Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 01, 2004

Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-19-2004, 6:18 PM Reply   
I have been wrestling with this since I first heard the news yesterday morning. Wasn't sure if I should post or not. But from other similar posts I have followed in the past, I believe something good could come from it. But I figured at the least, I should wait a day or so.

Well anyway, my long time best friend called me yesterday regarding his very close friend Dane Olsen that he met while attending college in Arizona and both have since moved to San Diego. Well Dane was out Wake Skating on Carlsbad Lagoon, I believe on Tuesday in his buddy's SAN. They were the only boat out, with perfect conditions and just killing it.

Dane took a fall on the Wake Skate and broke his Femur very high up on his leg. He was taken to Scripps and had surgery, I believe on Wednesday. That night he was in a lot of pain. Well the following morning Dane past away from what doctors think was a blood clot that traveled to his heart. I am still numb thinking about it.

I did not know Dane real well. I had hung out with him a few times with my buddy and he had been out on my boat once. But I felt like I knew him just from the stories my buddy would tell me of their adventures. I do know that he is going to be missed by his parents, siblings, girlfriend, and his many many friends.

Well I won't go on any further now, I tried to relay this story as best I could. But I received the details second hand, and I did not want to press for any more of them. I am going to e-mail this link to my buddy and suggest he open it up to all of Dane's many friends. Might be a nice way to post a memory or two they have of him, for those closest to Dane to remember and celebrate him by. To all of them, please except my condolences.
Old    buttacup            03-19-2004, 6:29 PM Reply   
My thoughts go to you, your friend and Dane's family.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-19-2004, 6:33 PM Reply   
My prayers are with him, his family and friends.

This isn't the first time I've heard of a wakeskater breaking a femur. It really is too bad.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-19-2004, 7:45 PM Reply   
R.I.P.Dane,we'll spill one when we hit the lake again.......
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-19-2004, 7:48 PM Reply   
Ahhh this is horrible. My only guess is he did it on a wake to wake trick? I've heard of this happening and I get nervous about it every time I wakestake.

Sorry to hear this.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-19-2004, 7:53 PM Reply   
Hey, My thoughts are out to you!! Indiana sends you prayers!!! I spill one on my first ride of the summer for ya!
RIP
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-19-2004, 8:16 PM Reply   
What a tragedy. It's also a reminder how important it is to know first aid and CPR and what to do in an emergency since it could save someone's life. It is amazing how quickly a great day on the water can take such a drastic turn.
Old    walt            03-19-2004, 8:26 PM Reply   
Are Prayers are with you and yours Dane.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-19-2004, 8:48 PM Reply   
this is sooo sad. best of luck to the family.
Old    wakelvr            03-19-2004, 9:50 PM Reply   
Our prayers are with Dane, his family and friends. Our hearts go out to you... this is very tragic.
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-19-2004, 9:58 PM Reply   
I'm sorry to hear this. My condolences.
Old     (fmtpo)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-19-2004, 11:39 PM Reply   
holy isht that sucks! this last xmas my mom went to the hospital for blood clots, they went through her heart and into her lungs. doc said she was very very lucky.
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-19-2004, 11:46 PM Reply   
God bless you and the family of Dane, that is too tragic for words
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       03-20-2004, 12:19 AM Reply   
R.I.P. Dane from Oklahoma
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-20-2004, 5:38 AM Reply   
that really sucks i feel for his friends and family as well as the wakeboard world losing another member..

RIP Dane...
Old    xtremebordgurl            03-20-2004, 9:11 AM Reply   
God Bless and R.I.P., my thoughts are with you and your family Dane I'll be thinking of you next time I hit the water.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-20-2004, 9:34 AM Reply   
The scary thing is that blood clots are totally possible when going under for surgery...that's why you have to wear those tight, elastic leggings. It can even happen while you're on an airplane, so if you're taking a long flight, don't be afraid to get up and walk around.

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of another rider...my thoughts are with his friends and family.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-20-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
Bill, no it's a different person. I don't think Dane Olsen frequented wakeworld, though I remember telling him about wakeworld.

(Message edited by rock_n_boardin on March 20, 2004)
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-20-2004, 12:06 PM Reply   
damn, i really dont even know what to say other than to give my condolences. although people dont think the falls are bad in wakeskating, when you fall bad, you fall really bad and this is a common case. be strong guys
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-20-2004, 12:15 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear about this Jonathan, it's always sad to hear about a loss like this in the towsport community.

I'm having a hard time understanding how an injury like this could happen (wakeskating / femur) Do you have any more details about how the injury happened? It might be beneficial to all the riders out there to know about this (potential risks, precautions).
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-20-2004, 12:31 PM Reply   
Prayers go out to Dane and his family. At least he went out doing what he loved.
Old    norcal_99            03-20-2004, 12:34 PM Reply   
Very sorry to hear about this. My thoughts are with him, his family and friends.

On the matter of Femur injuries; A friend of a friend of mine also broke his femur wakeskating a few years back. I didn't know him personally, but he says he'll never wakeskate again, and I heard he's selling his Malibu now because he hasn't used it in a few years.
Old    stereor102            03-20-2004, 1:42 PM Reply   
so did he live in cali or still in arizona.
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-20-2004, 2:21 PM Reply   
My thoughts and prayers go out to Dane's family...
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-20-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
tragic accident.... my prayers and thoughts go out to him, friends and family...
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-20-2004, 4:44 PM Reply   
My Thoughts and Prayers go out to your family.
Dane-you will always be remembered!
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-20-2004, 4:55 PM Reply   
one leg on the skate and one leg off the skate on a wake to wake jump is all it takes to break a femur. So sorry to hear about the loss.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-20-2004, 4:57 PM Reply   
I've heard of quite a few dislocated hips and a few broken femurs while wakeskating. Man, what a tragic event. My prayers go out to Dane and his family.
Old     (purana182)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-20-2004, 6:17 PM Reply   
Does anyone know if this is the Dane that attended USDHS, University of San Diego High School? I would really like to know.
Old    mandi            03-20-2004, 6:55 PM Reply   
God Bless you Dan. Prayers to your family. Oklahoma
Old    mxrcr885            03-20-2004, 8:50 PM Reply   
omg i cant believe what happened. best wishes to the family and friends of Dane
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-21-2004, 4:53 AM Reply   
That's horrible. RIP Dane.

Old    deltahoosier            03-22-2004, 9:20 AM Reply   
My prayers go out to the family... Be safe everyone and don't forget to give the special people in your life a hug.
Old    nshon            03-22-2004, 9:36 AM Reply   
Condolences to Dan and his family. Real tragic.

Broken femurs can be life threatening. Hope the link helps.

http://www.cathedral.org/wrs/quilla/femur.htm
Old    jetgofish            03-22-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
My thought and prayers go out to the family and friends.
Old    cws_kahuna            03-22-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
I am sorry to hear about such a tragic accident. My prayers are with Dane and his friends & family.

Please be careful everyone.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-22-2004, 12:07 PM Reply   
damn, there's not much you can say. nobody expects to die from what we are doing but we are taking risks nonetheless. tragic is all i can think.

i broke my femur in 2001 on a badly landed wake to wake jump on a wakeskate. like mike hillard said, 1 foot on and 1 foot off. mine broke really high near the hip, i spent a week in the hospital and 4 months on crutches. hasn't felt the same since.

i still wakeskate but stay on the surface. nothing behind the boat is without risk.
Old    jakeman            03-22-2004, 12:08 PM Reply   
I am sorry to hear about this
Dane -I will miss talking to you on here
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-22-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
What a terrible thing to happen. My prayers are with his family and with all who love and miss him.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-22-2004, 12:53 PM Reply   
Wow. I can't tell you how sad this makes me feel.

I feel like I lost brother. Rest in peace brother!

As an aside...

Why does this happen wakeskating?
Old    nate_dogg            03-22-2004, 1:42 PM Reply   
I just logged on and read your message Jonathan (tastefully done my friend). I went to Dane's wake (strange how appropriate the term is) yesterday and was so impressed with his quality of friends and family! His parents are true heroes and the most gracious people I've me in a very long time!! Dane was one of those rare people who you never forget and you're always well aware that he's in the house! Hey was great! Hence the name "Great Dane" I hope everyone can learn a valuable lesson from his tradegy and somehow manage to keep his incredible spirit alive. RIP Dane! You're are missed so much...
Old    nate_dogg            03-22-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
I just logged on and read your message Jonathan (tastefully done my friend). I went to Dane's wake (strange how appropriate the term is) yesterday and I was so impressed with his quality of friends and family! His parents are true heroes and the most gracious people I've me in a very long time!! Dane was one of those rare people who you never forget and you're always well aware that he's in the house! Hey was great! Hence the name "Great Dane" I hope everyone can learn a valuable lesson from his tradegy and somehow manage to keep his incredible spirit alive. RIP Dane! You're are missed so much...
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-22-2004, 2:05 PM Reply   
Geoff, he grew up in Arizona and went to SDSU. So it's a different Dane. I am gathering information for an update, when I get it all I will post ASAP. Everybody, thanks again for all the kind thoughts!!
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-22-2004, 6:34 PM Reply   
Sorry to have to hear about this, losing someone is very tough and hard to understand. My thoughts go out to everyone that knew him.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-22-2004, 10:39 PM Reply   
What a sad day on the water. My prayers go out to the family.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            03-24-2004, 3:39 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear about the loss - always terrible to lose someone before his/her time.

I always thought that wakeskates were much safer and the risk was pretty much limited to getting hit with the board. Thanks for the warning.

Well written Jonathan and Nathan. Sorry about the loss of your friend.

(Message edited by wakeboard_iraq on March 24, 2004)
Old     (ddoubleu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-24-2004, 5:55 PM Reply   
much love to the friends and famly i will definetly remember his story and keep it alive
Old    prodigy136            03-24-2004, 9:15 PM Reply   
life's too short, go big while you still can. R.I.P. my fellow ripper. to all the friends and family- my condolences go out to you.
Old    brettly            03-25-2004, 11:38 PM Reply   
I am truely sorry for your loss, and I extend my condolences. R.I.P. Dane
Old    to2df150            04-08-2004, 9:02 AM Reply   
REALLY SORRY TO HEQAR THAT. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO DANE'S FAMILY AND FRIENDS. TELL YOUR FRIEND TO KEEP HIS HEAD UP, EVERY THING WILL BE OK. SORRY BRO! R.I.P. DANE
Old    c_dub_bizzle            04-08-2004, 4:19 PM Reply   
I think its really awesome that so many people post about things like this. Prayin for you and Dane's family.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       04-24-2004, 9:38 AM Reply   
It's been a month now. I finally came across this picture of Dane's memorial service. It was held the morning of March 30th at his favorite surfing spot Table Tops just South of Cardiff Reef. As you can see a bunch of his closest friends sent him off in style. Included with the mourners was pro surfer Rob Machado, who heard about what happened to Dane through the grapevine and wanted to pay his respects. Dane would have been blown away, being Rob was his favorite all time surfer. Dane you will be missed.

Old    walt            04-24-2004, 10:56 AM Reply   
Now thats a memorial service !
Old     (michaelvincz)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-24-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
That is definatly an awesome sight to see people come together like that in such rough times. I feel for you all and send out my best wishes to Dane and his family and friends. R.I.P.
Old    calliegirl            04-25-2004, 4:30 PM Reply   
wow... thats an awsome way to remember a great guy... RIP Dane... its such a sad way to loose a person... i almost lost my dad many times from blood clots... its a shame but dane will be remembered... his family and friends are in my prayers ...