Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-06-2004, 5:04 AM Reply   
I was just wondering on what the big difference between the Wakeboard Tower and A Pylon are...I recently built my own pylon...but always wanted to upgrade to the Tower...but is it really worth it if you don't add speakers, lights and board racks? It only cost me about $75 for the pylon and looking at prices on towers...they are slightly more......I have an 1986 Dixie Super Skiier and don't know if the Tower is really worth the $$...so any main advantages to the tower?? Thanks for any input...
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-06-2004, 8:16 AM Reply   
if your not concerned about storage for your boards, just save your money and stick with your pylon! If it aint broke... why fix it?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-06-2004, 8:58 AM Reply   
The The only real advantage with the tower is the strength. Pylons tend to flex and pull the boat to one side when edging. Towers are a lot stronger and distribute the tension over a wider area so the pull doesnt effect the boat path as much. What is your skill level and what tricks do you plan on learning? A pole will suit you fine if you are working on basic inverts and such.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-06-2004, 9:33 AM Reply   
Performance is the same. Boat roll only depends on the point in space where the rope is attached. If the pylon and tower place the tow point at the same spot, performance will be identical. A little flex won't be noticeable either. Some towers allow more lateral flex than a good pole anyway.

The advantage of a tower is convenience: no cable if you have an open bow, board racks, speakers, lights, bimini, and easy folding. If you have an older ski boat, once you fill all your sacks, I bet you don't have much space. That alone is enough reason to have a tower w/ board racks, IMO. If you're pretty handy, know your physics, and don't mind a DIY look, you can certainly make your own tower and racks pretty cheaply. Or you can spend about $700 for a mini-tower and racks, $1000 for a Monster Tower and racks, or more for other towers. Add about $350-400 for racks or make your own.

Another option is a hull-mounted rack. I've just recently seen these on the market. I think they were at wakeside.com. I cannot remember the brand.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       09-06-2004, 4:03 PM Reply   
Woo-Hoo! Another Dixie Skier owner.. Thought I was on the only one on these boards w/one, yet even heard of one. See profile for pic of it.

I've got a tower w/board racks on mine, board racks are some of the best things you can add to that boat. I picked up a pair of them for like $250, They're nice machined ones. The Dixie is a small boat and w/fat sacs and boards there is zero room. I'd get a monster tower for it.. Had Monster been around when I had a tower custom fabbed I would have gotten one.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-06-2004, 5:01 PM Reply   
Wow...nice too hear there are others with this boat...I just picked it up this year...I am liking the Monster...but unsure if it is worth it for me...I live on a small lake up here in Massachusetts...I like the looks of them...haven't added any sacs yet still trying to figure out where or how to setup...thanks for the info guys...another question...is it illegal to wakeboard at night? I see the setups some of these guys have with the lights pointing everywhere...but are they just for looks or are they functional...I will add pictures to my profile of the boat when I take some good ones...
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-06-2004, 5:24 PM Reply   
it is illegal to ski at night [atleast in texas}.water cops usualy dont come out at night. it is still hard to see where your goin at night even with 50000 watts of light. it is fun.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-06-2004, 5:26 PM Reply   
As far as weight goes, since you have a direct drive, you'll want a big sack in the back. The Get High Sports 750-pounder is a good deal. Then, you can play with the balance using some sand bags or something under the bow (if you have an open bow, you can throw a sack up there too). Then, for more weight, get some relatively narrow sacks for the sides of the engine box. You can usually also slide those back and forth to play with the balance.

Basically, buy one huge sack and two that will fit on the sides of the engine. Then go from there.

One thing people will tell you is that if you have an old prop on that old boat, you can really benefit from a new Acme prop once you start adding weight.

As far as night riding goes, check your state and local laws.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-08-2004, 6:30 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info...I will check on the prop setup...I think I will definitely need that if I add weight..

882001 - we have a good time at night...but want to try and squeeze as much riding out of the day...starting to get dark early up here in Massachusetts...thanks...

Salmon - thanks I am watching a lot of the EBAY stores...I am new to wakeboarding but still experimenting...figure good winter project is Tower...if they are worth it...and then hook up a ballast system...

Thanks again guys...great site...very informative...

later