Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    thegman            02-15-2005, 2:59 PM Reply   
I would like to hear from anyone about the new V215. My research is comming up with the question as to why I would spend $10K more for a VLX...though I think they are fine boats!
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-15-2005, 4:07 PM Reply   
G-man -

Buy the Sanger...Buy the Sanger...Buy the Sanger! Wood is good...wood is good...wood is good!

Sangeria
Old    ripvanbl            02-15-2005, 4:14 PM Reply   
I'm sure many others will post on this topic as I found this forum a great resource when I was in the process of elimination.

My experience is that the V215 wake is more of a vertical wake (not quite as steep as the V210) as opposed to the VLX's more rampy wake. I don't know what specific questions you had, but from a performance standpoint I think the Sanger competes nicely with the VLX. It may not have some of the cool features the VLX has, but they are great boats for less money.

I have to post mine now that you asked

My Sanger V215
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-15-2005, 6:53 PM Reply   
i like the sangers a alot... they make a really nice boat..

the only perceiveable downside is the merc motor ( the indmar or pcm is a step up). otherwise i think they offer the best value and highest quality hands down ( my opinion- please take with a grain of salt)
Old    zboomer            02-16-2005, 6:53 AM Reply   
I don't think the difference is quite $10k, on fully negotiated "equivalent" deals -- depends on area of country, dealer, etc. Probably more like $6k. Aside from that, you just have to decide if the VLX is worth the extra money to you.

The Sanger is an awesome boat, but you pay less, you get less. That's just the way it works.

The VLX has a nicer interior (IMO the nicest available), better engine some think (Indmar), more modern tower options (Titan-III, Illusion-X, CFT Carbon-fiber Blade tower), more freeboard, Wedge, more advanced ballast options -- four tanks, all hard-tanks under the floor, with the "Ballast Monitoring System," all-fiberglass construction.

There are even other small things to consider, like the fact that the Sanger still uses pitot-tube speedo pickups if I'm not mistaken, whereas Malibu has moved to paddle wheels like many others, which don't clog. VLX has gasoline fill's on both sides of the boat, Sanger does not. Malibu's all have a removeable table standard, etc.

There's also more name recognition with Malibu, if that means anything to you.

Look and drive both, and decide if the differences are worth the difference in price. For many it's not, for some it is. Many decide the differences are just "icing" and not worth the cost to them. You decide, you'll be the one driving it!

I went through this same decision process a year ago (not Sanger, but the choice to go with a lesser-priced boat), and made one choice. It ended up being the wrong choice, and now I've got a new boat on order. Some things you thought you "could live with" end up bugging the hell out of you after the new wears off. Think carefully. :-)
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-16-2005, 8:24 AM Reply   
Don't listen to Micah, hes an escaped mental paitient... :-) j/k micah - I still need pulls this summer :-)

Hes got it all correct. But we'll see who has a better boat when I get my v215 vs his new VLX (lucky bastard).

On the Malibu side.. The Wedge is a huge selling point and the hard ballast tanks are better than the hard tanks in the sanger. The cool looking towers limit your OEM options for accessories (like swiveling racks, a high priority for me) but they do have lots of sizzle.

On the Sanger side.. The 05 v215 way out handles the 04 (I havnt been in a 05 yet) Malibu. But 05 did change the hull. The standard type towers give you tons of options from OEM add ons. The sanger boat has a 'no-frills' feel that is functional and (imo) works well. Sanger also had the best ride in rough water (very important to my wife)

I disagree with the $6k difference. I think its more like $10k if you compare simalarly equiped boats.

One of the factors that is exteriour of the boat is the dealer. Many boats are very close to performance options and costs (v215, 21V, VLX) but a good dealer that you trust is a super value. This is the guy that you need to go to when your baby is down and the warm weather is fading away.

The big test is that you must Ride behind them, drive them (when loaded w/ ballast) and also bring some friends/family along in the boat for their opinion.

BTW - Ive been boat shopping for the last year + and I decided on a Sanger V215 from a dealer 3 hours away from me. So I liked the sanger!
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-16-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
thegman;

to all those Sanger owners out there you know I would be in on this one. Well I am not going to go into the boat war. There is just one comment I have to reply to. "you pay less, you get less." very interesting comment. I do agree, Sanger does give you less billet trim and no table, dosen't have a Illusion tower. Malibu's interior if you judge the boats soley on that, Malibu wins hands down. But what are you buying, performance, strength, and ride. Then Sanger gives you more still for less money. Sanger does not put a ton of money into marketing our quality and name does that itself. I don't know the figure for malibu but it is ALOT higher and you pay for that in the cost of the boat. If you want to pay 6+ grand more for your boat then Malibu is a great choice but if you think Malibu is just a better boat because it coat more then you better re-evauluate your thoughts and really take a look at what you are paying for in a boat. You can not get more boat than what you will get in a Sanger. Dollar for dollar it is the best boat on the market.

(Message edited by Sanger215guy on February 16, 2005)
Old    zboomer            02-16-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
All that Chris says is true (except possibly the handling part, which is subjective), but I still question the $10k figure. :-)

You're correct in that if you get the Illusion tower, it limits your aftermarket options. More things are becoming available, but they are generally a little more expensive. Looks cool though. :-)

That's not the case for the Titan, however. It can accept almost anything, standard tubing. Swivel racks are available for it. You can hang any speaker from it.

You mentioned your negotiated "boat show" price on the V215 "loaded" was $45,500. That's with tower, bimini, tower speakers, PP, trailer, cover, "loaded", etc.

You can get an '05 VLX loaded up the about the same for around $50,500. $500 less if you don't get the 4th bow ballast tank (which isn't available on the Sanger.)

That's with PP, four ballast tanks, Illusion-X tower with bimini (Titan tower would knock off $220), cover, T/A trailer, docking lights, dual batteries, 2-pairs of cleats, wedge, Monsoon 340 engine, depth meter, fiberglass platform, in addition to all the standard stuff.

I'm not seeing $10k here. MSRP would be much higher, but there's a LOT of room to work down from MSRP on a Malibu.

Great point on the dealer though I forgot to mention. Very important point.

Anyway, Chris is a great example of someone who chose the Sanger, and is (or will be) happy with it. It's an awesome boat from what I've seen. My point is, everyone is different so it's up to you to decide if the VLX's advantages are worth the extra money.

I guarantee you'd love the Sanger, but would likely love the VLX also. We all tend to love the boat we're in, life is good on the lake.
Old    zboomer            02-16-2005, 9:14 AM Reply   
I knew I might shouted down because this is a Sanger Love Fest board, but I still suggest you check out both.

Obviously (based on sales numbers), many people consider the VLX worth the Premium (or X2, SAN, etc., pick your poison).
Old    thegman            02-16-2005, 9:38 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the responses...

Interesting how price has become a topic for discussion, so I thought I would add to it. I do understand that price is only one thing to consider.

The boatshow pricing I got included: V215, Black scorpion 330HP, wake series pack. II, Pro Flt. tower, board racks, 2 color bimini, sound, 2 pr pull up cleats, 200 series heater, PP, boat cover, trailer w/disc brakes, $42.7 K
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-16-2005, 10:40 AM Reply   
Thats about the same I got, but instead of a heater I had 2 Titan alpha 2 tower speakers plus amp. (above the standard stereo).

Also my racks were not the standard sanger racks, they were OEM swivel racks (wakeside battle racks I think).
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-16-2005, 11:42 AM Reply   
thegman;
Witch dealership are you going thru? I noticed you are in Danville and I was at the show in the Sanger booth. I was with Delta Sport Boat. We had three seperate dealers in the booth. I did speak to a few people from Danville. I will not tell you malibu is not a good boat because it is. Is Sanger a beter boat over all, Mabey. That becomes a loaded question. What you are looking for and what you want to pay. Some things Sanger does better thatn others and some we don't. I will not take anything away from the Malibu, it is a great boat. I consider it a little to pricey. I considered a Malibu last year but the dollar value was the decision for me. Micah has valid points for what malibu offers in there boats. I just cannot agree with less money is less boat. If you need any other info let me know.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-16-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
I own a sanger, but my next boat will most likely be a Malibu or MC. It's not because of value or quality, but because of BLING factor. Its a marketing image thing for our company to put its name on a mainstream boat. My Sanger is sweet and very well built, but so are BU's. I do think the 215 is the best deal around and I agree with the 10k price difference (at least in the bay area).

I will flat out say, and I've spent a lot of time in other boats, that the Sangers out drive everything around. Both acceleration and turning. Part of it is hull design and part of it is because they are smaller boats (I haven't driven the v-230), but they handle awsome when fully loaded.
Old    thegman            02-19-2005, 10:26 PM Reply   
Test drove a V215 today...man does that boat friggin' handle! Short of the moderate lack of bling on this boat...I'm calling it HIGHLY underrated.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-20-2005, 6:14 AM Reply   
Be sure you drive the VLX before you decide.

Did you ride behind the v215?
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-20-2005, 6:14 PM Reply   
Dave (oops...Gman)

Buy the Sanger...Buy the Sanger...Buy the Sanger!!!

Kman (aka Sangeria)
Old    thegman            02-21-2005, 4:45 PM Reply   
Driving the VLX this week.

Didn't ride behind the V215...too clod and rainy even in Cali right now.

Kent (oops...Kman), you are right, the sanger rocks!

Anyone have an opinion re: the X10?
Old    thegman            02-21-2005, 5:42 PM Reply   
Hey SANGeRIA,

Any problems with chipping of the powdercoat on your tower?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-21-2005, 5:50 PM Reply   
X10 is a beautiful boat but won't compare in wakeboard performance to the VLX or V215 IMO
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-21-2005, 7:47 PM Reply   
I have ridden behing them all, and I believe that the 215 is the best all around performance,wake,options for the price on the market...

BU your paying for extra BLING BLING (I DO LIKE)
great wake, good handling, top nothch interior...

MC your paying for advertising, sponsorship, avg wake (stock ballast sucks), below avg storage, the BEST TOWER AND RACKS on the market!!

Sanger your paying for TOP TIER WAKE, the best handling, good interior (not BU though), #1 buy for your money....

I LOVE MY SANGER 215,,,but I also do not have the "OWNERS GOGGLES" on!! I belive the X-Star is the best wake boat on the market, if you have the money, I would LOVE to have the MC tower and racks, with BU's interior, with the rest being my 215 and that would be my boat of choice!!
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-22-2005, 3:56 AM Reply   
Thats like saying I want Pam Andersons Body, with Audrey Hepburns head and a little bit of the wife mixed in so she won't mind me taking it out for a spin now and again.
Old    zboomer            02-22-2005, 7:13 AM Reply   
Hahah, sorry for the wasted post, but that's too funny Chris.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-22-2005, 8:02 AM Reply   
I do think that MC has one of the nicest towers out there but who wants to pay 9 grand for a tower?