Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-21-2008, 5:34 AM Reply   
About a month back someone posted about injuries and I didn't even post 'cause I figured mine was minor compared to some of the blown knees and battered bones. I had got turned backwards on a hs wake jump and when I landed the board slipped out from under me. As I was sliding on to my face the left toe side edge dug in and yanked my foot up hard. Picture under rotating a tantrum. So I spend the past five weeks limping and just thinking of all the stuff I want to try as soon as I can ride and jump again. Was able to ride over the fourth just not jump.
Finaly this weekend my foot's feelin' pretty strong so I'm pumped I getta' go for some air again. Get my first wake jump in with no pain so now I'm really pumped. Very next jump I charge the wake hard and let my board get out from under me and get turned coming in. Picture the under rotated tantrum all over again. This time I hit hard enough to give my self a blacke eye and the injury happens on the impact of the jump not as I was sliding out on the crash. This time it's also my right foot instead of my left only way worse. When it was my left foot I was able to walk on it just slow and with a limp. With my right one it's swollen up bad and I can't put any weight on it at all even two days later. Getting ready to go to the doctor and have it looked at but I already know I'm at least going to miss a day or twos work. Longer if I have to have crutches.
As much as I love to board I think I'm gonna' have to just stick to slidin' around and doin' primarily surface spins and slides, ollies and small stuff off the wake. Luckily I just got into surfin' too so I've still got that. Just starting to wonder if the risk is worth the reward to me.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-21-2008, 5:39 AM Reply   
how are your fundamentals? maybe work on perfecting them first before charging the wake?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-21-2008, 5:40 AM Reply   
btw, sorry to hear of your injuries. i know there are injuries that one simply can't avoid, no matter how fundamentally sound they are.

hope you get well soon and get back out on the water.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-21-2008, 5:51 AM Reply   
Thanks Joe. I'm pretty solid. Think part of the problem was just adjusting to the new wake. Went from a bayliner to a VLX. Then again I've been riding it all year till then without hurting myself. First time thought it was just a fluke thing but then to do the same thing to the other foot. Just seems kinda' wierd. I don't think I've even heard of anyone injuring their feet on here before. Usualy an ankle or knee.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-21-2008, 5:58 AM Reply   
It was fundamentals that caused it in the sense that I didn't stay over my board though. Should've just worked my way up like I would have my first set of the season when I'm getting the feel for it again.
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-21-2008, 6:15 AM Reply   
Injuries happen, rehab, recoup, go for it again!!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-21-2008, 7:13 AM Reply   
could be a lis franc sprain, they are brutal, you need physical therapy and get an Mri, it could be the main ligament in the middle of your foot. I've done it twice as well, worst injury.
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-21-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
I agree on the lis franc ligament. I've blown out both knees and just had the lis franc sprain 6 weeks ago and it is still a big PIA. I think it hurt worse than either knee and knee surgery. Hard as hell to edge around toeside or land on a toe edge. If you sprained your first foot and didn't heal all the way it's probably why you sprained the other because you were compensating for the weak foot.

If you need lis franc surgery the rehab is 1 year :-( , worse than ACL.
Heal up and learn fun technical tricks like bs 180s and switch back 180s. you can also do a bunch of one wake 3s while your healing up.

Good luck, it's a pain, literally.

Oh, and don't kill our butter wakesurfing :-)
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-21-2008, 7:41 AM Reply   
Man, I hear ya on injuries. My back is pretty much toast and I felt Friday's set all weekend. Gym, pilates, stretching... rinse repeat. Nothing tears it up like wakeboarding. While fun, I'm happy just driving and being on the water.
Old     (wakex2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-21-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
injuries hurt... and being off the water hurts worse... make sure you're completely better before getting back out there... no sense in keeping an injury for a long time... let it heal a little longer than you feel good enough to get back out there
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-21-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
x3 on the lisfranc injury. The first time I tried a tantrum I came halfway out of my binding and had a lis franc fracture/dislocation. 3 orthopods wanted to do surgery. Like mentioned above, it would have been around 12 weeks on crutches, with a couple surgeries for pins and screws.

I opted to not have the surgery and treatment myself with another therapy and I was back riding in 6 weeks. No residual pain either.

Good luck, don't let a couple spills stop your fun, especially since you got a VLX!
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-21-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
Just got back from the doc. No brakes or fractures. He didn't suggest an MRI. Basicaly told me I'd be sore for about four to six weeks. I don't plan on stopping boarding all together. Just think I'll have to start takin' it a little more easy. I don't mind the pain and soreness from boarding. You gotta' pay to play right? When I start getting injured and missing work though it becomes a problem. Gotta' make that big ace boat payment right?
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-21-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
Hopefully you were seen by an orthopedic surgeon.
If not and your foot still is swollen & painful after 2 wks of non wt bearing and icing - get a 2nd opinion.