Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-22-2011, 7:44 AM Reply   
I find it hard to believe that with the amount of people and riders out here we can't get a cable park. Although the plans for a park in SD is dead, we don't need that resort style setting to ride. Im not criticizing the idea, but in my own opinion, it was a liitle much for those who just want to go ride. With that said, how can one go about pitching locations and someone listening? Everyday on my way to and from work I pass those big ponds in tustin, right off the 91, with dudes just fishing. The size of the water way is big enough to handle the riding, its somewhat industrial so you wouldn't have family's complaining about noise and crowds, and it would have to generate more revenue than what they are doing with it now. Just my own .02
Old     (onepoorpilot)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-22-2011, 7:46 AM Reply   
Call any cable owners in the US, Cali cant get a cable because the birds "MAY" die, if they try landing on the cable wire while its moving. Sounds stupid but I was told this by the KCW and REVO owners... Damn activists out there can get ANYTHING stopped if they want to.

Last edited by onepoorpilot; 02-22-2011 at 7:47 AM. Reason: .
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-22-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
So what's the scoop on Santee?

Dave, I live in the same area and also pass those lakes daily. I heard that the owner of the lakes has been pitched the idea by some people in the industry that could really make it happen, but he was not interested. Josh is right, too few lakes & too many environmental regulations. Factor in the cost of land and it will take a miracle to make it happen.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-22-2011, 8:33 AM Reply   
So birds in others states are "cable proof"? I've actually run over a flock of birds and they still build roads. (That's another story to tell over a drink or two). Who do we need to petition to make this happen?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-22-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
Well there are plans for Desert Wake out in the Coachella area and I have heard rumors that a 2.0 system is going up in Temecula.

The thing about those lakes with the fishermen, they are very popular and make $ for the owners. Not likely they will get rid of a long-standing money maker.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-22-2011, 9:25 AM Reply   
Why dont you find some fellow riders and split on a system 2 if you did it right it could work out forsure
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-22-2011, 10:31 AM Reply   
the resort style setting was more about making it "family friendly" than just appealing to the riders. I for one thought that was a great idea. I loved my one time experience at KCW, but I could not see how it would be fun to drag my wife and kids out there for a few hours. the Santee project seemed to have a bit more for the family. much like the desert wake project going on in Mecca, just outside of palm springs. for those of us with a family (and typically those with the additional funds) are the ones that would really be open to the resort style settings, vs just a 2.0 on some random lake with dirt everywhere.

typical cali project though. this is why I am a devoted pessimist. I am not surprised, or entirely let down. I had a feeling it would not happen. oh well. better luck next time, right?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-22-2011, 12:25 PM Reply   
I have heard from people that are really in the know that they would be shocked if California ever got a cable park.. Sucks. I need to move to Texas
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-22-2011, 2:58 PM Reply   
So it looks like la has a better chance of getting a football team than we do of getting a park. What ki d of crap is that.

Train, I was not bashing the resort idea, but they were not building it for the sport, they were purely money driven. Did you see how much they wanted for the "vip memberships". 15k for one tier, Absolutly outrages, you could buy a boat for the price of a membership. My point was just keep it simple, build a base, and expand from there. Most people in this sport and some extra funds considering the cost of everything associated with it.

Obviously every business venture wants to see a return, but I just can't see h we can't make this happen. Kinda fired up as you can tell, and I mean no disrespect to anyone. There has to be a way to pull this off. If I had more extra funds, i'd lead the charge. =).
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-22-2011, 2:59 PM Reply   
Btw, my typo above, they were NOT building it for the sport. Happens when you o ky use your phone for post=)
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-22-2011, 6:09 PM Reply   
I heard they had sold all the "VIP sponsorships" so I dont think money was the issue. My guess is that they were not given the needed permits, but don't know...anyone have the full story?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-22-2011, 9:38 PM Reply   
I am sure some of the VIP memberships were needed for some extra funding. my guess it is a mix of california rules, and lack of funding.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-23-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
Well there are plans for Desert Wake out in the Coachella area and I have heard rumors that a 2.0 system is going up in Temecula.

The thing about those lakes with the fishermen, they are very popular and make $ for the owners. Not likely they will get rid of a long-standing money maker.

I am super stoked on Desert Wake. My In-Laws live in Palm Desert so we are out there like 4 times a year. So perfect to have a Park 20 minutes away from there crib. I am heading out there tomorrow, bringing the Wakestick with me. Going to spend a few days out at Desert Wake riding the boat (hopefully) and a few days in Canyon.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-23-2011, 7:37 AM Reply   
I heard it would be more lucrative to build a parking lot in California then it would a cable park.

I just don't understand Cali at all. Cables are the epitome of enviornment friendliness
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-23-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
its not the cables they are worried about. it is the lack of water, the "endangered" animals, and the over abundance of lawyers.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-23-2011, 11:05 AM Reply   
can anyone give us a definitive reason for this not happening? I am curious as to why it is not going through.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-23-2011, 12:15 PM Reply   
My guess would be community opposition. From what I heard, and we've all heard a lot, the residents weren't to happy to have their quiet community turn not so quiet. Again, just speculation based off of third party information
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-23-2011, 12:21 PM Reply   
Money is the reason
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-23-2011, 3:25 PM Reply   
Money, risk and getting the bank loan to build it. All BIG hurdles for any project.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-23-2011, 9:13 PM Reply   
It was pretty obvious that the San Diego cable park at Santee was never going to get built. The fact that they didn't break ground the day after they got approval pretty much sealed the deal that some group, either citizens, environmental, animal rights, or whatever would put a stop to it. Too bad they didn't have all of the ducks lined up to make it happen. Regarding Desert Wake: What is the business plan? I may be ignorant, but I just don't see how they have enough local clientele to make a go of it. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Andy- please give us your impressions after your visit. Thanks!

Last edited by deltawake; 02-23-2011 at 9:18 PM.
Old     (joshwrighttexas)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-24-2011, 8:02 AM Reply   
I have worked at cable for almost ten years and I have never seen a bird fly into a cable
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-24-2011, 1:34 PM Reply   
Front Page Tweet:
"I'm very sad to report that the San Diego Cable Park project, which was to be located in Santee, is dead." Dave Williams.

Any official news, comments or more details on this Dave? I've been suspecting this for sometime.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-24-2011, 6:24 PM Reply   
I just got off the phone with the developer. According to him, there were two main reasons. First is the fact that some agency that hadn't been communicating with them at all for several years sprung a last minute requirement on them to perform a one-year $200,000 test of the reclaimed water to verify that it's safe to use for this purpose. Second is the economy/financing. The developer's real estate holdings have taken a major hit over the last couple of years, so financing it himself was out the window. Several times they thought they had somebody to do the financing, but it would always fall through. He said it's just really hard to find that much financing these days.

On top of it all, the water board members changed and they no longer wanted the cable park. Several were elected on the fact that they would put a stop to it. Even though they voted for it once, I guess there were ways that they could put up roadblocks to getting the whole thing done. He said the major lesson he learned was to do it on his own piece of land and not to count on government agencies that can change their mind every time an election rolls around.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-30-2011, 4:35 PM Reply   
Now publicly official: DEAD.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ee-lakes-dead/
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-31-2011, 5:57 AM Reply   
This is why I sold my motocross track in California and moved to Texas, I got sick of dealing with all the Riverside County BS!!

We just built WakeSport Ranch in Cresson Texas last year, pretty easy to deal with the city of Cresson, but the cost of building a cable even in Texas was big$$$$$.
We lost some of our funding as well, tuff times, but we are still going and will always work hard and keep on keeping on. People dont realize the amount of money and time it takes to build a cable park. It is a ton of work and a ton of headaches , but we love this sport and it is worth all the effort to us.

Desert Wake is going to be a sick place to shred though, so be stoked to have Desert Wake willing to put the time and money into a place for you Cali guys to ride.