Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (martyslc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-29-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
Does anyone know where I can get a diagram or something on how to take a v-drive out of a 2005 mobvius xlv? The torque converter just blow up on me. I'm thinking I can take the shaft out, then unbolt the bell housing and mounts and it should come right out. Hopefully. I wonder where I can get a new torque converter for it?
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-29-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
You don't have a torque converter on your engine. I would suggest taking it to an indmar certified dealer and have it looked at.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-29-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
The 'torque converter': What are you referring to? The transmission? There's what's called a damper plate between the engine and transmission that does exactly what it sounds like: it dampens the engine so that the prop gets much smoother power.
Old     (martyslc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
Opps, yes I guess I would of really called it a flex plate but typed torque converted. A damper plate oh ok that makes sense. I pulled the starter and I can see the flywheel and the damper plate. The damper plate is pretty coming apart and is grinding on the bell housing.

I'm going to pull the bell housing myself. Looks like the walters drive, tranny and bell housing should come off pretty easy. 5 bolts on the bell housing and the 2 motor mounts and unbolt the shaft. Right?

(Message edited by Martyslc on August 30, 2009)

(Message edited by Martyslc on August 30, 2009)
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-30-2009, 4:48 PM Reply   
Yup. Just put some bottle jacks or scissor jacks under the manifolds to support the engine when you take the tranny off the mounts.

(Message edited by pwningjr on August 30, 2009)
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       08-30-2009, 5:01 PM Reply   
mine went out as well and tis is the best and most straight forward reply that I got.

}loosen motor mount piviot bolts
disconnect exhaust hoses
remove motor covers
remove rear seats and backrests
unbolt anything in the bildge that is in the way of anything below (ballast pumps ect..)
unbolt shaft coupler
unbolt transmission mounts
Connect hoist to rear motor lift bracket (or something else sutible)
disconnect fresh water hoses from v-drive and cooling hoses from transmission
disconnect all electrical connections from trans, and v-drive
use hoist to raise rear of motor until v-drive clears fuel tank
remover starter
remove v-drive and transmission
wala theres your flexplate

INSTALL IS REVERSE, MAKE SURE YOU ALIGN YOUR MOTOR AND SHAFT, NO MATTER WHAT YOU THINK, IT WILL BE OFF AFTER INSTALLATION.
Old     (martyslc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-04-2009, 11:02 AM Reply   
Troy,

Thanks for all the tips guys!!!! I'm ready to pull it tonight or tomorrow morning. Pulled back seats out. Took back section of floor out, unhooked shaft coupler, all hoses etc. I have been trying to figure out the best place to prop up the motor once I tilt the back end up a bit while pulling the unit. I'll look at putting something under the manifolds thanks.

--How do I align the motor and shaft??

--Did you have to use a hoist to get the v-drive/tranny out? How heavy is it?

Thanks,
Marty
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-04-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
marty, here is a instruction sheet for the alignment for the shaft direct from skiers choice.
application/mswordUpload
Shaft Alignment Procedure.doc (33.3 k)
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-04-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
If the tranny is similar in size/weight to the PCM 1.23:1 (which I imagine there can't be that much difference in weight between various marine trannys) then 2 people or 1 really strong person can lift it out.
Old     (martyslc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-04-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
Thanks guys!
Old     (martyslc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-08-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
Does anyone know where I can order the flex plate from? My dealer want tax and shipping to order it in.

The dealer did tell me they've been changed since my year of boat. The one I have is to thin and explodes as mine did. Since it came completely apart but was still bolted to the flywheel it turned in a saw blade and cut through my bell housing.