Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                08-30-2006, 8:00 PM Reply   
Stereo buffs please help... I bought a moomba lsv and it comes stock with 6 speakers. They are kenwood 2 way and look pretty basic. I was thinking of upgrading to the polks db525. Do you think this would be a big improvement? Or would I be better off just running an amp to the kenwoods. Of course I would amp the polks as well.

My 2nd question is how would I work the amp situation. Do I need a 6 channel amp? It seems wieird to have 6 speakers in the boat, not counting any tower speakers.

Would I notice a huge difference upgrading the speakers?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-30-2006, 10:03 PM Reply   
Do the amp, the difference between speakers may not even be audible.

If you still want to do the change, I am thinking that you would be more interested in the db650 or even the db675's. The db525's are smaller than any stock speakers that I have seen in recent boats. The db650/675s are a good call, lots of people here including me have used them very successfully in their boats. We put them in my buddies Malibu, he likes them, I might like them better than my MMC650's that came stock in my Nautique.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-30-2006, 10:06 PM Reply   
A2. Most of us run a four channel amp with the four main speakers on the rear two channels and the two bow speakers on the front channels. Most decent amps handle the mixed impedence load just fine.
Old                08-31-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
Hi Mike,

Your right they are not 5.25 they are 6.5. I measured wrong. Thanks for the help.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-02-2006, 10:14 PM Reply   
a 2ch amp will work fine as well, unless you will be doing alot of fading then go 4ch.

If you will be playing all speakers at the same level just get a good 2ch amp that will put out enough wattage per channel to run the load of 3 speakers per channel and your set.

It also depends on your deck as well. If you only have 1 set of preouts on the back, your not going to be doing any fading front/rear unless you get an external crossover/eq setup to do that.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-04-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
Mike,
I'd agree with most of what Mikski said, especially the amp part. Since we don't know what speakers you do have the assumption is that they are entry level...so are the dB series from Polk. The sensitivity on the dB is higher than the MMC series and will save you some money but that's about it. So, stepping up on the amp is a good call.
Just keep in mind that in a boat to get/enjoy higher fidelity, it takes better speakers and better power then you'd be looking at for a typical or comparable car install.
Good luck,
Duane
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-04-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
Oh, and as far as the amp goes, I know Mikeski and I have the same idea there. 1 for the interiors, 1 for the tower, 1 or more for the subs!
Wireing:
Front line outs for the interior
Rear line outs for the Tower,
sub out for subs....pretty simple this way.
Head unit fad tower in/out, sub stays constant.
Different products/different function, more control!