Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-14-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
I've been toying wit the idea of possibly getting a pair but I had some questions for those of you who might know. Why is there a dual power rating for the speaker? Horn and woofer I assume? If so does this mean I need to have dual wattage going to each speaker?
Thanks in advance
Upload
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-14-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
I prefer Hydra Shocks.
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-15-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
Why not call Bullet for clarification?

I have the 770's on my tower and they sound great!
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-15-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
The specifications are for each driver and measured before the built in crossover is taken into consideration. The rated power is with a full range signal. Once the proper frequency roll off is factored in the power handling of the HLCD increases with leaps and bounds and the midrange increases slightly as well. The end result is a very even matched system. The HLCD has been built at 8ohms to decrease its insane volume for a well mixed sound with the midrange. This eliminates the typical harshness of most horn systems. With all of these considerations taken you end up with a very smooth sounding combination that has TONS of volume. Midbass from these speakers is insane and clarity is top notch.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-16-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, I contacted bullet but the response was less than adequate
Old     (hessdawg)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-16-2008, 9:23 PM Reply   
first off , these are some of the worst written specs i have ever seen.
"With a pounding 180 watts rms,@4 ohms rating these require plenty of power to come alive but won't leave you disappointed."
did a slow asian boy translate this????
also I don't believe that this 7.7 can go as low as 35hz and have any useable SPL. this is marketing for the masses i guess.
With a combined sensitivity of around 100db these shouldn't take very much power at all to get loud.
"The rated power is with a full range signal"
also wrong. a HDLC can't function with out a crossover. Much-less be driven at full power (80watts) with out blowing up.
"The HLCD has been built at 8ohms to decrease its insane volume for a well mixed sound with the midrange."most horns are built at 8 or 16 ohms. i have yet to find a 4ohm HDLC.
"This eliminates the typical harshness of most horn systems"
There are two types of compression
drivers used in our industry. In most cases, the
less expensive of the two has a phenolic
diaphragm, and the more expensive unit has a
titanium diaphragm. The titanium diaphragm is
much better for reproducing the extreme highs
heard when a drummer crashes his cymbals, but
some of the designs produce excessive
harmonics making them sound harsh.
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-17-2008, 1:36 AM Reply   
Cory- I apologize if your call to Bullet was less then spectacular. Jaime (The owner) has been out of the office the past week to welcome another child into his family and his staff is doing all they can to keep up with demand. My name is Scott and I am the Bullet rep and I would highly recommend taking a listen to the Bullets before passing judgment. Specs aside, these speakers sound great. I know that Ben just ordered another pair for a boat that will be done soon. I know that he would be happy to give you an in boat demo and his shop is only about 30-40 minutes north of Stockton. The other option I can offer is to let you hear my demo at a local stereo store in Stockton. I can arrange something at Warehouse Car Stereo. I would suggest talking to Ben but I will happily give you a demo as well. I have been doing boat installs for the better part of 20 years and although Bullets are not for everybody, the only way you will know if they are for you is to take a listen. PM me if I can help you out. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks
Scott
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-17-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
Scott & bhess, Thank you for the responses. Scott I wasn't passing judgement just seeking info. I would love to take a listen to the speakers sometime as it may influence my decision more. What I meant about my less than adequate response was just that my question wasn't really answered. In my original question I wanted to know if the dual ratings on the speakers would cause a need for dual amps. The people here have pointed out that the crossover will take care of that, correct? The response I received from Jaime sounded more like a sales pitch than a answer to my question.

Cory
The speakers way under rated when it comes to the power rating we use 150 watts rms as a minimum. They will run up to 225 rms and 400 peak all day long.

Thank you

Jaime Campos
Warlocks / Bullet Speakers
Old     (hessdawg)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-17-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
that still makes no sense. with a speaker that is supposed to be 100 db efficient,a true 75 to 100 watts rms should produce and expected SPL of 115-120db @ 3 feet
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
Jamie those are the best looking pro-audio speakers on the market IMO.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-17-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
I have been very happy with them so far...

More pictures to come once the boat is on it's final trailer!

McFly
http://waterskiboatsdallas.blogspot.com
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by McFly on April 17, 2008)
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-17-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
ohhhh marty are you blacking out a boat rob and big style? send me a pic.....
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
Diggs get it right, it's murdered out
Old     (craigw3972)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-17-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
hessdawg... do run the wetsounds speakers?
Mcfly.. those speakers look fantastic, i agree with Nu Bu best looking speakers on the market. How do you like the sound Mcfly? what amp have u got driving them?
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-17-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
Cory- No worries at all man...Please let me know if I can do ANYTHING to help you out. In the mean time, Ben at ACME is doing two boats with 7.7's. One will ship Friday and the other one next week if you would like to take a listen.

Hessdawg- As for the ratings...We are not talking about government approved lab ratings here. As with ALL speakers, the ratings are merely a guide to help the DIY guys buy the correct components. I have heard 4 770's ran with a 600 watt per channel amp and it was AWESOME and I heard a pair of 650's ran off with 100 watts a side that sounded great too. They have a very pleasing balance between the woofer and tweeter that most people prefer to listen to. I am getting the idea that you may work for a shop? If so, let us know and I will have the rep in your area stop by and let you listen to our demo (One 650 and one 770). Specs aside, I think you will like the advantages that the Bullets bring to market (Metal, Chrome, Small Packaging, Better Midbass, Traditional Looks and so on).

Cheers
Scott
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-17-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
That blacked out look is very nice! That'd go great On Digg's boat.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-17-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
I will check the power I have running them tomorrow and let you guys know.

The trailer should be here in the morning..yes, Diggs, you are on the right track..but it is the trailer that makes the package, so I will not post pictures until the boat is on its' proper chariot! (You can see in that 2nd picture that the Z5 is still silver..that has since been changed as well!)

I am very happy with how they sound. I did not like the chrome grills at all, but once the black came available it really completed the package!

McFly
Old     (hessdawg)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-17-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
craig west i don't run wet sounds but they have a nice product as well. they aren't nearly as efficient as these.

Scott I am an installer. Who is your rep firm for central ca.?
I am not Knocking your product, I looks great. I just think If the specs should be as clear as possible for the DIYer to make the right decision.
just out of curiosity what amp was running 600 watts per channel??
marty you boat looks sweet. i love the murdered out look. we need more pics
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-17-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
damn.... i want to see pics...
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-17-2008, 10:19 PM Reply   
I have been more than happy with the sound, fit, finish, of the Hollow Points. These are not a replacement to NVS, Wetsounds, HSE or any of the other manufactures. They are an addition to a small market and a option that everyone should look into. Some may still prefer the sound of NVS or Wetsounds. I like the sound of the Hollow Points in every application I have used them on so far. I also like the sound of the Pro80s with MB-8s. This goes to show that my listening habits are more midbass filled than all tweeter. Some have told me that more tweeter is better for thier ears. The Hollow Points have surprised me how efficient they are. They are so efficient that the next step is to take 4 of the Hollow Point 650 speakers and install them to a Harley with 2 small 2ch amps!

If anyone is in the central or northern California area give me a call and I can let you know when I have a boat playing with the Hollow Points that you can listen to. I have a Sanger V215 in that will be playing tomorrow late afternoon or Saturday. We also have a Centurion that will be there most of next week available to listen to. With 7 boats in right now and more ready to come in I almost always have a boat playing to listen to. I am there mon-fri and available to come most saturdays to meet anyone WWer who is interested. If you are only available Saturdays just be sure to call me early the Friday before to arrange it.

Since there have been so few options on the market for "Pro Audio" I have noticed a loyalty towards brands. I think that if you like something and have a dedication to it, buy it. If you are like me you will want to know your options and see whats new and if its worth a try or not.

For any dealers / installers reading this:

Upload

^^^^^^^^This is the demo setup that Scott is talking about.^^^^^^^^
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-17-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
damn they looks sweet blacked out
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-17-2008, 10:41 PM Reply   
Marty - Your set up looks great. I'm surprised no one has mention that it looks like there is an LED ring set up on the Hollow Points.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-18-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
The trailer just arrived..here is another teaser..
Upload

There are blue LED light rings around the speakers...good eye, Ben!

McFly
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-18-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
I see grey....is this a true murder?
Looking forward to see the final project...
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-18-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
Two Tone Trailer..Two Tone Boat..Black and Charcoal.

McFly
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-18-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
Marty- sounds very clean, looking forward to checking it out in person. Can we please get a decent Thursday night to ride? No Tornadoes and hail storms are preferred!
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-20-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
Marty, I saw you towing it home yesterday on 121. We were leaving the lake a few cars behind you. That boat is SWEET! Best looking Supra I have ever seen (aside from mine) ;)

Now post up the pics man.
Old     (earmark_marine_audio)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-23-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
Craig,
Marty ask me to reply since we did the system. All specs are at 14.4 volts and at two-ohms which is the load on all channels. Two fan-cooled Boston Acoustics amplifiers are used.
The GT-50 delivers 4x85 watts to eight Polk Audio DB coaxils in the coaming and 350 watts mono to a Boston Acoustic G2 12-inch subwoofer coupled to a 12-inch passive radiator.
The GT-24 delivers 2x275 watts to the four Bullet HollowPoint 770s on the tower. I would be glad to answer any other questions.

Howie
WWW.EarmarkMarine.com
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-23-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
Howie - Sounds like it is a pretty sweet set up. How does the G2 work with the Radiator? We are used to using them with the G3 and G5 and soon the SPG but not the G2.
Old     (earmark_marine_audio)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-24-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
Ben,
It worked great! We also use the G5 with a passive radiator. It hits like a W7 but takes less power to drive and requires less displacement.
But in this case we chose the more efficient G2, because we wanted to balance it with the lowpass power of the GT50. Whether the G2,G3 or G5 with a PBR, its all good. Its just a matter of matching up efficiency and power handling of a given amplifier. Try it, you will like it.

Howie
www.earmarkmarine.com