Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (begarrett)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-06-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
I just bought a 2007 Moomba LSV which has the full stereo package including 4 tower speakers, sub and amps. The system sounds awesome and I dont want to change any of the speakers however it cuts out if I turn the vol up above 20-25. I believe it's the amp's safety switch. If so, what are the best amps to get. If not...any ideas?!
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-06-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
I had the same problem, and it was a loose ground wire that is located under the dash. There is a metal strip under the dash where the ground wire was loose. I'm not sure, bit I think the pounding of the sub would jar it loose. Anyways I tightened it down and problem fixed.
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-06-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
What is the RMS on the amp? Is the amp powering everything or does the HU power the boat speakers ? I put in clarion apx 490M's which run 80W @ 4ohms and 180 @ 2 ohms. They never shut down. One amp does the boat speakers and the others does the tower and sub(sub is bridged 300W x 1)
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-06-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
Is it your cabin or tower speakers?
Old     (begarrett)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-06-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
yeah one amp does the tower and subs and one for the cabin. and when it cuts out it kills the entire stereo system. May be that ground wire thing, I'll check. Doesnt seem like it should be the amp bc I've heard the same system on a Supra, same amps, and you could really crank it up.
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-06-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
is your hu turned all the way up?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-08-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
You need to re-wire the HU and proabbly the amps. skier's choice builds boats nto streo systems. They will wire the HU so ti sees a 2 ohm load ( will go into protect). Mine di dthe same thing. It's a very easy check ( takes 2 min) look at your wiring harmess to your radio.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-09-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
Brian,

Since you have more than one amplifier and the entire system shuts down simultaneously, per your description, this would indicate that the source unit is the component with the highest voltage turn-off threshold. So, look into all the voltage-related issues first before replacing your amplifiers.

Going along with Adam’s comments, prior Moomba stereos not equipped with an amplifier would typically factory wire the rear outputs of the Kenwood source to four Kenwood cockpit coaxials in parallel (two-ohms). The source would clip really early and hard as BTL outputs cannot withstand two-ohms. We routinely rewired these to series. Even at eight-ohms this dramatically improved the sound and actually played louder.

David E.M.