about $1000. For a cheaper method you can buy a pylon, not sure of the price on those. Since your just beginning though, it's not that necessary to have one until you get your basics down. Hope this helps. Have fun out there.
Old     (deltarat)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-03-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
for a cheap hook to put on your friends boat go to www.westmarine.com and search for ski tow. if you can go to a board shop and demo some boards . if they don't have demo boards they can give you good advice on the right board to get. you should a continuos rocker board they are the best for beginners.
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-04-2007, 3:32 AM Reply   
thanks again for the recommendations for my friends boat...but the arch on my dads boat should be fine for some major air later on coreect??
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-04-2007, 3:39 AM Reply   
thanks again for the recommendations for my friends boat...but the arch on my dads boat should be fine for some major air later on coreect??
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-04-2007, 5:07 AM Reply   
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       12-04-2007, 5:11 AM Reply   
Telling him to get an advanced or pro model board is about the worst advice I have heard in a long time.
Old     (goofyboy)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-04-2007, 6:00 AM Reply   
also, look at last years models. a lot of them will be the same as the 2008 models, but with different graphics, but a whole lot cheaper.
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-04-2007, 6:18 AM Reply   
well what about the arch thing?? its fine right? and better to use the arch than the platform right??
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-04-2007, 7:19 AM Reply   
Marc, a couple of things:
1. I know you keep using the word 'tie' when referring to putting the rope on your boat. I have not seen a rope that doesn't have a loop, meaning that you don't actually 'tie' it on, but more 'loop' in on securely. You probably know this, just didn't want you to tie a knot that became impossible to get off.

2. With reference to the 'arch', I'm not sure what that is. I looked up the Captiva 262 and got these pictures.
Upload

Upload

If it's like the boat on the top, do NOT hook the rope to the arch, as that is not meant as a support structure.

If it's like the bottom boat, hook away my friend, for you have a tower.

If none of these options explain the 'arch', we need a picture to help you any more. Best of luck getting started, you'll be hooked once you get on the water.
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-04-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
thanks. yes its the one on the bottom the bowrider has the arch the cuddy doesnt. thank godi have the bowrider llol...thanks once again you guys have been amazingly helpful
Old     (papa_d)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-10-2007, 6:28 PM Reply   
i would start with a used board and bindings, because you will want to play around with them till u get one u like and works good for u,just too many used ones out there to start with a new one. 130 no more than 136 Papa D
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-15-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
Im about 130 pounds and i ride a 133 liquid force PS3. I love it, check that oe out.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       12-15-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
Check out the 08 CWB Jr. Faction 132cm board with Faction Bindings, it would be a great setup for you to start on.
You can find this setup at most shops for 399.99
You can also get the Faction Jr 132cm. with Torq bindings for 329.99 at most shops.
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-16-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
hey guys sorry for bringing my thread back from the dead. but im about to buy a wakeboard online. a hyperlite state with foundation bindings. but i dont kno if its a good board for me. should i get the 130 or 135?? and wat size bindngs?? well they call the bindings boots....so....wat size boot? there is choice from mini standard and x large.

here is the site

www.wake-space.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=83370254
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-16-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
I think that board will be a good board to learn on. Here are the recommended weights for each board size (for the state). It looks like the 130 would work for your weight and give you a little room to gain weight as you grow.

Board Size Weight
125 up to 130 lbs.
130 up to 155 lbs.
135 145 lbs. and up
140 160 lbs. and up
145 165 lbs. and up

Boot size for foundation boots.

Binding Size U.S. Men's Shoe Size
Mini 3 - 7
Standard 6 - 11.5
XL 10 - 15.5
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-16-2007, 4:34 PM Reply   
wow thaks for all that info. i guess ill get the 120 with standard boot sincei am size 9 in shoes. but is that site trustworthy? anyone have anymore feedback on the site and the board??
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-16-2007, 4:42 PM Reply   
sorry i meant to put 130 rather than 120. also since its a package...will the bindings already be screwed onto the board when i recieve it through fedex? or do i have to take it to a store to get it done?
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-16-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
you can screw in your own bindings bro.
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-16-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
thanks but...doesnt answer my first part of my question.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-16-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
No clue about that site.

I deal with wakeside.com and buywake.com.

I'm sure everyone has a place, but I know these two are very good.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-16-2007, 5:57 PM Reply   
whether or not the boots come pre-attached or not (most likely will NOT be pre-attached) you can screw and unscrew them yourself. No need to take it to a store. it will have either thumb screws or another screw that will require a screwdriver or even a penny.

Attach the bindings at about shoulder-width apart and "ducked"--> meaning that the bindings will be angled so that the toes are facing away from the toes of the other foot.
BASICALLY, attach the boots so that the stance width and angle will best match your stance upon landing from a jump off a table.

for the most natural and safest stance make sure your knees bend over/ in the same direction as your toes
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-16-2007, 6:54 PM Reply   
ok thanks. ill be buying the board tommorow night from the site i posted before
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-17-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
so anyone have anything else to add??
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-18-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
don't think so bro... if you come up with other questions feel free to jump back on with a new thread for the question(s)

I remember you said you had all the gear except the board, BUT if your rope is NOT a no-stretch rope (just a plain ski rope) then you NEED to replace it. Having a good rope is one of the cheapest and simplest ways to improve your ride. Make sure you have a Rope and Handle made from "spectra" or another non-stretch material (ropes/lines can be bought separately from the handle or in a package with the handle and rope together.

speaking of rope. you might be wondering about rope length. Match the rope length with a comfortable riding speed (around 20mph probably) that puts you closest to the part of the wake just before it starts to collapse/ roll-over/ bubble/ whitewash/ or whatever other word describes this best to you.
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-26-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
my board and bindings just got delivered today. i just dont know where to put the bindings...anyone got a detailed description of where to put the bindings??

p.s i cant put on the bindings its too tight. is it because its dry? when wet it just slips in??
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-26-2007, 8:23 AM Reply   
What I do is put on my bindings and just stand on my board and position my feet to whatever feels comfy and then I just mark it and after you ride a few times and tweak you're bindings a little you'll eventually get them to where you want them . . . As for the bindings being too tight most bindings need to be broken in and also need some binding lube to get your feet in and out of them . . . What bindings did you get ?
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-26-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
hyperlite foundation. im judt going t use oill and stretchh them out a bit. until i get the lube. thanks
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-26-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
oil ? What kind of oil ?