Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (jrlwisco)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-13-2007, 9:42 PM Reply   
I bought a Quiksilver Syncro 3/2 about a month and a half ago. I first opened it and noticed it was a little smelly (neoprene/plastic), but I was like, "Ah, sweeeeet. New wetsuit smell!" I figured it would go away after getting it in the water a couple of times.

Well, it's been in probably 5 or 6 times and the smell persists. People walk into my dorm and always ask, "Why does it smell like a skunk in here?" I always reply "It's my wetsuit." Is there anyone to get rid of this smell? It's not a big deal since I won't be at university in a week, but it is annoying and really smelly.
Old     (mobius67)      Join Date: May 2007       05-13-2007, 10:04 PM Reply   
hand wash it with some good detergent, and sun dry it, if that doesnt work, then its the actual materials smell, and you cant get rid of it
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-13-2007, 10:17 PM Reply   
Wash it w/ dish washing detergent and hang dry it outside. By the way, stop peeing in your wetsuit.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-13-2007, 10:38 PM Reply   
If it's "new car smell", then that's just how it's going to be forever and it shouldn't be too offensive. If it's "BO smell", then that's your nasty sweat (or piss) and you need to give it a serious rinsing.

Don't wash it in detergent, that will make the neoprene break down. You can run it on gentle in a front loading washer (don't use a top loader) with no detergent to give it a nice long soaking. Or hang it up and hose it down really well.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-14-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
Where ever you purchased it from should have some special cleaner designed for wetsuits. Wash it by hand soaking it in a tub. Then let it air dry outside for a little while.

The smell of neoprene is something you will come to enjoy...it means play time!
Old     (thedangcorn)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-14-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
Did you pee in it? That should do the trick :0
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-14-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
we know you peed in it
just wash it with something soapy and rinse well.
there is never ever a time when it is OK to piss in your wetsuit, ever. it will stink its pee.
some people take a while to learn this simple lesson it does not matter how cold it is, how much water youve been drinking, or anything else just don't do it, unless you want to earn an unflattering nickname: Stinky
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-14-2007, 1:02 PM Reply   
Woolite soak, rinse well, air dry.
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-14-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
Don't eat asparagus the night before you ride.
Old     (jrlwisco)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2007, 6:17 PM Reply   
Hah, thanks for all the suggestions.

No worries, I haven't pee'd in the wetsuit yet. I'll take it home Thursday and clean it up. Hopefully that'll work.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-14-2007, 7:00 PM Reply   
haha who doesnt pee in a wetsuit. haha what kooks.
rinse your wetsuit out after each use and hang it up to dry.
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-14-2007, 7:47 PM Reply   
WINDEX!!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-14-2007, 8:10 PM Reply   
there are two kinds of people: those who pee in their wetsuit, and those who lie about it.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-14-2007, 9:58 PM Reply   
I don't pee in my wetsuits. I do pee often in my D.U.I. drysuit though...
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-17-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
The thing I love about peeing in my wetsuit is the "Booty Juice." When all the pee gets washed down into your booties. When you take off your booties you shower your friends with "Booty Juice." They love it!
Wadd$
PS, my wetsuit stinks but I pee in mine.