Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old    wake47            02-23-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Looking to take a vacation with the family and want to know what your favorite lake in Texas is. I live in central Texas so nothing to close to there. Any opinions?
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-23-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
never been to either but ive heard amazing things and seen phenominal pictures of both amistad and caddo. miles of glass on both!
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-23-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
well i would say that Lake travis and canyon lake and lake conroe are nice but i doubt you find glass unless you are out at 6 in the a.m.
Old     (txadam)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-23-2008, 2:36 PM Reply   
Amistad - head up the Devils River. It's like the Powell of Texas ...EPIC
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-23-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
dude theres already two threads on texas riding here on WW..this is becoming old..plus we have a site of our own ,a few actually on texas boarding..

why is everyone coming to ww for texas info when theres three clubs for riders in the biggest citys in tx with local websites...

search and you will find your info..
Old     (tl7)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-23-2008, 3:40 PM Reply   
why be an ass about it? jeez
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-23-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
just felt like it ..whats your excuse? :-)
Old     (tl7)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-23-2008, 3:45 PM Reply   
ditto
Old     (texasissippi)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-24-2008, 6:05 AM Reply   
there IS a possibility that maybe someone has some other things to do as opposed to keeping up on every post thats ever written on WW (im unfortunately not one of those who have something better to do)

chase, to answer your question, STAY AWAY from conroe. its a cool lake with drive up bars and stuff, but HORRIBLE water!!! the only places you can find water is surrounded by stumps and not a good idea if you are new to the area.

id suggest the trinity river if you are going to headed east. if you want any info just send me a PM or something and you wont have to deal with people being a $#!+ head!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-24-2008, 6:19 AM Reply   
hey im just saying theres answers on other post about halway down the front page with all the info he will ever need..no use wasting all the extra time and wasting space rehashing a new subject..theres also two other subjects on texas riding not far down either..

now you are name calling so i see you are the bigger man..

nice way to show me how to do it right.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-24-2008, 8:53 PM Reply   
I say that most riders never venture far from there home lake so you could post on 4 web sites, or this 1 web site. I vote for trinity river near Huntsvill you can stay at Bethy Creek Resort and have butter for days. never been to Amistad but have had friends go, they said it was sick.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-25-2008, 6:59 AM Reply   
I posted pics of both the trinity river and Lake Amistad in the other Tx thread. I live in Conroe now and can totally back the comment to stay away! I've taken the boat out there 3 times only to be limited to wake surfing because of the horrible chop.
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-25-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
due we a 4 time shares on lake conroe and we get plenty of riding everyday we are there with glass and maybe just a little ripple. you just have to know where the spots are. if you are going out in the middle of the day then of course you wont get glass. we are on the lake at 5.55 am and stay out till 11 am and then we are back out at 4 pm till dark with nice water conditions as long as it isnt raining ..
Old     (texasissippi)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2008, 5:54 AM Reply   
there are some good spots on conroe, but like you said, you have to know where to go. AND those good spots are mostly up north. one, you have to turn after every 3rd trick and the other, you have to get through a stump infested mine field to get WAY up north.

i like conroe, just wouldnt suggest it to someone looking for a vacation and doesnt know the waters very well.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-26-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
Justin's right! I went up to the stump mine field and didn't want to chance it! Then watched some crazy CC's and a couple MC's go through it at 40mph plus! They were on the far west bank, but I couldn't chance it!
Old     (bwyatt74)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
lake travis is easily the best in texas.... gorgeous water, great party areas, and awesome water up north on the lake.... second choice is lake possum kingdom but its kinda rough
Old     (texasissippi)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
easily? i agree for partying... but thats about it. i love travis but its not even my fav lake in austin!

i will agree that up north by the perd is awesome!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-26-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
another for possum kingdom
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
Good luck finding a lot of good water in Travis during the summer. Its more just a party lake in my opinion. I gotta say, there are a lot of better lakes than Travis in the Austin area. Not to mention the New Braunsfels/San Marcos area too
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
definetly the perd... man... nothing better
Old     (drwakeair)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-26-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
Yeah, most of the water I have seen on Lake Travis looks like Chopcity, except for the time I went riding in February a few years back. My choices would be Lake Austin down by the Mansfield Dam and the Dirty Dirty . Decker Lake can be get pretty glassy at times, but is quite dependent on the weather and other boats.
Old     (texasissippi)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
if we are going to talk about pure riding.... you cant beat the trinity. ive grew up there so i like riding at other places better, but where else can you wakeboard in one direction on butter, thats 25-40 ft deep, until your gas tank says 1/2, then turn around and head back?

outside of a private lake, you wont find better water!
Old     (texasissippi)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
a couple pics thanks to steve
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-26-2008, 6:41 PM Reply   
I've hit that
Old     (cody_08_lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
my spelling may be wrong but lake mqcuiny by TSR is like a small river that can have some killer butter at the right times of day! its also right next to TSR all of the lakes around there are good
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-27-2008, 5:54 AM Reply   
Lake McQueeney is BUTTER, especially when the wind is right, but if you know where to go, its always rideable somewhere. Thats where I do most all my riding. We've been riding it all month and its been great. However, during the summer its a mess, tons of people on the water and for anyone thats been out there before, you already know it really kills any chance of getting any good riding in. On the plus side, while everyone is partying at McQueeney, the other area lakes are pretty much wide open
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-27-2008, 9:07 AM Reply   
Its spelled McQuenny (I think, lol) LOTS OF STUMPS!! at least last time I was out there. And they are not just on the side, some right down the middle!

I've hit both! Dam, I'm a w hor e tee hee.
Old     (gbp09)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-27-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
brazos....
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-27-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
There are stumps in McQueeney, but if you stay away from the banks, you're fine, the lake is upwards of 40 ft. deep in parts and the rest fluctuates between 6 and 20 ft. or so. They got some high water at some point during the winter, because there were some docks and other flood debris deposited in places where it wasn't when we were last riding in late November. Most of the times when I've seen stumps or some other obstruction out in the main waterway, someone usually has it buoyed. Sucks you hit the stumps bro, its never fun, sorry to hear that
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-27-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
The Brazos is sick. Hey Justin, is that right out of Bethy Creek Resort? If not where is that, I would love to make a trip out there. I asked you before when you posted up some pics but those are different pics and I was just wondering where these were shot. Thanks for the response. The colorado up river at Lake Bucanan is also a killer spot to ride. I don't know if I have any pics but if I do I'll post them later. It is a little stumpy heading up there but when you get there it is awesome. There are 3 pretty tall waterfalls to play at and the first one you encounter you can jump off of. There is a place to stay at the top of the river can't recall the name but I will post it later and if you stay there they have a launch that is as far up river as you can go and then you don't have to worry about all the stumps unless you want to go out into the lake which is pretty much worthless for riding.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-27-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
The pics are from a stretch about 2-3 miles up river but its like that almost all the way. I have been to Trinity and the Brazos. Trinity hands down water is deeper fewer stumps. Bethy creek is sick weather you camp or stay in their resort either way you are right on the water.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-27-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
Hey Greg, Im pretty sure I know you just wanted to find out. I think I met you at one of the Sail and Ski tourneys in Frameswitch. I was the dock guy. I think you also just joined the texaswakeboarders forum. I have been working on making that a hopefully awesome event so I hope you can make it out on the 9th.

Thanks for the response. I can't wait to visit the Trinity and shred that sweet sweet butter.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-28-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
I will try as well as spread the word on he up and coming event.
Old     (dhands88)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-03-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
I call it texas ski ranch at Brazos river hands down the best if you havnt been there not telling you where its at
Old     (ebrown7)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-06-2008, 12:00 AM Reply   
I actually own a place on Lake LBJ (60 miles from Austin) that I rent out. Check out the image below. You can ride for 7 miles from my dock without making a turn! This picture was taken at around 8am the weekend before last. It was 93 degrees! I have also worked deals with local boat rental places. They will deliver a boat to my dock with boards, ropes, vests, etc. You just need to show up!

You can also see more on my website www.SunRiseCoveonLBJ.com

Upload
Old     (izzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-06-2008, 6:14 AM Reply   
About 1 1/2 hours north of Dallas (right off I35) is Lake Murray. The lake is in OK but is one of the best lakes that I have been on.
http://www.touroklahoma.com/detail.asp?id=1%2B5U%2B6446
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-06-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
Trinity River (I know not a lake) as it flows into Lake Livingston. About an hour north of Houston.