Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-20-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
So I finished the winch today (of course I don't have pics yet) and she was way too slow. I think the throttle can be changed a little to increase the RPMs... but its obvious it need some more giddyup. My thoughts are to increase the spool width or get a larger sprocket.

Right now I'm running a 6hp Honda with a Comet 30 series torque converter and a 12x48 tooth sprocket setup. The 12 tooth isn't changing, but I think i could pretty easily replace the large one with like a 72 tooth. Any other ideas are welcomed

For those of you who missed it, here is a link to the build pics:

http://s474.photobucket.com/albums/rr101/lukerdl/Winch%20Build/?albumview=slideshow
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-20-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
This would be an easy direct replacement:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_26107_26107

is 60T enough?
Old     (svt600)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-20-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
mine was too slow aswell when i tryed it last weekend.. mine is set up with a cc with 12t and 60t with a 6.5" spool... you might want to try the 60 before you go to 72 i have talked to some people that said once i get a torq-a-verter ill be golden with the gears i have....
Old     (rob_corum)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-22-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
Can you make you're spool larger in diameter? What size is it now?
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-22-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
I'm going to up the diameter of the spool as well as re-gear. It's probably 4 inches right now but I could easily bump it a few inches with a little fab work.... and the 60T sprocket is only $28 bucks and its a direct replacement so I'd be kinda stupid not to go ahead and buy it.
Old     (rob_corum)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-22-2009, 7:45 PM Reply   
My setup is too fast with not enough torque. It is a 13hp honda with 12/72 8"spool no torque convertor. I need to throw on a convertor though, and It'll be money. It won't deep water start right now and will probably go about 30 mph... no joke. It's pretty off.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-22-2009, 9:49 PM Reply   
Going to a 60T will only make it slower. It will give you more torque but less speed. Take your larger rear sprocket teeth and divide it by the teeth of you small sprocket. I.e. 60/12 = 5 so your gear ratio is 5:1. Max rpm on most lawn mower engines is 3450 so 3450/5 = 690RPM. I don’t know how much you are loosing with you TC I guess that your belt might be slipping.
Old     (ericlassiter)      Join Date: May 2007       04-23-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
luker:

you need to work on your spool. look at some of the more popular winches out there and notice their spools are pretty narrow, and the center diameter is pretty large 8" or so. i'd recommend making your spool about 10-12" wide, 8" ID of the spool and the side walls of the spool would need to be around 14" or so in diameter...depending on how much line you are spooling up.