Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-05-2011, 10:21 AM Reply   
Hi Guys,

Please share your review of the new Slingshot boards, it will help us make our mind on which model and size we should order.

I'm personally looking at ordering the Hooke in size 142 with RADs. (or a recoil) I'm 205lb maybe a little less for the next season. The wood core looks awesome and can't wait to see it in person.

I own or rode the following Slingshot:

2007 Response 145
2007 Recoil 142
2010 Response 142
2010 Recoil 142

I call my 2007s my wet noodles, they ride great but have a little bit too much flex.

I was a little bit sceptic on the 2010 before riding them, I taught that they would be too stiff and land hard. That was not the case and I love them. I also love that they are a little loose.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-06-2011, 6:35 AM Reply   
11 Response... loose and ridiculously fast. Little too soft for me on the boat but absolutely heaven at the cable/rails.

11 Recoil... significantly slower than the response but not a tank by any means. Great pop off the wake, and good landings, flexy on rails but nothing like the Response.

I chose the Recoil because I wanted to have one board for everything.... it rides great on the boat while still allowing for all the benefits of flex on rails. Vid of me and my buddy at McCormicks.... Recoil vs Reflex:
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-06-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
have not rode the new gear, but from what i have heard (and the one board i felt in a store, newton) the ballistic line is a wee bit stiffer than the others because of the carbon wrapped rails. they have very minimal channels too only about 1 cm deep that should add just a little bite. the hooke has a channel within a channel, which in a sense makes it have the the most significant/deepest channel. hope this helps.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-06-2011, 1:14 PM Reply   
the new ballistic line is sick! if your looking for something a little stiffer then thats the way to go!
Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-08-2011, 3:16 PM Reply   
Thanks guy.

I think I will order both (a newton 142 and a hooke 142)
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-11-2011, 6:43 PM Reply   
I'm really thinking about trying one of these this year. Keep the mini-reviews coming.
Old     (Wakeska89)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-11-2011, 7:26 PM Reply   
Yeah I really like hearing about slingshots new stuff too. I have been wanting to pick up a hooke, but I'm waiting to see what Lyman comes out with. Has anyone heard anything about his new board?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-20-2011, 7:04 PM Reply   
The latest Alliance issue mentions a tiny extra tid-bit about Lyman's board. April 2011 pg32 says, "Apparently the Lyman board is going to be a special edition and help support a great cause... more to come."

I am going to guess (emphasis on guess) that the Lyman board might be a special edition of---the Hooke, different graphics, and an automatic donation to a good cause---military possibly. ...But then again, there might be more to it and it might have a totally different look and feel? has there been enough time to make a specific model for him between signing him on and the beginning of this season? boards made in the USA, especially done CNC machined can go through prototypes and testing quickly.

Last edited by wakerider111; 03-20-2011 at 7:06 PM.