Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-02-2007, 4:33 AM Reply   
Curious.....I waxed my little RC fiberglass boat. It made it faster. These boards are glass. Has anyone ever waxed down their wakeboard? If so, was there any change from the doing so? Surfers wax their boards. HMMMMM! What do ya think?
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-02-2007, 5:17 AM Reply   
Please, don't do it.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-02-2007, 6:02 AM Reply   
Don't surfers wax their boards on the top so they have grip for their feet?
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-02-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
thats right surfers do it for traction on the top of their boards. but nicely done with a boat waxed bottom of the wakeboard, buffed to a shine. That would not improve performance? I am not planning on doing it. just had the thought of tinkering with physics and enhancing performance. Wouldn't work...but why?
Old     (the_dunit)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-02-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
This might be a dumb question, but if you want your board to go faster, why don't you just speed up the boat?
Old     (xesstar)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-02-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
Matt and Scott thanks for making me laugh!
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-02-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
you wax the top of a surfboard for traction. You wax the bottom of a surfboard and get called a "kook".
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-02-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
If you don't wear a rash guard and have a really hairy chest, make sure to put extra wax on the top.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-02-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
Yeah! Wax it up. Then wear a bright pink wetsuit.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-02-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
Wax yer carrot!!
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-02-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
I wax the top of my snowboard on powder days to keep the snow from sticking to it and building up, works pretty well. And we used to wax the tops of our wakeboards back in the mid 90's because there were no productions wakeskates, and the flight 69 did great with a little sex wax
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-02-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
ive used boat wax on my wakeboard before... i wouldnt say that there is any noticable difference... although.. i would suggest it to anyone who rides alot of sliders... the wax wont help you ride sliders, but it will take off the streaks of pvc stuff that the sliders leave on the bottom of your board.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-02-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
Now you guys are making me laugh. What have I started? I guess that is what I get for being a smart @$$! I like the idea of speeding up the boat Matthew...very funny stuff. But hey....same token...waxing your board could save on gas for the boat and making tree huggers happy. But good idea Curt, waxing probably does help protect your board on sliders. See guys....some of this silly stuff does produce good info and good results. YOU GOT A PINK WETSUIT ANDY? Whoa dude!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-02-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
Yes I do!

Upload
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-02-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
I've waxed the bottom of my board when there were some particularly sticky sliders at the cable park. It worked very well. But I wouldn't recommend that someone do this when first starting out. People have a tendency to already lean back against the tension hoping to avoid a faceplant.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-02-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
When you ride like Andy, you can get away with pink.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-02-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
Thanks J-Rod!
Old     (wsrwilliams)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-02-2007, 5:31 PM Reply   
"This might be a dumb question, but if you want your board to go faster, why don't you just speed up the boat?"
Wouldn't that take away from the idea of having a faster board or a slower board(usually with more rocker). I'm not too sure about waxing the bottom of your board but I have heard that drag boat racers wax the hull of thier boats for less drag. I don't see why it wouldn't work but at wakeboard speeds it probably wouldn't be very noticable.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-03-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
When I got my board on the paper with the list of warnings and cautions it said not to put wax on the board, it didn't say why it just said not to do it.