Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (hyperboarder05)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-27-2008, 12:41 AM Reply   
I was reading in an old wakeboarding mag when i came across this Ronix ad that said to get out and ride on August 12. it went on to be a self proclaimed wakeboarding day. so if it doesn't already exist, i think that a National Wakeboarding Day is a GREAT idea. So i'm saying that we need to make it happen, that is if it doesn't yet. We need an official day to dedicate to the sport that is very near and dear to our hearts. Maybe we could go with August 12? What does everybody think?
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-27-2008, 5:36 AM Reply   
I think it's a great idea. We are trying to get a "put your boat back in the water day" going here. The date is set as April 19th. There were a few of us who were very depressed when we took the boats out for the winter, so we set this date as the one to look forward to.
You don't have to get in the water, might still be a little chilly, but the boats go back in the docks that day.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-27-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
i think everyday should be a national wake day?
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-27-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
^^^ Ditto.

But if we do have a national wake day, it should be in the middle of the summer IMO. Would be pretty cool... Maybe eventually get boardshops across the country to do stuff for it...
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-27-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
you guys have got to be kidding me ,where do you live,where there is no real wakeboard scene?

can you imagine the boat ramps,parking lots and worse ,all the boats on the water at the same time?

its bad enough at local watering holes in the summer already and you want to have a day where everybody who is anybody on the water at the same time??

no way lewt me know whne this is happening and ill be riding the day before and the day after :-)

concept may sound cool but have you ever been to a wakeboard event like the 3 day or 4 day deal ?its pretty bad sharing water with all those people allthough it is fun but tbhis would be 300percent more people on the water...

no thanks
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-27-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
it does sound cool, but im going to have to agree with bill.....sadly!!!!!!!! sorry guys but id rather have the lake to myself.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-27-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
Well, we've got a decent sized wakeboarding scene here, but it's a 40 mile long lake, so there's plenty of room for everyone. Usually when I go out I see at least 5 wakeboarders in the same section of water as me.

But the idea would be to get people to celebrate wakeboarding moreso than riding... Riding would be a good thing to do, but huge parties all over would be pretty tight IMO...

(Message edited by wakeboardern1 on February 27, 2008)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-27-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
What about two days (for those south of the equator) ? or one that fits both hemispheres best? (gota think of our brethren (and sisters) down under and such)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-27-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
mmmmmm..... sounds like go skateboarding day. I am in you pick the day and I will ride.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-27-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
I agree with Nick. More of a day to celebrate than having pristine riding conditions. Sounds like fun to me.

Aug 12th is a Tuesday, and would prevent many persons from participating. My vote would be for a weekend day, even though it would be more crowded. Heck, here is S.D. our lakes are not even open on Tuesday. We only have 2 to choose from, and one of those will probably be closed down by then. I know, not everyone's problem, but if this day was to happen, us here in So Cal would sure like to be involved. Great idea though.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-27-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
I was thinking the exact same thing as Bill when I read the initial post. Also I do not think there will be a lot of solidarity for something like this unless EVERY manufacture and local shop got on the same page and promoted the heck out of it.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-27-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
Right, we'd need a lot of support from industry people, but I think it could be pulled off. I know that when Brostock came down to SML, our boardshop had a signing session where they provided a ton of free food, and we had a good 200 people hanging around that boardshop. That's not to mention how many people show up for their annual competition. I think that if we can get in touch with our local boardshops, they could definitely promote it.

Now, if people on this forum that have some pull with the major manufacturers talk to a rep or something, and they could help out, it would be way more successful. The first year may not turn out as big as you would hope, but the growth will be exponential in years after. Things only get big after 2 or so years. If something like this was organized and was even mildly successful (think of all of the potential marketing companies could get out of this, we could hopefully introduce a lot of new people to the sport...), then it would be worth it to put on the next year, in which case people would remember how awesome it was the year before, and they'd recommend it to their friends and stuff like that.

Basically, National Wakeboarding Day would be like a day of promotions, maybe sales on stuff, more widely seen demos, partying on lakes with a large amount of people, that kind of thing. Essentially it would be a Brostock type thing on a national scale versus a party on just one lake.

But just think about how much exposure the sport would get if something like this were to happen. I would bet money that people, if they get cheap instruction from sponsored riders at boardshops and stuff, would buy boards. They'd buy equipment, clothing, sunglasses, and those who have the money would buy boats. Something like this would have the distinct potential to kick wakeboarding into the genuine mainstream, kind of like water skiing and NASCAR. I'm not sure how NASCAR is popular, but it has a much larger following than wakeboarding, and while much smaller than professional sports like football and baseball, it would still be a huge advancement in the sport's reputation, besides, we wouldn't want to be that big. It would bring out the annoying people and the tools...

Along with the discounts, promotions, demos and stuff, the day could also be used to educate people about boat driving, courtesy, safety, and the effects of wake on the environment, since so many city, town, and county councils don't understand this kind of stuff. We explain proper safety, which would include the use of lifejackets, the not following of boats with riders out by jetskis, and that type of thing.

The sheer number of possibilities that this concept opens up is ridiculous. Yes, there will be the jackasses who hurt themselves and/or others, and may make our sport look bad, but they're doing that anyways. This would merely be a way to show people who don't understand the sport that it isn't filled with the jackasses that they think it is.

My 20 dollars.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-27-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
If a day of the week is chosen then it should be like Easter and say that the 1st or second or third... ________(fill in the blank with the day name)

It could also be held at some significant lake
Orlando one year, Washington somewhere another year, Lake Powell, etc.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-27-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
Right, like have a primary location for it, but still have it celebrated everywhere, just cause... But the big stuff would go down at one specified spot.

Something like this would take a while to organize, and it would be a miracle if it would happen this year, but next year could be a possibility if everything could be pulled together somehow...
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-27-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
like your thikin' / clarification nick